Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 Day Report: Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn't seem to be a consensus on where to put the EV charge port. I think many cars have it up front by the driver's side, while others have it in the rear. It's no longer tied to a gas tank necessitating it in the rear, so it may just be a design/preference choice. For me, it's perfect, as my breaker and outlet is a foot away from my car's rear.

I like the idea of the frunk - wish there was a way to open it w/o going through the app, like a hidden frunk button like the trunk. Then when I use it and close it, I leave fingerprints on the hood which I prefer not to do.

Regarding the Audio, I have no complaints. Like someone mentioned above, streaming can affect the quality. If playing some high quality MP3s don't improve things, I'd check the speakers like already suggested, or have the system checked out at the dealer.

I think it's pretty spectacular, and I'm not alone:

While I don't spend like I used to, and certainly don't have a $50K audio rig, I've got some decent gear (amps both SS and tube, multiple set of phones, some good loudspeakers) and even still use a CD player TEAC P650 (with an excellent Burr Brown DAC) And doing a little critical listening back and forth, using a good source (FLAC), I don't have anything negative to say about it.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
There doesn't seem to be a consensus on where to put the EV charge port. I think many cars have it up front by the driver's side, while others have it in the rear. It's no longer tied to a gas tank necessitating it in the rear, so it may just be a design/preference choice. For me, it's perfect, as my breaker and outlet is a foot away from my car's rear.

Split the difference and put it right in the center of the roof :D

I haven't played any games yet and have no clue how to play Backgammon, but it's funny to read that the car cheats. Wish Tetris was available.

I prefer to back into spots, so the charge port location was convenient, but I can see the other side of that argument. Did you opt for the 19" sport wheels? I bought it with the 18" Aeros, but swapped to the 19s with the summer tire option (Hankook)which made a very noticeable difference in cornering performance. That squirrely feeling I had was gone. The car is heavy, so there is still some lean, but the tires really grip. I may consider doing some suspension upgrades later on anyway.

At the end of the day, the tires matter a lot, so if you did get the 18's with the factory all-seasons, swapping to some performance-oriented tires should help.

Regarding the Audio, I have no complaints. Like someone mentioned above, streaming can affect the quality. If playing some high quality MP3s don't improve things, I'd check the speakers like already suggested, or have the system checked out at the dealer.
Factory 19's on mine. I am not really complaining about the handling - the ride is significantly smoother than my Camaro with pretty low miles. It is a fair trade off.

On the audio question, I spent a lot more time on it and I think part of the issue is the HD radio. Not something I've ever had, but my wife's car has it and I don't really like it there either. The sound is just too clean. Yes, I also like listen to vinyl records. Listening through the iPhone is a little better though sitting in a glass bubble is never going to be great for sound.

"4 - Got stuck in traffic leaving my daughter's graduation - basically at a stand still for 30 minutes. Played backgammon, and I'm pretty sure the car cheats to get perfect rolls at need."

I've said it before and I'll say it again...far and away the best use of the autopilot is in heavy traffic. Let the car do the constant inching up and stopping...makes bad traffic far less annoying.
Is that a FSD feature or does it work with standard autopilot? I've never tried it and always feel like it wouldn't actively brake for me at any speed. Are there specific settings you have for it to work well?

Pretty much agree on all points as well. I got mine on end of March 2020.... not a great time. I do wish the charge port was in the front as well. Backing in to charge is unnatural and weird to me.

Spent some time dinking around in the games and listening to music, because I sure wasn't driving anywhere. Played a lot of backgammon. Set it on Easy, and see how it played when they first shipped it. I stopped playing because that level was so comically lame and stupid. My reaction as a software guy is "why would you ship something that lame?" Later update adding in the SuperTesla from machine learning- much, much more impressive and interesting. It sometimes pisses me off and makes me think it's cheating- but really, that's just the nature of backgammon. Wish it had a doubling cube though.

Fallout Shelter and Stardew Valley are interesting time-slice games where you pick up where you left off.

For the audio- do not use the Tesla streaming Slacker channel, it's beyond pathetic. That's a 64kb MP3 stream. Not worth using, not worth shipping. Turn it off in the UI choices, and never look at it again.

The Spotify channel can be in high-quality mode, but you have to make sure your account is setup to always use HQ, no matter the network quality. Streaming bluetooth via phone can be good, but can also be subtly broken.

For the best quality possible, and what you need to try, use USB audio with wav or FLAC files. Set the Immersion to off, it breaks the sound stage. The LR/Premium audio is much, much better than you are describing there, which makes me think your source files are poor quality. Test it using music you know well, using wav files off USB and let us know what you think.

Travis profiled the LR audio using a calibrated microphone, this might help you set the EQ better. The quality of the stereo is very good.

And another REW trace:

Everyone is different, and some people will find the subwoofer lacking- open the rear seats to allow it to work better. At some point in time, Tesla removed the passthrough port from the trunk, so current cars have a totally sealed trunk. If it's still not enough, there are aftermarket subs like the NVX that will make the car shake.

Last edited:
The charge port is located there so that the huge 600A wiring can make a very short run to the inverter under the back seat. Every car does the same thing so you can guess where the inverter is on the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt and you can also guess why they don't have frunks or RWD/AWD options.

There's a style consideration as well, a big rectangular Chevy-style "gas door" on the fender changes the look of the car. It also increases the cost of the bodywork, especially when an alternate version needs to be produced on the other side for people who drive wrong.

The stereo is fantastic when playing average quality MP3's and is pretty damn good when streaming too, most of the time. But some streaming sources/songs can certainly be lacking. I've settled on EG settings of +3/2/1/2/3 with "Immersive sound" off.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 225314.jpg

Last edited:
On the audio question, I spent a lot more time on it and I think part of the issue is the HD radio. Not something I've ever had, but my wife's car has it and I don't really like it there either. The sound is just too clean. Yes, I also like listen to vinyl records. Listening through the iPhone is a little better though sitting in a glass bubble is never going to be great for sound.

If your old Corolla has better sound something's not right. Try a v shape curve in your EQ settings? To me Slacker can sometimes sound a little neutered unless you crank the volume a bit, so the source definitely matters. Immersive audio on high + at least audio from your phone should give you a better listening experience. Maybe you've just convinced yourself the car has too much glass and can't sound good! Or your Corolla has some secret 18-speaker Burmester sound system lol.

Minor quirks with the streaming channels provided by Tesla:

-Why is there no "back" track selection? Only "next"?
-Is there no way to toggle between stations using the steering wheel buttons and wheels? My 2011 Charger did this.
-No way to move station order around without deleting/re-adding stations?

Again just small UI quirks that I noticed instantly when I first started using the audio. Seems like they are all very easy fixes.

Even though the quality isn't always as good as playing a sound file directly, I do enjoy the Tesla streaming channels. I get to hear old songs I forgot about (which I end up Shazaming), and I love using the voice recognition feature. I also like the selections they choose for a given genre.

I wish Tesla supported Youtube Music directly though as I'm not a big Spotify fan.

Minor quirks with the streaming channels provided by Tesla:

-Why is there no "back" track selection? Only "next"?
-Is there no way to toggle between stations using the steering wheel buttons and wheels? My 2011 Charger did this.
-No way to move station order around without deleting/re-adding stations?

Again just small UI quirks that I noticed instantly when I first started using the audio. Seems like they are all very easy fixes.
What's included is Slacker 'Internet Radio'. Can you go back when you listen to radio? No. Have you ever listen to Pandora? Pandora is also internet radio and you can't go back. Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, etc, etc are streaming services, NOT internet radio.

What's included is Slacker 'Internet Radio'. Can you go back when you listen to radio? No. Have you ever listen to Pandora? Pandora is also internet radio and you can't go back. Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, etc, etc are streaming services, NOT internet radio.
Interesting though is that XM does let you go back. That being said it is up to the service what they include in their app.