Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never got an email but under my account it says that my connection ends 12/31/19. But under the explanation page it says that used vehicles will get 1 year free... my one year ownership for my 2014 is March. Plus I have the premium / tech package which means that since it’s a 2014 it she be free for life? I’m so confused about this.

Reactions: DeynerSeals
Wait up.

So if you buy a used MS privately you get to keep all the original features, but if you buy a Tesla CPO then you lose them.
That can't be right can it?

How many people buying CPO are aware of this, I bet most (myself included and now cursing my stupidity) just think you are buying a used car with it's original spec. How cery wrong.
That is probably the one scenario they can make it fly. Since they bought the car back from the original owner, they owned it before reselling it as CPO, and during that ownership they can do whatever they want to the car, removing options, heck even repainting, or adding a hole in a roof. Now, the fact that people assumed some option was there is how Tesla marketing works. For example, they sold the P85D with 691hp spec, so most people assumed the car would produce that power, then once they stopped making that model, they came back with "not our problem you assumed that, only the motor is capable of that hp, but you'd need 50% more power than the battery can safely supply for the motor to be able to reach that number". Elon is a ruthless businessman, and using his genius to take "car salesman" to a whole new level. More recently Tesla lawyers managed to reinterpret the 4 year warranty on the S/X screens as void if customer exposes the screen to any oxygen - judge that any way you want to.

Well damn. My Tesla account has always said Unlimited Premium Connectivity, though I haven’t checked it in a few weeks. Prompted by this thread, I checked it again and it says “Complimentary Period Ending on December 31, 2019”. I bought my 2014 P85D “CPO” from Tesla in April 2019.

I have to admit I stream Spotify constantly (and did Slacker before Spotify was available). But with an aging MCU1, I’m not exactly getting the full premium experience like streaming video (not that I would probably use that, but still...)

My sales guy definitely told me clear as day that, just like unlimited Supercharging, unlimited data would be grandfathered in. I’m pretty bummed about this. I agree that $10 isn’t a terrible cost though. Is anyone else with a older (MCU1, 3G) “CPO” acquired after the July 2018 cutoff considering subscribing? I was also going to complain here about not getting full use of the $10/month connectivity because I still have only a 3G modem, but honestly it seems plenty fast enough for maps and streaming and seems to get a more reliable signal than my friends’ Teslas with LTE.

Last edited:
I really doubt that. Tesla navigation uses Google Map navigation. And traffic info is built into Google Map navigation for free. So I doubt that Google will make a separate routing scheme just for Tesla users without premium connectivity.

No they don't. They use their own maps and routing engine. (Google is only used for displaying the map/satellite background.)
Though when they first announced this they said that the initial route will take traffic into account, but you won't see it. But, it won't monitor traffic to re-route you unless you have premium connectivity. I don't know if that is still true or not.

As a corollary... I’ve got a 4G Jetpack mobile hotspot for my work. If I were to keep it in my car, could I somehow connect it while driving to use it’s data? I’ve been able to connect it like a wi-fi network while the car is off or parked, but I always defaults to the car’s cellular connection the instant I start driving.

Reactions: dbldwn02
As a corollary... I’ve got a 4G Jetpack mobile hotspot for my work. If I were to keep it in my car, could I somehow connect it while driving to use it’s data? I’ve been able to connect it like a wi-fi network while the car is off or parked, but I always defaults to the car’s cellular connection the instant I start driving.

You just need to go into the WiFi settings and connect it once you go into drive. It is supposed to remember WiFi networks that you have connected to in drive and not disconnect in the future when you shift to drive, but I don't think it always works.

From the connectivity FAQ:

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available to Standard Connectivity owners over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

So you can get somethings over WiFi, but probably not satellite maps or live traffic visualization. (Or the free Slacker account.)

Last edited:
Well damn. My Tesla account has always said Unlimited Premium Connectivity, though I haven’t checked it in a few weeks. Prompted by this thread, I checked it again and it says “Complimentary Period Ending on December 31, 2019”. I bought my 2014 P85D “CPO” from Tesla in April 2019.

I have to admit I stream Spotify constantly (and did Slacker before Spotify was available). But with an aging MCU1, I’m not exactly getting the full premium experience like streaming video (not that I would probably use that, but still...)

My sales guy definitely told me clear as day that, just like unlimited Supercharging, unlimited data would be grandfathered in. I’m pretty bummed about this. I agree that $10 isn’t a terrible cost though. Is anyone else with a older (MCU1, 3G) “CPO” acquired after the July 2018 cutoff considering subscribing? I was also going to complain here about not getting full use of the $10/month connectivity because I still have only a 3G modem, but honestly it seems plenty fast enough for maps and streaming and seems to get a more reliable signal than my friends’ Teslas with LTE.

I’m in the same boat as you, and don’t plan to give Elon another dime. This policy is unethical, to remove a feature that was part of a past deal. I totally get that his business model is essentially a steaming pile of crap, but you don’t penalize people who took advantage of the terms you offered at the time they made a deal with you.

How is anyone to trust anything this company says with all the unannounced, retroactive changes they like to make to policies and feature sets??

Same boat as you and being MCU1 I'm not sure its worth it unless you really need the live traffic and slacker. $10 per month isn't bad though. I've tried to use my iPhone as a hotspot before but never got it to work.

But one thing is for sure, I'm just glad we still have free unlimited supercharging for life, which is more important for me

No they don't. They use their own maps and routing engine. (Google is only used for displaying the map/satellite background.)
Though when they first announced this they said that the initial route will take traffic into account, but you won't see it. But, it won't monitor traffic to re-route you unless you have premium connectivity. I don't know if that is still true or not.

Did not know that. Thanks. I stand corrected.

Reactions: democappy
Being an MCU1 car with 3G this isnt a huge issue for me since I only really want the streaming slacker. But I was also told at the time of purchase that unlimited supercharging and data service to the MCU would be free for the life of my car. How exactly can this be legally taken away? I can't find it anywhere in writing, but I also can't find anywhere that it was only temporary.

• Informative
image.png

I pay $5/month ($10 w/o autopay discount) for this for my wife's Outlander PHEV.
- 2GB of LTE (which would probably get chewed up by one Tesla update)
- Wifi for everyone in the car
- Coverage is decent
- GPS tracking on car
- I know the M3 doesn't have an OBDII port but I believe the S/X do

Not the most ideal solution but if you're mad at Tesla and you want to pay half of what they're charging.

The wording of the updated policy on connectivity needs editing. The policy states that the premium connectivity for cars ordered pre-7/1/2018 lasts for the “lifetime of the car.” Both of our Teslas fall into the pre-7/1/2018 category (and our S has free Supercharging also for the lifetime of the car). Too bad Tesla seems to interpret “lifetime of the car” as meaning if we own your car as a used car someday, “lifetime” doesn’t apply. But at least their policies on free lifetime Supercharging and connectivity should mention that caveat.

• Informative
Being an MCU1 car with 3G this isnt a huge issue for me since I only really want the streaming slacker. But I was also told at the time of purchase that unlimited supercharging and data service to the MCU would be free for the life of my car. How exactly can this be legally taken away? I can't find it anywhere in writing, but I also can't find anywhere that it was only temporary.

I agree. I cant find it in writing anywhere either except for the new page (Connectivity)

What next, a new webpage that states $5 a month to have your your door handles retract automatically or the use your fog lights?

I’m in the same boat as you, and don’t plan to give Elon another dime. This policy is unethical, to remove a feature that was part of a past deal. I totally get that his business model is essentially a steaming pile of crap, but you don’t penalize people who took advantage of the terms you offered at the time they made a deal with you.

How is anyone to trust anything this company says with all the unannounced, retroactive changes they like to make to policies and feature sets??

Where are you guys seeing this listed in your account? When I bought my AWD M3, one of the many reasons I went for the AWD over the SR+ was the premium connectivity included. There was no time limit mentioned (and I don't see it actually itemized on any of the purchase paperwork)