Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% American Made...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure Musk is anti-union but don't quote me on that.

Not quite:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-elon-musk-no-need-for-unions-just-fire-the-*******s-2009-6

ElonMusk said:
“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an *******, they had recourse.’
“I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no *******s.’ I fired someone for being an *******. And I only had to do that once, actually.”

I'm very happy with the pieces of my Tesla(s) that come from the USA, Japan, Germany, England, France and other countries with ( mostly ) responsible justice, environmental, labor and human rights practices.
When you look at the lifetime TCO of an ICE car purchased and operated in the USA, a huge chunk of it comes from OPEC, Russia, Mexico and Canadian tarsands in the form of oil.
I'm very happy that my electrons come from the USA, and no significant part of the lifetime TCO sends dollars where I don't want them to go.

I doubt that any other vehicle has a better TCO story in this regard than Tesla.

.../ I'm pretty sure Musk is anti-union but don't quote me on that.

Not quite:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-elon-musk-no-need-for-unions-just-fire-the-*******s-2009-6

ElonMusk said:
“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an *******, they had recourse.’
“I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no *******s.’ I fired someone for being an *******. And I only had to do that once, actually.”
A working link to that Musk quote:

Tesla Motors Musk: Let Me Run Detroit | Wired Business | Wired.com

Tesla is 100% not unionized. I believe that was in the Wired Model S "Through the window" video. /...
Anyone have link to that Wired video?

I remember watching a longer interview with Elon on what I think was Fox Business. The 45-year-old or so woman reporter asked the question. Paraphrasing Elon's response: He/Tesla are neutral on this issue. At that time though (don't remember when), the workers were not unionized. But I guess that means that if the workers want to form a union, then they are free to do so.
I found that video:

CEO: Tsunami of Hurt Coming for Those Shorting Tesla
Spacex CEO Elon Musk talks to FBN’s Liz Claman while giving an exclusive tour inside Tesla’s Model S plant.
Sep 13, 2012

At ~4:22:

CEO: Tsunami of Hurt Coming for Those Shorting Tesla | Fox Business Video

My transcript:

…/

FBN’s Liz Claman: This is a non-union plant – correct?

EM: That’s correct. [And then talking over Claman’s immediate follow-up and adding: (My edit.)] But it used to be union when it was Toyota and GM – it was union.

LC: Is that something you want to avoid?

EM: You know – we’re neutral on that subject, but there’s not, never even been a union vote – we’ve not done any anti-union measures, but there doesn’t seem to be any desire on the part of people here to form a union.

LC: [Changes subject.]
To me it seems Elon is being honest in that quote from 06.15.09 in Wired. So I guess it’s possible that that has been his real opinion all along since then, and that he’s therefore not being completely honest in the interview with FBN ~3 years and 3 months later…

Last edited:
Mine is similar "Made in America" "Pure Electric Speed" (stolen from someone on this site!) I would not have bought the Tesla if it were not produced by a American company. I hate to see the profits heading off to other countries and adding to our already sad trade deficit.

Then again, I'm probably quaint (hopefully of the attractively unusual variety:biggrin:)

quaint
kwānt/
adjective

attractively unusual or old-fashioned.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if I had it to do again I would have "Powered by electrons", "Pure American Speed!"

I once heard a speech by Robert Reich when he was Clinton's Secretary of Labor. He and his wife were looking for a new car and (being the Secretary of Labor) they were concentrating on American brands. They were in a dealership and found a car they really liked. He asked the salesman, "What is this car, American or foreign?" The salesman, who did not recognize him, paused for a minute and then said, "What would you like it to be?"

There is more to Tesla then the US :) As a European I don't care where the car comes from. I buy a Tesla because it's a Tesla, not because it's a American made car.

In the modern globalized world complex things like cars aren't manufactured in one country.

+1

I guess the "American made" argument - as in patriotism - is much more important to Americans than to us Europeans. Most German cars are manufactured all over the World, from parts that are also produced in many different countries. And like you, I couldn't care less.

I buy a car if I feel it suits my needs, offers me good value for money, and if it happens to be from a German manufacturer, all the better. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

This is correct. The rules require 60% of manufacturing inputs to be made in the NAFTA region. The Model S falls a few percent short on that. But assembling the car clearly adds significant value. I wouldn't hesitate to call it "Made in America".

Of course it is made in America. That many parts come from all over the world doesn't change the fact that final assembly is in California. And the most important part - reearch, development and design, was also done there. So be proud that there is finally a company again that designs and produces cars in America that are truly great - compared to all the ICE crap that Detroit is throwing on the market...