Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$100 Order fee is a fee, and not a deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the same discrepancy between the "amount due" on my account details page versus my MVPA. The MVPA lists the $100 as a "fee", and is not deducted from my final due amount.

Edit: My Operations Advisor responded to this question and said that it is a fee, not a deposit. So it isn’t subtracted from the final cost of the car when you buy it. That won’t stop me from taking delivery but clearly this policy is not reflected in the Account Details price breakdown. Sloppy.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
For anyone interested - I did my delivery last weekend and was told the $100 order fee was on top of the car's price. I questioned them about the other invoice that was posted here that said it was a deposit and they said it might have changed recently. So anyone who sees the order "fee" in the invoice will be paying the $100 on top of the purchase price of the car.

This thread got me all upset. I wasn’t going to pay out of principal even if it meant not getting the car (just kidding) so I went back and looked through my emails to get the initial email after I placed the order hoping to have proof it said deposit because when I was reading the earlier post I was sure it did.

After checking it says... order fee in my case it has clearly said it from the beginning for me. Ordered 11/22. Older orders where it changed, if you have proof I’m pretty positive you can probably talk to someone at some level to waive or credit that.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
If I had to guess what happened, it went something like this:

1) Elon decides to drop the order fee to $100 but never clarifies whether it’s a fee or a deposit.
2) Someone in IT programs the $100 as a fee.
3) Lots of customers complain. Initially salespeople assume it’s a mistake and manually adjust the invoice to credit the $100.
4) Elon then tells the reps “no it’s an order fee not a deposit” so they stop issuing the credits.

That’s pretty much how every new thing at Tesla plays out.

So this is what I know from our own experience and the dates:

"His" SR+ ordered 10-8-19 with a required "Fully refundable deposit" of $2,500
"Her's" SR+ ordered 10-18-19 (10 day days after mine) the price went up $500 with a required "Non-refundable deposit" of $100.

I have no idea what the price and deposit/fee changed to after 10-18-19 but, if the price and terms changed that much in 10 days between my order and my wife, then I guess any change is possible after 10-18-19.

ordered on 10/23; and while mine was recorded as a fee, they applied it as a deposit... :shrugs:

P3D- in red, with FSD.

Reconfigured to Stealth after having an original order for a standard Performance, was not charged difference of $500 (price increase on LR AWD), and kept my original FSD price of 6k (went up to 7k on 11/1)

buildsheet_mvpa.png

It's pretty wild how variable this seems to be from person to person. I guess it is "only" $100 in the grand scheme of things, but i wouldn't mind having an extra $100 to spend on accessories and what not instead of having to pay an extra $100 into the purchase price.

Mine just shows up as a straight deposit that's deducted from the overall vehicle price on the pricing details page, of course I'll have to wait to see the MVPA to see if that's actually the case. I ordered on 10/20 and at the time I remembered clearly the website indicated the $100 is a deposit not a fee. I suspect Tesla has secretly changed that policy afterwards.

It's pretty wild how variable this seems to be from person to person. I guess it is "only" $100 in the grand scheme of things, but i wouldn't mind having an extra $100 to spend on accessories and what not instead of having to pay an extra $100 into the purchase price.

Yep, only $100 here...then the $500 due to the change in CVRP program(which was relatively silently switched on short notice)...oh well.

There's a line for adding the $100 fee and then it removes it again at the end from the amount due. So it looks like it gets refunded as part of the purchase.

It's not actually refunded -- remember you paid the $100 fee earlier when you ordered the car. So the -$100 reflects your already made payment (otherwise you'd end up paying the extra $100 twice!). The net result is you paid $100 more for the car versus someone else that got to use a "Deposit" instead of the fee.

I also don't see the $100 fee already paid being listed as a credit anywhere on the MVPA. Indeed the itemized list assess a second $100 order fee. Seems like it should appear in the credit section -- perhaps I can assume it will be part of the "down payment"?

I also don't see the $100 fee already paid being listed as a credit anywhere on the MVPA. Indeed the itemized list assess a second $100 order fee. Seems like it should appear in the credit section -- perhaps I can assume it will be part of the "down payment"?

Better check the numbers really carefully when you pay it to make sure! It already sucks to pay the $100 fee once.. It would really suck to pay it twice!

I'm going through the same thing right now. I got the car on 11/16 and it happened in 2 days from paying the order fee of $100 and taking a delivery next afternoon. The car was at the center so no need to wait. We paid in full with a check and it was hectic that way since their system was acting up(a tech company having problems with their system...) and I decided not to trade in my car last minute. I actually just checked my thing and they never took out the $100 order fee on MVPA! I emailed my SA and he said it is not a deposit so won't be deducted but the papers show that I doubled paid. waiting to hear from him but if he doesn't solve it, I'll just go through with my credit card and dispute it... so stupid!

So I had to send another email for an update and he came back saying the same thing. I don't think he is that smart or just playing dumb. I asked for his manager or delivery center finance people. At this point, I think I'm just going to let my credit card company fight them.

I actually contacted the lady who did the paperwork at Delivery and she confirmed that we overpaid by $100 and will put in a request to issue a refund check and then apologized. Mistakes happen especially when I took a delivery within 24 hours of signing the paper and last minute change. But I can't believe how dumb the sales guy was on this issue... It doesn't matter whether it is Tesla SA or any other car manufacturer SA, most of them are clueless!