Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D: We knew it was coming. Sour grapes or sweet lemons?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In November, knowing that the S100D was imminent, I STILL ordered an S90D.

Here were my prioritized reasons to order and the (actual outcomes):
  1. Reduce the risk of Trump killing the $7,500 federal tax credit (TBD)
  2. Avoid an estimated $7,500 price increase (only $3K)
  3. Get it sooner (Yes)
  4. Get free lifetime supercharging (Yes)
Reasons to wait:
  1. Expected 0-60 in less than 4 seconds (same as 90D)
  2. Ranged increase to 335 miles (exactly as estimated)
  3. Better choice of options (non-ventilated seats, nothing else)
Color codes:
Worked out for me
Neutral
Didn't work out as well

The rational for my estimates: Could these be the 100D Specs?

So, for me, the extra range would have been a nice bargain, but I was really hoping for more performance. And I would have preferred not being forced to get the ventilated seats.

Bottom line: I'm happy with my S90D...really happy :)

I ordered my 90D in April but delayed delivery until December since I was hoping for AP2, premium seats and the 100 kWh battery. After the AP2 hardware announcement and the announcement that unlimited supercharging was going away, I figured that I'd better go ahead with the December delivery. The premium seats came out in November...right about the same time that my car went into production so I just missed those. Oh well. Extra range would've been nice as well but I've traveled from California through Kansas and had no problem in a 90D. I'll probably keep my car for quite a while and plan to get lots of use out of the unlimited supercharging. If I didn't have unlimited, I would use up the annual allotment in one road trip back home and I typically do several trips per year.

We have another 90D on order (also with unlimited supercharging). While it would've been nice if we could've upgraded that one to 100 kWh and keep the free supercharging, that isn't allowed. Now we're trying to figure out if we'll go with the 100D or unlimited supercharging...or holding out another quarter or two to see what new goodies will be added next!

I ordered my 90D in April but delayed delivery until December since I was hoping for AP2, premium seats and the 100 kWh battery. After the AP2 hardware announcement and the announcement that unlimited supercharging was going away, I figured that I'd better go ahead with the December delivery. The premium seats came out in November...right about the same time that my car went into production so I just missed those. Oh well. Extra range would've been nice as well but I've traveled from California through Kansas and had no problem in a 90D. I'll probably keep my car for quite a while and plan to get lots of use out of the unlimited supercharging. If I didn't have unlimited, I would use up the annual allotment in one road trip back home and I typically do several trips per year.

We have another 90D on order (also with unlimited supercharging). While it would've been nice if we could've upgraded that one to 100 kWh and keep the free supercharging, that isn't allowed. Now we're trying to figure out if we'll go with the 100D or unlimited supercharging...or holding out another quarter or two to see what new goodies will be added next!

As a TSLA shareholder I recommend buy now and buy later!!! :D

90D with FUSC and 100D are both nice offerings. If you want game changer though, that might be end of year delivery. You still have access to 7500 tax credit at that time period.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'd say sweet lemons

1 - P100D is nice, but not a gamechanger.
2 - FUSC is not worth that much in most cases, but it just feels good from an emotional standpoint. FREE FREE FREE FREE WOOO. Yeah it might be worth $20 bucks a year to many of us but FREE FREE FREE FREE WOOO.
3 - You got to and still enjoying the car.
4 - Took 7500 credit in 2016, freeing up options in 2017.

So I took delivery of a S90D in December
I was thrilled to get AP2 ( barely ). I also knew there would likely be changes soon I would probably wished I could have gotten in December
But with what I've learned here and with a background in technology, I figured it wouldn't be long before something new and desirable appeared.
Hey, I would love to upgrade my range for 3k, but that's life with technology.
I love the car as is, I was one of the "1000" who got early but limited AP2, and I will enjoy free supercharging and a 2016 tax credit

Regarding the question posed in the thread title: It wouldn't be the TMC Forums if it didn't have a bit of both! ;)

I'm still waiting for the "Open Letters" demanding people who placed orders:

I made an order 78 days ago. I think people who ordered up to 79 days ago deserve to switch to the 100D and keep unlimited SC. Trust me it will be GREAT for the Tesla image!

Probably one of the better outcomes when you start to think about the supercharging restriction. This helps preserve the values of the 90D and the others while still allowing them to come up with a fresh product branch.

I will say that doing a very messy spec on a new 100D, it looks like the closest apples to apples I can get on a 90D purchased exactly 1 year ago is around a 9k premium. While you get APv2 hardware and the biggger battery as the big improvements, that's still a pretty significant base price jump on the other options.

Of course the ideal Model S would be the one you could upgrade to 100kwh right now for a price. And in a couple years, I would assume that's what all of us will be doing if we aren't buying new.

Reactions: pilotSteve