Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a difference between the 2 week period after ordering, where anything can be changed for free, to after that period (when the order is "confirmed"), where you normally can't change anything. Within the 2 weeks period, it's free, but I don't know how or what happens if you change after those two weeks.

The Tesla salespeople I have been speaking with say it will be most likely be impossible to buy a non-P 100D with free unlimited supercharging. If you order a 90D prior to year-end, and if (as expected) soon into the New Year Tesla begins offering non-P 100D, if you change your undelivered 90D order to a 100D order ($500 change fee) then your order will be considered a 2017 order and no free unlimited supercharging. This is a sad outcome! If any of you have heard of a way around this, please let us know.
I think the workarounds are:

• Buy a P90DL today
  • Recognize that free Supercharging is not likely to be worth the $30k premium and just get the 100D with pay as you go, and realize you're saving money over the first option.

There is a difference between the 2 week period after ordering, where anything can be changed for free, to after that period (when the order is "confirmed"), where you normally can't change anything. Within the 2 weeks period, it's free, but I don't know how or what happens if you change after those two weeks.
Isn't it a 1 week period?

Doesn't make sense as the build sheet doesn't change and the build sheet says it has supercharging - I expect that the 2017 build sheet will say "limited supercharging" (or something to that effect). For example if I decide to change color in Jan before build and pay $500 I doubt I would lose supercharging...

Only time will tell - everything else is a guess.

But the build sheet will change. If it didn't change you would still get what you originally ordered. :rolleyes: So there is no reason that they can't remove the current supercharger line and add the new 400kWh/year plan line when you make the change to a 100D.

My guess is that they will force a cancel and re-order to change to a 100D. (And just transfer your deposit minus the $500 change fee.)

But the build sheet will change. If it didn't change you would still get what you originally ordered. :rolleyes: So there is no reason that they can't remove the current supercharger line and add the new 400kWh/year plan line when you make the change to a 100D.

My guess is that they will force a cancel and re-order to change to a 100D. (And just transfer your deposit minus the $500 change fee.)
That's what I was wondering... when someone makes a change and pays the $500 do they have to cancel/re-order which creates an entirely new build sheet or do they simply "edit" the existing build sheet. For example, if they change the batteries and no longer offer the 90D but the 100D is out for $20k more but I want to pay $500 to only change the color... do I also have to upgrade the battery or just pay to change the color only? Anyone with direct experience making changes like this?

I just called my DS today and was thinking of going from a X90D to a XP100DL and he said I just need to pay the $500 and change my order. I left out the subzero originally and will add it also with the P100DL upgrade. The snow and freezing weather changed my mind on the SZ option. I will also get the lower pricing before the Canadian price hike from 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like an edit to my order since my delivery date is not till late Feb or early March and my X is not in production yet.

My DS contacted me again saying that I would be subjected to the price increase that came in to effect 2 weeks ago for the base price increase across the board. The P100DL only went up a couple of hundred dollars versus almost $5K for the X75D and X90D. Will still most likely go ahead with my change in my order but I will wait till tomorrow to confirm my order change after talking with my banker...or wife.

Last edited:
I just called my DS today and was thinking of going from a X90D to a XP100DL and he said I just need to pay the $500 and change my order. I left out the subzero originally and will add it also with the P100DL upgrade. The snow and freezing weather changed my mind on the SZ option. I will also get the lower pricing before the Canadian price hike from 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like an edit to my order since my delivery date is not till late Feb or early March and my X is not in production yet.
That's a dream machine. My next will have the kitchen sink as well ;-)

My DS contacted me again saying that I would be subjected to the price increase that came in to effect 2 weeks ago for the base price increase across the board. The P100DL only went up a couple of hundred dollars versus almost $5K for the X75D and X90D. Will still most likely go ahead with my change in my order but I will wait till tomorrow to confirm my order change after talking with my banker...or wife.
Interesting. If that's the case I might just stick with my 90D order (Feb delivery) as I also ordered right before the price increase. If the 100D is released in january though at the same price as the new 90D ($5k more) then I will opt for that...

for a variety of reason's, including capturing free super charging for life, we have decided to upgrade our 2015 85D to an X 90D and now have a December/early Jan delivery date. early on in the process I let them know that if the 100D in the non-performance mode became available in time for us to upgrade, that we would be very interested in that option. we do regular long distance trips and over the course of a 14 hour day, it would be possible to skip probably two stops, which would get us to our destination a couple hours earlier. Also, having more range would mean faster mid pack charging, which means each time we charged, it would shave a few minutes off the total when partial charging from one super charger to the next. if you multiply a few minutes by many charger stops, it adds up. On occasion we've been rushing to get a ferry or get over one of the passes before it closed for avalanche control and were pressed to cut the charging off with only a few miles to spare. all the way around, more capacity means less hassle. I am worried that this option will be available in January, right after we take delivery of the 90D... sigh.