Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100k miles in a facelift Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June 2016 Face lift 90D. 121,000 miles
Replaced headlamps (twice) under warranty (DRL fade).
One door handle replaced under warranty
12v replaced ($80) failure caused by:
Battery coolant heater failing (replaced about $1000)
OEM tires replaced after hitting splintered wood pallet on road in Tennesse at 2am on first long road trip.
2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (About 50,000 miles each set)
35+ Mwh 296wh/mile average in all weather and terrain. At about $.13/Kwh= $4200 in "fuel"
Slept in the back on first road trip because I could;)
Because of the road trips, I would posit about 85% supercharger use. Initial battery at 100% upon delivery: 299 miles. Battery at 100% now: 287 miles. About 5% battery degradation.

Happy Camper!

Reactions: ucmndd
Yes, but why would anyone charge at peak time? The whole point of Time-of-Day use and rates is to discourage folks from putting extra demand on the grid during the worst times of the day. Tell us what your off-peak rates are? At your peak rates, you might as well Supercharge, it would be faster and cheaper even if you didn't get FUSC.

If your local utility provider in California hasn't already switched to TOD billing and you're still on the old tier system, then look into solar power payment plans or lease. It will cost zero out of pocket and the companies will take care of the maintenance. The solar system is sized based on your 12-month average use so that it helps lower you back into tier 1 or, at worst, tier 2 rates. That provides a huge savings.

You mentioned peak rates and I commented it was low. I have solar and off peak starts at about $.26. Anyone on PGE that uses moderate amounts of power gets screwed.

You mentioned peak rates and I commented it was low. I have solar and off peak starts at about $.26. Anyone on PGE that uses moderate amounts of power gets screwed.

Last year I used 11,562 kwh from the grid and paid $1420 at my true-up on PGE EV-A, for an average of 12.2 cents/kwh.

Not bad.

I do acknowledge that EV-A was apparently "too good a deal" for customers and they've shut it down and replaced it with a new plan that will raise my rates almost 100%. Not sure what I'm going to do when my grandfathering runs out in a couple years.

Last edited:
Have you explored getting solar to get rid of your "fuel" costs? My 100K costs on my 2014 P85+ are going to pretty low once I factor in free charging at work and home.

BTW, my car has never been "serviced" besides tires, alignments, an a couple of micro-switches and paddle gears for the door handle and a new 12 volt battery (LiPo), and the free software/nav upgrades. I also paid to add LTE over 3G.

I should be at 100K this quarter.

Have you explored getting solar to get rid of your "fuel" costs? My 100K costs on my 2014 P85+ are going to pretty low once I factor in free charging at work and home.

Yes, I have a 7.5kw solar system that basically covers the energy consumption of my home excluding the car. At ~33,000 miles a year I'd need to more or less double that to offset all of my energy, and the payback time is very long at ~$0.13/kwh off-peak rates. I'd also need to get creative about where to stuff that many additional panels. So, for now, I'm dealing with it.

Like I said though, the energy plan I'm on right now is closed to new customers and I have about 2 years of being grandfathered in before they kick me to the curb to a "new improved" plan that will end up costing me almost twice as much over the course of the year - so the economics will change at that point.

Nice write up, thanks for sharing
o.png

Thanks for the detailed post. This is really comforting to me as I bought my 90D in November last year (Pre-Facelift). I've already put 15k miles on it as I drive the length of the country on a weekly basis (I'm in the UK and drive from Newcastle to London ~300 miles depending on the route used).
I charge mostly between 10-80% at Superchargers and have to stop once on the journey halfway to top it up. Fully charged typical range is displayed at ~250miles, but I don't really take it to 100%. I tend to use the Supercharger by my house to around 80% then the household socket finishes it off overnight to 90%. I don't know if this will change in the summer as it's hagning around between 0C-10C pretty much all the time. Hopefully the warmer weather will help with range.
I've had to replace the rear light cluster on the trunk lid due to water ingress (out of warranty at that point) and I have some expenses for damage caused by road debris that I won't factor into normal costs. Electric top ups at home cost 5p/Kwh overnight and free SC the rest of the time so saving £400+ per month on fuel costs (I used to drive a 530D BMW).
I have the endless creaks and rattles, but I had them on the BMW too, I just hear these more without engine noise (turning the radio up fixes these issues). Beyond this, I love the car and plan to keep it until the battery and drive train warranty expires (about 4 years). I expect ~250k on the clock at this time.
I look forward to seeing how all our cars keep up.

What do you mean by:
I also have an S75 rwd but supercharging rates won’t exceed 80khw. Im at 134k miles but have had this charge rate since about 60k miles. Was there an update I missed?

Max supercharging speed was increased for all 75kwh battery cars (or I thought all of them) via a software update last summer. My car now peaks at about 120kw when fully warm at a low SoC.

• Love
Reactions: SilverGS