Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.1.2 Update. Confused about beta red light recognition...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was updated to 12.1.2 last night from 11.8.3.
AWD, with autopilot but not FSD.
Update says that I have "stop (red) light" detection installed (beta).
But while driving on autopilot, not one red light was recognized all day.
Anyone else? Reason?

Was updated to 12.1.2 last night from 11.8.3.
AWD, with autopilot but not FSD.
Update says that I have "stop (red) light" detection installed (beta).
But while driving on autopilot, not one red light was recognized all day.
Anyone else? Reason?

Emphasis mine.

From what I heard you have to be practically right on top of the light for it to activate. When did you "chicken out"?

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC
The reason is that the only way you know it recognized a stoplight is if you try to run one and the car buzzes at you. There is no other icon on the display or anything. It is also not near 100% recognition, so if you run the same stoplight over and over you may still get no indication.

There has been a video of the car actually stopping at (most) stoplights. That was a hacked car, not what is active for everyone now.

Reactions: mcl627
Emphasis mine.

From what I heard you have to be practically right on top of the light for it to activate. When did you "chicken out"?

I chickened out multiple times at 45mph. After searching Google maps for 30 minutes I think I found a good light to test it on. I kind of like the steering wheel shake when crossing over the lines. It could be a little stronger but is a nice upgrade.

I chickened out multiple times at 45mph. After searching Google maps for 30 minutes I think I found a good light to test it on. I kind of like the steering wheel shake when crossing over the lines. It could be a little stronger but is a nice upgrade.

It's not the speed I was asking about, it's the distance to the light. Were you 100 feet away? 50? 25? Like I said, I don't think it actually activates (today) until you are practically on top of the light. You would practically have to run the red light to activate it from what I've seen (and ironically, before I got this update, I did in fact run a red light that ALWAYS has cars stopped at it, so I had a brain fart and actually ran it because there were no cars in front of me--I probably could have used that feature then, even though I might have been a ways out into the intersection before being able to stop).

The steering wheel shake is not an upgrade. My car has been doing that since I got it last July.

Please don't try to run lights... Tesla would've been better off not telling us about this feature so we won't be trying to see if it actually works :-/
Well that's par for the course with Tesla now isn't it. Release software, call it a beta version so they don't get in trouble, and let all these "test engineers" figure it out for them....don't get me wrong I am super excited about Tesla and can't wait to get mine, but not so excited how they refine their software in the wild.....it isn't a cell phone.

So as most have stated above you pretty much have to be right on top of the light about to blow through it before the warning kicks in.
What you will see in the right bottom 1/2 of the screen is a red steering wheel stating Take Control Immediately accompanied by audible warning as well. Additionally, where the speed limit is usually displayed will switch to a traffic light icon displaying red light. This latter icon quickly switches back to the normal speed limit icon.

This is on Model 3 updated version 2019.12.1.2 5c87371.

• Informative
Reactions: mcl627