Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Amp Destination Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We found out a couple weeks back that Home Depot carries them as well. :)
Husky Folding Tamperproof Torx Set (8-Piece)-HFTPTK8PC - The Home Depot

10+ years ago, I was replacing the headlight housings in my S4 with Euro headlights. I needed a security Torx bit to complete the job, apparently to protect myself from self-immolation via the HV secondary of the HID ballasts. I went to the tool counter at the local Sears and asked for security Torx bits. The older guy behind the counter said, with a straight face, "We don't sell those, to prevent people from doing bad things/breaking the law." The younger kid rolled his eyes, said "follow me", and took me to the section with the bits I needed.

IMHO, the whole "security" bit thing is stupid. "When security Torx bits are outlawed, only outlaws will have security Torx bits"

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: scaesare
Yep, that's exactly what we bought, even though we just needed the one bit. Hopefully having the set makes it easier to keep track of them.
I lost the ones I bought years ago at Sears, so I went and bought that. A few years ago my parents gave me a set of security bits as a Christmas present. It had everything but security Torx. *sigh* It had the reverse phillips, the two-holes bits, etc. I can proabably take apart the partition walls in every public men's room in the northeast...

I found a destination charger that was limited to ~12A IIRC. The breaker was right behind it and it was a 100A breaker so I took the initiative and fixed it. It was a PITA because you need a T20 security torx which was difficult to find. Apparently auto parts stores carry them.
Something about that seems illegal. Did you ask the property owner?

Reactions: SSedan
Ran across this destination charger 12 amp situation at a new hotel (home2 colonnade) in Birmingham, AL last weekend. All four Tesla Chargers were 12 amps but the J-1772 was 48 amps. Suspect the installer just didn't bother to change the amp dial on the chargers.

Ran across this destination charger 12 amp situation at a new hotel (home2 colonnade) in Birmingham, AL last weekend. All four Tesla Chargers were 12 amps but the J-1772 was 48 amps. Suspect the installer just didn't bother to change the amp dial on the chargers.

You should let them know they are installed incorrectly! It is a very simple fix, but you need to know what they are wired for and what the load calculations were done for before they can be safely changed.

The issue is that electricians don't have a way to test Wall Connectors after they install them generally...