Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120V Submetering Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signal the EVSE, correct ?
How is it done ?
Right, the EVSE has to send a signal to the car to let it know how many max amps are available. It's a part in each adapter that tells the charging cable what that number should be to announce to the car.
When an owner chooses to charge at a lower current, is the EVSE being signaled the same way ?
No, that's like the second stage. The signal from the EVSE doesn't need to change. It can still announce that 32A or whatever maximum are available, but the car can then "request" less than the "announced" maximum available. So you would see 20/32 or something like that if you reduced it. You still get to see what the max available is.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
You said it was only the Gen2 version. I just wanted to make sure people knew that both 1st and 2nd generation mobile cables have always had this feature.

The only exception is the Tesla UMC/Gen2 Mobile Connector.

UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) = Gen 1 Mobile connector.
Tesla rebranded the product when Gen 2 came out to avoid confusion.

For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) = Gen 1 Mobile connector.
Tesla rebranded the product when Gen 2 came out to avoid confusion.
Ah, well they just created some confusion then. Since there is a Gen1 and a Gen2 of the same product, I thought they were still using the same name, and they were both Universal Mobile Connector. I hadn't heard that they were trying to rebrand or change the name by officially dropping the word "universal" out of it, which doesn't seem to make sense except to create more confusion.

I didn't realize that / in your sentence was to split between two products, since you didn't mention "Gen1". I get that now--nevermind.