Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Accessory Power Port Switches Off Erratically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a two-way radio installed in my M3 powered by the center console 12V cigarette lighter power port. I remove the plug when the M3 is powered off so the port has no load when the car is not in use (that's so the very sensitive power management system does not switch off sensing a foreign load). Now, the accessary port is switched off for no reason at all. Might be on. Might be off.
V 9.0 (2019.20.4.2 66625e9)

David A., Los Angeles, Model 3 #9999

Thats bizarre that your 12v sometimes works or doesnt work. I can only think it might have to do with the efuse tripping somehow - which resets after 20-30 minutes. The 12v socket should be able to handle 15A max load before tripping

Thats bizarre that your 12v sometimes works or doesnt work. I can only think it might have to do with the efuse tripping somehow - which resets after 20-30 minutes. The 12v socket should be able to handle 15A max load before tripping
Right. My device would rarely get to 15A. So that's not it. I do know that the device, in it's off state, draws a meager, barely measurable 2 MA, and that is enough for the M3 girl to shut down the power port. So I pull the plug each night before she goes to sleep. Its always there in the AM. This morning -- not. Something is not right.

A week later, and an unusual; and unexpected things has happily occurred. Just outta the blue, the power port has stayed on with the radio being plugged in continuously. Can't explain it, but I am not touching it. A fellow Tesla owner who also has a mobile radio tells me the power management system "learns." And that once trained, it will allow pretty normal operations from the power port. So again, it's working and I'm not touching anything.