Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issue, Tesla unsatisfactory response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm a sucker, but that doesn't seem that bad for this type of battery. Though looking at this link, it looks like it is a sealed maintenance free battery and not an AGM battery? I always thought it was an AGM battery, but this PDF from the manufacturer presumably does not lie? (MF looks like it means Maintenance Free...not a profanity which is what you might think when you realize it's not an AGM...?) Says right in the document the MF 85B24LS is for Tesla.

https://cdn.hankook-atlasbx.com/PRD...(US_version)General_Catalog(2019)_(small).pdf

that's about how much we paid for our Highlander AAA installed it though (and replaced once under warranty) so worth it ....

Are you sure about that? What's the source? I owned a 2012 Roadster for 7 years (sold for the Model 3) and the 12v battery is located in the front passenger wheel well behind the cover. You need to remove the wheel to access it. I had to replace mine once in 7 years.

from another post:

12 Volt Battery Compendium – TeslaTap
The earliest Tesla roadsters didn’t include a 12v battery but used a portion of the main lithium-ion pack to supply 12v for accessories and lights. This was not ideal, and in 2010 Tesla switched to a separate 12V battery in the Roadster 2.0. All Tesla vehicles since that time also include a separate 12v battery.

If I recall correctly the cig lighter 12v is not active when the car sleeps. Attaching directly to the battery is the way to go. It's quite simple to install. You just pull up on the top piece of the frunk cover gently to remove it from the clips. This is for a Model 3 of course and I believe a Model Y is the same. The Model S and X are much more difficult to access. It took me no more than 10 minutes to install.

I would prefer in the cabin so I'd look at the volts regularly when the car is awake.

Unless I get a BT version, then I'd hook it to the battery

from another post:

12 Volt Battery Compendium – TeslaTap
The earliest Tesla roadsters didn’t include a 12v battery but used a portion of the main lithium-ion pack to supply 12v for accessories and lights. This was not ideal, and in 2010 Tesla switched to a separate 12V battery in the Roadster 2.0. All Tesla vehicles since that time also include a separate 12v battery.

Ahh, got it. In my 2.5 the 12V was a small motorcycle version. Yet even then it only needed replacing once in 7 years. And I also ran dual channel Blackvue cameras, etc. Shame we need to find workarounds like an Ohmmu for the Model 3, but then again the Roadster was very basic as far as Tech goes. I changed the Alpine car stereo with a Kenwood that had Carplay and Android Auto to bring it as close to the 20th century for Infortainment but was always jealous of the Model S at the time. ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I would prefer in the cabin so I'd look at the volts regularly when the car is awake.

Unless I get a BT version, then I'd hook it to the battery

The iOS app is all I need. As I approach the car I get a notification with the status, and I can easily pull up the app to see historical data for the battery over time. I like this as I can see granularly how the battery behaves during sleep cycles, etc. Of course certain functions of the app are pointless for a Tesla like the "Cranking Test" but it's the best we've got.

The iOS app is all I need. As I approach the car I get a notification with the status, and I can easily pull up the app to see historical data for the battery over time. I like this as I can see granularly how the battery behaves during sleep cycles, etc. Of course certain functions of the app are pointless for a Tesla like the "Cranking Test" but it's the best we've got.
Which battery device do you use to monitor the battery?

Did you plug it directly to the battery?

If so, can you get the Bluetooth signal when the hood is closed or when you are inside the car?

I have the ScanMyTesla App, which gives some battery information but a graphic display would be nicer to have.

I use also an Omega EL-USB-3 Data Logger which provides very detailed information, but I need to use my computer to look at the graph.

Reactions: vickh
I bought one from AEG, but there are many on Amazon that are essentially the same hardware just rebranded and all using the same app. Works fine with the frunk closed and me inside the car. Also was able to pull up the app about 10 meters away and it connected. If anything, my car is likely more challenging than a stock Model 3 as I have installed soundproofing inside the Frunk and on the Frunk hood. So I don't see anyone else having any issues.

I used to use ScanMyTesla as well, however I recently installed the Hannshow HUD which uses the same rear console diagnostic port. So I removed the OBD dongle as I wanted the HUD.

Here are some options:

This one was not an option for me as they would not ship to Switzerland, but good brand:

https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BM300-...ywords=battery+monitor&qid=1600768795&sr=8-13

This is the same hardware as mine but rebranded. Uses the same app as me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT4583...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
People reading this thread should absolutely go and get a 51R AGM battery and replace it themselves when they need to. Not trying to scare anyone, it's super easy.
I'm just pointing out that it's a crappy customer experience to use a non-standard battery size. O'reillys claims they don't sell a battery for the Model 3 so without research you'd have to go there and measure batteries and somehow know to get an AGM battery (otherwise the car will kill it in 6 months). If you can't replace it yourself I bet you'll also have trouble getting anyone else to replace it because they won't be able to look up the battery size in their system.

You and I agree on 2 points. One, it’s super easy to replace the 12V in the Model 3. Two, Tesla does in fact have crappy customer service and (going a step further) they need to focus significant resources on improvement. Love my Tesla and I’m a fan of the company but an A is an A.

As for O’Reilly’s claim they don’t sell a battery for Model 3, yes I ran into the same. But that’s crappy customer service on their part, not Teslas. They are an auto parts store and should know their business. When I went there to buy my replacement battery the kid behind the counter didn’t even know what a Tesla was, he kept asking me who makes the car “like GM or Ford or what” and I kept trying to explain to him Tesla IS the manufacturer. But thanks to me spending 5 minutes on the internet prior to my trip to O’Reilly’s I knew exactly what I needed and had even confirmed they sell that battery and should have it in stock. Easy cheesy lemon squeezy.

Perhaps you missed the part about how the car bricked in his driveway?

Or how it's darn near impossible to move a Tesla with no 12-volt power?

And how Tesla's customer service has fallen off a cliff?

Nope, didn’t miss those facts at all. And when my 12V died I had the same experience. What I said for the record is those facts don’t matter. Doesn’t keep one from going to the auto parts store, buying an AGM battery, and returning to install it in the Tesla. Pretty simple.

Nope, didn’t miss those facts at all. And when my 12V died I had the same experience. What I said for the record is those facts don’t matter. Doesn’t keep one from going to the auto parts store, buying an AGM battery, and returning to install it in the Tesla. Pretty simple.

Worst case, Tesla does have this option to jump start the 12v in the DIY section of their website:

Do It Yourself - Model 3

You and I agree on 2 points. One, it’s super easy to replace the 12V in the Model 3. Two, Tesla does in fact have crappy customer service and (going a step further) they need to focus significant resources on improvement. Love my Tesla and I’m a fan of the company but an A is an A.

As for O’Reilly’s claim they don’t sell a battery for Model 3, yes I ran into the same. But that’s crappy customer service on their part, not Teslas. They are an auto parts store and should know their business. When I went there to buy my replacement battery the kid behind the counter didn’t even know what a Tesla was, he kept asking me who makes the car “like GM or Ford or what” and I kept trying to explain to him Tesla IS the manufacturer. But thanks to me spending 5 minutes on the internet prior to my trip to O’Reilly’s I knew exactly what I needed and had even confirmed they sell that battery and should have it in stock. Easy cheesy lemon squeezy.

Is this the battery you ended up buying?

51rplt_front.jpg

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...m-battery-group-size-51r/51rplt/5880657?pos=1

Reactions: P3dStealth
For bottom readers

1.OP's car is out of warranty
2.battery dies no warning
3.Car is not in a great place
4. Expects car company to run over to fix it

I had my Nissan Leaf battery die on me with no warning four weeks ago.
I did not call the CEO of Nissan, I went on Utube and looked at my options.
I could have called a number of folks, AAA, and others that do this kind of stuff.
Ordered a new battery online, two days and 3 bolts later it was solved.
There are a number of handy folks in the hood that would taken me to get a
battery and installed it, in a bind.
Does anyone really think that BMW will run out to fix a battery on a car that is
out of warranty ? They would say tow it and we will get it fixed sometime.

3rd new Tesla I’ve owned, relatively minor problems with my 3 until today when without a SINGLE warning my 12v is apparently dead? Car will not turn on for about 30 minutes, finally got it on, drove it forward 5 feet and tried to roll the window back up... bad call. Window is now stuck down and my car is now refusing to budge from the front of my driveway, it’s blocking 2 other cars so I can’t actually leave my house except on foot.

I sent an emergency roadside assistance message to tsla and explained that I could not get out, have 2 kids and all of our cars are stuck behind my model 3. They suggested I wait 12 days for roadside assistance... AWESOME:)... or that since my car is out of warranty I could Pay and have it flat bedded 40 miles away to the service center and they could sneak me in early October??

I drive a ton and I’m out of warranty (which I’m fine with) but this is a November 2018 build model 3 with 79k miles on it (non Uber/taxi) and I received ZERO WARNINGS about the battery. The person mentioned they had an issue and were diligently working on trying to give people a “heads up” about the bad or low battery. I know maintenance will always be needed on vehicles and am super happy to do it but no warning and now I’m stuck??

i have been a huge supporter, Im long tsla and I love what they’re doing to the auto world but service like this is just so so so bad it’s not even funny. Maybe my issue is that I owned a 2013 model s and when I had a problem someone would drive to my house and fix it like that minute.... those days are LONG GONE. This just surprised me tho since I could easily been stuck in a spot and have an issue.

Yeah...some of their response is so crazy we could start a reddit on funny/crazy tesla response on customer service. I was recent told by a SC rep that the wacky door paint job is up to spec!!!! I couldn't believe my ears.... I actually asked him to repeat that...oh Kay then...If I were Elon, I'd be so embarrassed that my customers are out there driving my car looking like that...it's nucking futs!

Yeah...some of their response is so crazy we could start a reddit on funny/crazy tesla response on customer service. I was recent told by a SC rep that the wacky door paint job is up to spec!!!! I couldn't believe my ears.... I actually asked him to repeat that...oh Kay then...If I were Elon, I'd be so embarrassed that my customers are out there driving my car looking like that...it's nucking futs!

I wear an "out of spec" t-shirt with a Tesla logo when I visit to plant a subliminal message to start discussions.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but that doesn't seem that bad for this type of battery. Though looking at this link, it looks like it is a sealed maintenance free battery and not an AGM battery? I always thought it was an AGM battery, but this PDF from the manufacturer presumably does not lie? (MF looks like it means Maintenance Free...not a profanity which is what you might think when you realize it's not an AGM...?) Says right in the document the MF 85B24LS is for Tesla.

https://cdn.hankook-atlasbx.com/PRD...(US_version)General_Catalog(2019)_(small).pdf
Interesting. Maybe it's not an AGM battery? $120 would actually be a good price for an AGM battery. Also they do list the size as the same as the 51 group not the JIS B24 size. Though the 51 seems to be in error, it should be 51R since the terminals are reversed.
I'm inclined to believe that this is Tesla's fault given how hostile they are to third parties working on the cars. Why is it that I can type any other car into O'reillys part finder and get a battery? Probably every other auto parts store too, I doubt it's a massive conspiracy against Tesla.

Reactions: dogphlap
Also they do list the size as the same as the 51 group not the JIS B24 size.

What does this mean?

it should be 51R since the terminals are reversed.

I believe you, but how do we know this? (I can see right in my picture where the negative terminal is, but don’t know off the top of my head what the standard terminal positioning is and whether this is reversed. I guess I could just Google it.). Looks like it is layout “0,” which is RFP (right front positive). Is that reversed? Google actually did not immediately answer my question; a better search query is required.

EDIT: RFP is the same as my other two cars, so to me it does not look like this is reverse polarity. So, how do we know that it is?

Last edited:
What does this mean?
I read that it's JIS B24 size which is a Japanese size and pretty close to group 51.
I believe you, but how do we know this? (I can see right in my picture where the negative terminal is, but don’t know off the top of my head what the standard terminal positioning is and whether this is reversed. I guess I could just Google it.)
The R means the positive terminal is on the right (which I assume is with the terminal side facing you).

The R means the positive terminal is on the right (which I assume is with the terminal side facing you).

That is correct for the orientation. The battery is RFP. I thought for some reason that R in the code meant reversed (from “standard”)

How do we know this is what the R means?

This is how we know: Group 51 and 51R Batteries - Dimensions, Features and Recommendations

I guess the document from the manufacturer is wrong. Could be wrong about the AGM too though the price suggests it is not AGM.

Last edited:
That is correct for the orientation. The battery is RFP. I thought for some reason that R in the code meant reversed (from “standard”)

How do we know this is what the R means?
I'm not a battery expert!
https://www.pepboys.com/prostart-car-battery-group-size-51r/product/9074165
https://www.pepboys.com/prostart-car-battery-group-size-51/product/9074158
R has terminal on the right! (when the battery is reversed from the picture)
Hopefully the major "Battery Day" announcement will be the elimination of the 12V battery.