Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement [by tesla mobile service]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 3 1/2 year old Model 3 got a notification for battery replacement, so we made an app appointment for service, which was 6 days away. The mobile service took less than 10 minutes and it was free. We are thrilled.
352465D3-F505-4D7D-914C-AC26771E88E3.jpeg

6 days away is pushing it though for a 12V failure which will brick your car cold and you can't just pick up a normal 12V battery and drop it in
Battery life will vary no matter what you drive or what battery you have, but it seems like people who live in very hot climates and drive less have a larger share of the failures. Also, you can pick up a replacement battery almost anywhere -- it's just a group size 51R battery that is common to many Honda vehicles. But, if you want longevity from the battery you will want it to be an AGM with some deep cycle capabilities. As far as price, nobody can beat the $85 of the OEM battery if you buy it from Tesla.

Our 3 1/2 year old Model 3 got a notification for battery replacement, so we made an app appointment for service, which was 6 days away. The mobile service took less than 10 minutes and it was free. We are thrilled.
I had the same positive experience with Tesla Mobile Service. Came out to the garage and found that the 12V battery died on my 2018 M3P--I don't recall seeing any warnings. I used the App to request service, App made an appointment for a month out, that's not going to work. I called the closest SC (50 miles away), and they were great. They told me a month wait is ridiculous, and they would see what they could do to expedite things. SC got back to me by text and asked if it would be convenient if the Mobile Tech showed up in a couple of hours. 15 minute job and all was good.

I was thrilled and impressed -- first time using mobile service and it was the best ever auto service experience. 👏👏

I had the same positive experience with Tesla Mobile Service. Came out to the garage and found that the 12V battery died on my 2018 M3P--I don't recall seeing any warnings. I used the App to request service, App made an appointment for a month out, that's not going to work. I called the closest SC (50 miles away), and they were great. They told me a month wait is ridiculous, and they would see what they could do to expedite things. SC got back to me by text and asked if it would be convenient if the Mobile Tech showed up in a couple of hours. 15 minute job and all was good.

I was thrilled and impressed -- first time using mobile service and it was the best ever auto service experience. 👏👏
Off topic, but I see you're down the road at spring mountain. have you had the chance to put your tesla on it? if so, what kind of lap times were you turning?

Battery is $150 and you can pick one up at the SC and install it yourself in 5 minutes.

$150 every ~2 years for a part which lasts 4-6 years in other vehicles isn't acceptable though ... kinda goes against the point of low service costs.
Tesla needs to figure out why Model 3/Y burn through batteries so quickly and address it... software update or use different/ better batteries

$150 every ~2 years for a part which lasts 4-6 years in other vehicles isn't acceptable though ... kinda goes against the point of low service costs.
Tesla needs to figure out why Model 3/Y burn through batteries so quickly and address it... software update or use different/ better batteries
I know, it's crazy right? It's almost as ridiculous as having to buy tires because they wear out or something. Tesla should make tires that never need replacing, and a windshield washer reservoir that never needs refilling!

We also had a flat tire several months ago and it was also an excellent experience. 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

Reactions: Trackjack
Tesla allegedly made improvements to the charging scheme awhile back that helps with the lifespan on the 12v batteries. Obviously, however, there are plenty of batteries out there that ran a good portion of their lifespan on the unimproved charging scheme, so no doubt their lifetime could be shortened accordingly.

Unlike Lithium, Lead-acid batteries like to be kept at full charge as much as possible, and stored above 80% to avoid lead sulfate formation. Ideally they are never discharged below 50% SOC as well. Further, AGM batteries are also a bit finickier about their charging voltages than a flooded battery. They charge quicker & more efficiently, but can also be more easily damaged if overcharged (unlike flooded where you can simply add water). Makes me wonder what the improvements made by Tesla actually changed.

Personally, I'm going to give my 12v until the end of the year (2.3 years old at that time), then probably replace it as a preventative measure. I'll gladly spend the $85-$100 on an early replacement than wait until a failure that might get me stuck somewhere or waiting weeks for a warranty replacement. For what it's worth, I do a similar thing on my ICE cars and test/replace the battery at the first signs of weakness, I don't wait until it actually won't start the car one day.

For what it's worth, I do a similar thing on my ICE cars and test/replace the battery at the first signs of weakness, I don't wait until it actually won't start the car one day.
I think the issue that pops up here is that many people that buy Teslas are not car people. They're technology and gadget people. Someone mentions low or no maintenance on an EV and their obtuse understanding of vehicles translates that to they do not need to do anything whatsoever to upkeep the car. It's not knocking them, I'm sure there's plenty of things they would be good at that we don't understand. They just don't understand preventative maintenance and/or why it is needed.

Reactions: android04
I think the issue that pops up here is that many people that buy Teslas are not car people. They're technology and gadget people. Someone mentions low or no maintenance on an EV and their obtuse understanding of vehicles translates that to they do not need to do anything whatsoever to upkeep the car. It's not knocking them, I'm sure there's plenty of things they would be good at that we don't understand. They just don't understand preventative maintenance and/or why it is needed.
How many people owning ICE's preventatively swap their 12v batteries? I'd imagine the number is less than 1%