Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about my relay setup for radar detector. My power cord has a fuse built in, should I cut the fuse off to connect to the relay?

You don't have to. You can leave the fuse if you want. I left the fuse for my radar.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. The pictures do help a lot. I was able to hook up my dashcam, radar, accent lights, and amp (kind of) again. I used VCLeft as the power source. I used a sewing needle to find the right brown wire.

My amp worked for a bit, but it appears my LC2i is no longer processing the signal from the factory sub output wires. I need to test it out a little more before getting a replacement. It's been over a year so it's no longer under warranty. I guess I can try out the LC2i Pro.

You don't have to. You can leave the fuse if you want. I left the fuse for my radar.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. The pictures do help a lot. I was able to hook up my dashcam, radar, accent lights, and amp (kind of) again. I used VCLeft as the power source. I used a sewing needle to find the right brown wire.

My amp worked for a bit, but it appears my LC2i is no longer processing the signal from the factory sub output wires. I need to test it out a little more before getting a replacement. It's been over a year so it's no longer under warranty. I guess I can try out the LC2i Pro.
How much amperage are you running on the brown wire?

I just ran a 12 adapter and run it down my dash. What a pain in the butt to do this car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 378
For my Valentine 1 install I did the following:

Use an old credit card to remove the triangle trim, having the glove box made this simple.

Remove the trim piece to the right and the push/pin for the kick panel cover.

Using your hands pop the trim (start by the middle of the seat and work your way up to the passenger kick).

From the YouTube video I took a screenshot, and props to another poster here who stated it was the smaller of the 2 red wires.

Multimeter ground in the threaded hole (there is no bolt here, there are 2 spots like this), and pos in the wire you just tagged.

Closed all the doors, opened the drivers door, sat on the seat, hit the brake and Bob's your Uncle 12V.

Passenger Kick for the VCRight (Thinner of the 2 Red wires -- See photo) I had a bolt that would screw into one of the threaded holes for ground.

I did NOT use a relay, I am using the Valentine 1 hard wiring kit which is fused. I do not see a need for this an no one gave a valid reason to use a relay that I found. If something goes wack, perform the reset that was detailed to reset it.

Turns on when I sit in the drivers seat and hit the break. Shuts off when I get out of the drivers seat.

#Perfect

I will update if anything adverse happens.
--M1XMSTR

PXL_20210224_214644378.jpg

###Spelling Corrections since I can't edit for some reason.

I did NOT use a relay, I am using the Valentine 1 hard wiring kit which is fused. I do not see a need for this, and no one gave a valid reason to use a relay that I found. If something goes wack, perform the reset that was detailed to reset it.

Turns on when I sit in the drivers seat and hit the brake. Shuts off when I get out of the drivers seat.

I got tired of waiting for a better fix and my son offered to help me yesterday, so we did this brown wire hack as well. We used this ASH-100DD solid state relay that I got on Amazon for $12 bucks and it worked great.

View attachment 552089

• Bottom-Left: Ground
  • Bottom-Right: Brown wire from center console
  • Top-Right: Blue accessory wire or VC_LEFT
  • Top-Left: Your equipment
Now your equipment will turn on when you open the door and turn off when you get out and close the door, like before 16.2.1.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came here to say thank you and to the others who contributed to this thread. I wasn't able to find a switched 12v that would switch off until the car went to sleep - seems a common problem I wasn't aware of. This relay and the way you wired it, worked perfectly for me.

I did make a slight alteration on mine as I installed and housed it in the center console:
  • Bottom-Left: Ground (negative wire from the cig socket and grounded my device on this too)
  • Bottom-Right: Positive wire (IRRC this was brown too) from the footwell light (I installed rear footwells so it was easy for me to use this connection
  • Top-Right: Blue accessory wire
Worked flawlessly - I hope this helps reassures someone who comes across this as I did.

Use an old credit card to remove the triangle trim, having the glove box made this simple.

Using your hands pop the trim (start by the middle of the seat and work your way up to the passenger kick).

From the YouTube video I took a screenshot, and props to another poster here who stated it was the smaller of the 2 red wires.

Multimeter ground in the threaded hole (there is no bolt here, there are 2 spots like this), and pos in the wire you just tagged.

Closed all the doors, opened the drivers door, sat on the seat, hit the brake and Bob's your Uncle 12V.

Passenger Kick for the VCRight (Thinner of the 2 Red wires -- See photo) I had a bolt that would screw into one of the threaded holes for ground.

I did NOT use a relay, I am using the Valentine 1 hard wiring kit which is fused. I do not see a need for this an no one gave a valid reason to use a relay that I found. If something goes wack, perform the reset that was detailed to reset it.

Turns on when I sit in the drivers seat and hit the break. Shuts off when I get out of the drivers seat.

#Perfect

--M1XMSTR

View attachment 639712
Any idea what this wire was that you tapped into?

I've got the wiring diagram for the model Y and my right kick opened up hoping to find this switched power. But there are a lot of red wires in this loom and I don't want to start cutting through each one to figure it out. Hoping i can trace if I know the identity of the wire.

Any idea what this wire was that you tapped into?

I've got the wiring diagram for the model Y and my right kick opened up hoping to find this switched power. But there are a lot of red wires in this loom and I don't want to start cutting through each one to figure it out. Hoping i can trace if I know the identity of the wire.
No I'm sorry I don't know where it runs to. The only oddities with the wire in the 3 is it will turn on my radar detector when I play games which doesn't make sense really.

The one I tapped (and checked) was a slightly smaller red wire, but I highly recommend testing whichever you find. I'll check some other forums and see if I can find something for you.

No I'm sorry I don't know where it runs to. The only oddities with the wire in the 3 is it will turn on my radar detector when I play games which doesn't make sense really.

The one I tapped (and checked) was a slightly smaller red wire, but I highly recommend testing whichever you find. I'll check some other forums and see if I can find something for you.
In the Y, there is a massive bundle of wires and a lot of red ones. I suspect I'm seeing many connectors bundled together here. I bought service manual access but there is just a lot to dig through and I have ordered a SAVVY and going to try using the ODBII adapter I bought, and see if I can get switched power doing it that way.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came here to say thank you and to the others who contributed to this thread. I wasn't able to find a switched 12v that would switch off until the car went to sleep - seems a common problem I wasn't aware of. This relay and the way you wired it, worked perfectly for me.

I did make a slight alteration on mine as I installed and housed it in the center console:
  • Bottom-Left: Ground (negative wire from the cig socket and grounded my device on this too)
  • Bottom-Right: Positive wire (IRRC this was brown too) from the footwell light (I installed rear footwells so it was easy for me to use this connection
  • Top-Right: Blue accessory wire
Worked flawlessly - I hope this helps reassures someone who comes across this as I did.
I'd love to see how you housed this in the console if it's on the back.

I've got an ambient light kit to install and it would make things far more convenient if I could connect everything from the rear of the console.

I'd love to see how you housed this in the console if it's on the back.

I've got an ambient light kit to install and it would make things far more convenient if I could connect everything from the rear of the console.
Initially, I was thinking of housing it in the back of the console too but changed my mind. I tucked in my relay under the cup holders - sorry I didn't take a picture of it housed as I finished it off pretty late and wanted to close it up. I did get this pic which will show roughly where I installed it (i run my ambients off this too btw).
IMG_20210321_175413.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: id436eg9045

Did the same as this guy on my 2021 SR+. VC_RIGHT, no relay, but used a fused hardwire kit. The wiring looms look a little bit different on the 2021, but used a safety pin to multi-meter the red wires until I found the one that would provide 12-13v when car was on and someone was sitting on the front seat....drops down to 1.2v then 0v after a while when you get out of the car.
IMG_7322.jpg

Reactions: Futaba

#Perfect

--M1XMSTR

View attachment 639712

I am going to be giving this a go when my 2021 performance shows up in a few weeks. Any issues with your install since this time? I assume the two holes you refer to for ground are fairly easy to spot?

Did the same as this guy on my 2021 SR+. VC_RIGHT, no relay, but used a fused hardwire kit. The wiring looms look a little bit different on the 2021, but used a safety pin to multi-meter the red wires until I found the one that would provide 12-13v when car was on and someone was sitting on the front seat....drops down to 1.2v then 0v after a while when you get out of the car.
View attachment 694803
Did you use a similar method for ground as m1x? Any other differences in the 2021 I should look out for? Thanks!

Just wanted to chime in and say that this works great on a 2021 M3P. There actually seems to be more than 2 red wires in that bundle, there's at least 3. I accidentally tapped into the smallest of the 3 and that one wasn't it. The correct one is the 2nd biggest red wire. 👍

Just wanted to chime in and say that this works great on a 2021 M3P. There actually seems to be more than 2 red wires in that bundle, there's at least 3. I accidentally tapped into the smallest of the 3 and that one wasn't it. The correct one is the 2nd biggest red wire. 👍
Appreciate this. Mine finally arrived last night and I am going to try to tackle this project today.

I have been reading these threads and the info is all over the place. Can someone consolidate it?

Pin in left VC connector which is now populated with a red wire that possibly goes to hitch wiring, switches off when car is asleep (also accessible in footwell bundle)
Red wire from right VC that goes to rear amp, switched with sleep
Blue wire in left foot well bundle apparently a good constant voltage source.
Brown wire from center console switch which triggers center console lights, apparently the only known switched 12v that is off when the cars not in use but also not sleeping. But very low current capability, so low it doesn't trigger many relays.

Sentry mode and many other things stop the car from sleeping making use of most of these wires possibly not appropriate depending on application.

That's a semi consolidation, but should include pictures and better description. Just typed up in order to ask, is the brown wire the only thing that's been found that's off when the cars out of sleep but not in use?

Reactions: kodenco and rlb4
I have been reading these threads and the info is all over the place. Can someone consolidate it?

Pin in left VC connector which is now populated with a red wire that possibly goes to hitch wiring, switches off when car is asleep (also accessible in footwell bundle)
Red wire from right VC that goes to rear amp, switched with sleep
Blue wire in left foot well bundle apparently a good constant voltage source.
Brown wire from center console switch which triggers center console lights, apparently the only known switched 12v that is off when the cars not in use but also not sleeping. But very low current capability, so low it doesn't trigger many relays.

Sentry mode and many other things stop the car from sleeping making use of most of these wires possibly not appropriate depending on application.

That's a semi consolidation, but should include pictures and better description. Just typed up in order to ask, is the brown wire the only thing that's been found that's off when the cars out of sleep but not in use?
Red wire in right VC switches off when weight is removed from driver's seat and car is locked. Sentry mode does not affect the power status. Its off when the car is "unoccupied", on when it is.