Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1300 Miles with a P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... My test drive weekend ended Monday morning at 4AM, and I was very, very, very sad.

Tesla in Nashville gave me a fully-loaded P100DL with under 100 miles on it as a vehicle to test drive to Jackson, Mississippi and back over the weekend. It didn't have autopilot or TACC (for some reason they weren't enabled), but that wasn't a big deal to me. The drive was still amazingly smooth and quiet, the handling of the car was beautiful, and being able to just pass someone without thinking about it at all is awesome.

The trip from Nashville to Jackson, MS is about 420 miles one way. On the trip into Mississippi I left Nashville at an 85% SOC and doing 74 made it to Birmingham with a 19% SOC. Stopped there for dinner (only needed to stop for 45 minutes, but ended up being there for nearly an hour) and left there with about an 85% SOC. Got to Meridian Mississippi (doing 80 the whole way) and by the time I had found the bathroom in the mall the charger was at, the car was ready to go. Needless to say, overcharged and then did 80 into Jackson... Stopped at the Pearl supercharger to get it up to a higher SOC (arrived around 40%) for some joy-riding and around town driving... Did some launches with a friend in the car, drooled over the performance, and then drove about another 15 minutes to my friend's house. He had set up a 30 amp circuit for me to charge on, so I plugged in the car and let it charge overnight.

Saturday and Sunday was a lot of just driving for the heck of it. Showed the car off to several friends, did a TON of launches, drove over some rough road, smooth road, twisty road, straight road... All of it. Enjoyed every. Single. Mile. I drive a Cadillac day to day, and this car blows the ride quality and handling out of the water. I could nearly floor it from a stop around a 90 degree turn and not have a problem. No slip, no body roll, nothing. It just goes!

Sunday night got exciting... I got the car up to about 83% SOC and set out for Memphis. I didn't bother to put Memphis into the route planner on the car until i was about 45 minutes out of Jackson. It popped up saying to stay under 65MPH and that I _SHOULD_ arrive at 5% SOC. Then it started to rain, and it told me to slow down to 55MPH and that I should arrive with a 3% SOC. "Oh crap!" I thought. I ignored the 65MPH warning for a bit, but then dropped it down to 63MPH when it told me to slow to 55... And made it just fine. Got to the Memphis SC at a 5% SOC and stopped there for about an hour. As it was about 11:00 at this point, none of the places near the SC were open, so I just took a nap in the back seat. Left Memphis with an estimated 55% when i arrived to Jackson, TN so I set cruise to 80MPH and just enjoyed the nice quiet, smooth, effortless ride. Got to Jackson at a 51% SOC (Not too far off considering I was speeding) and took a quick 20 minute nap and then did 80MPH back to Brentwood, TN. Dropped the car off around 3:30AM and then rambled on and on and on to my Uber driver about how awesome it was!

So what did I learn?

EVs can EASILY be used for long trips, and stopping actually makes the trip feel SHORTER. My Cadillac can make the trip in a solid go with no stops, but stopping and taking those little naps and having dinner makes all the difference. I wasn't sore, I wasn't tired, and I was still ready to keep driving if I needed to!

AP is NOT A REQUIREMENT. This car is SO much fun to drive, and so EASY to drive that AP isn't needed at all. Would it have been nice? Sure. But this drive convinced me that I can get a P85 or an 85D second-hand and be perfectly happy without AP.

Rain makes a difference, as do the 21" wheels. As nice as they look, I'll likely opt for the 19" wheels and some slightly harder tires to keep range up. The sport tires on the 21" wheels are awesome for handling and fun, but when it comes to driving in the rain (or just long distance travel) the hurt they put on range is noticeable. I made it to Memphis with 16 miles left in the tank... That means if the car had the 19" wheels, I could have made it with a little over 40 miles left in the tank. Certainly worth the sacrifice in looks.

Air suspension is absolutely amazing, as is a crazy low center of gravity.

Ludicrous+ is absolutely not needed, but oh so so so much fun. It literally sucks the blood out of your face. (My friends thought I was joking when i told them that; They stopped laughing the first time I punched it)

All in all, I am very impressed with the Model S and look forward to finding one with the options I want... Used. I have a rule against buying new cars, and to make this trip comfortably I do want to at least have an 85KWH battery. I could PROBABLY swing the payment on a 90D or a P90D, but I can DEFINITELY swing the payment on an 85D or P85, and will enjoy the car a lot more knowing I'm getting about 95% of the P100DL for less than half the price. Insurance is also about $500/month cheaper on a 2014 P85 than on a 2017 90D.

On the down side, gasoline vehicles suck and I spend a lot of time in rental cars for my work. Waiting on the thing to start moving after I press the gas is terrible...

Nice!

Wind, rain, and temperature can all play significantly into the range projection, as does driving speed. A lot is factored into the projection in the trip computer, so even for a first road trip, keeping an eye on that value is a good way to go.

I learned the hard way once that 40mph+ headwinds in the middle of the Mojave desert can rob me of 20% of SoC on a 120 mile stretch. I thought I was being overly judicious charging to a 25% buffer, but even after reducing my speed slightly, barely arrived at my next charger with 5% SoC, with the trip computer oscillating between 5% and "uhhh I'd rather not say"

A lot of range anxiety is overrated. Wormholes don't usually open that dramatically change your energy consumption between superchargers. Sure there are truly exceptional conditions like superchargers being closed that can ruin your day, but gas road trips are also not without those kinds of problems.

Nice!

Wind, rain, and temperature can all play significantly into the range projection, as does driving speed. A lot is factored into the projection in the trip computer, so even for a first road trip, keeping an eye on that value is a good way to go.

I learned the hard way once that 40mph+ headwinds in the middle of the Mojave desert can rob me of 20% of SoC on a 120 mile stretch. I thought I was being overly judicious charging to a 25% buffer, but even after reducing my speed slightly, barely arrived at my next charger with 5% SoC, with the trip computer oscillating between 5% and "uhhh I'd rather not say"

A lot of range anxiety is overrated. Wormholes don't usually open that dramatically change your energy consumption between superchargers. Sure there are truly exceptional conditions like superchargers being closed that can ruin your day, but gas road trips are also not without those kinds of problems.

I think once I get my MS, I'll start punching in the trip before I leave shore power... That way if it spits out "5% remaining with no HVAC and 45MPH cruising speed" I'll know to just hang around at the charger a bit longer before heading on... :)

It's incredible how quickly my average consumption dropped once I got to dry road... I was around 380wh/mile on wet road, and then five miles into dry road I was down to 320wh/mile. I'm sure the performance tires don't help that at all, but I didn't think rain had THAT much of an impact on range.

It was in the high 50s for most of the trip home, so killing AC and heat wasn't a big deal. It made for a windshield that'd get foggy in the rain, but that wasn't a big deal for me.

It probably also didn't help that I left my friend's house with an 83% SOC and, being overly confident, may have inserted my foot into the floor a few times... I expect that as time progresses, though, a supercharger will pop up between Memphis and Jackson, MS and between Birmingham and Nashville.

Wait you put 1300 miles on a weekend test drive?

Damn, a 1300 mile test drive? And that was the plan in advance?
Compare that to my first Tesla bought sight unseen in 2012

Yep. I told them up-front that the car would be primarily used for this trip (as well as general around-town driving) and that I wouldn't even look at considering buying one until I knew I could comfortably make the trip... the SC manager had no issues letting me test drive one for the weekend, knowing that it would be on the road for most all of the weekend.

The Nashville dealer has several cars that they buy from Tesla for demo units like this. I'm not sure if that's how they all work, but I'm very thankful they were so willing to let me drive it so far. I even had to call them while I was in Jackson with the AC not working (firmware bug on AP 2.0 cars), and they took a screenshot of the temperature in the car and outside. They knew I was six hours away, though, and so there wasn't much they could do except say "Sorry." Thankfully the bug resolved itself about an hour later.

More than likely, the car I actually buy will be sight-unseen. This was just a demo for me to prove to myself that I could make trips in an electric car without wanting to hang myself. :)

Reactions: benjiejr
Wow, how generous of Tesla to offer such a long test drive! That's a lot of depreciation on a $150K car.

Since you are now hooked on Tesla, don't forget you can rent Tesla's in a lot of cities from owners on Turo.com or even some of the traditional car rental companies in some markets.

Wow, how generous of Tesla to offer such a long test drive! That's a lot of depreciation on a $150K car.

Since you are now hooked on Tesla, don't forget you can rent Tesla's in a lot of cities from owners on Turo.com or even some of the traditional car rental companies in some markets.

$160K car... It had literally every option except the sunroof. (Did have the pano, though, which was awesome)

yeah seriously.. the depreciation is $1 a mile so $1300 test drive haha. glad you enjoyed it!

Surely Teslas don't actually depreciate this badly... From what I can seem to find, they hold value like cell phones... It's nearly constant, until the new version of AP or something comes out.

Great post, but the above caught me as being way off. You aren't paying $500/month for car insurance I hope?

Personally the insurance on my P100D is only about $200 more every six months than my Nissan Leaf so about $33.33/month.

I'm paying $180/month for insurance on my Cadillac right now. Insurance on the P100DL (I insured it under my own policy while i had the car in case something happened) was $27 PER DAY, or $1200/month. A P85 is about $1800/six months and an 85D is about $1700/six months. A P85D is about $5000/six months. I have no idea how they're coming up with these numbers, except basing it directly off the horsepower figures.

Uhh, you left out a critical bit of information. Where did you eat in Birmingham, AL Supercharger | Chargerville? And how was it?

Fun reading about your trip. Glad it worked out for you and that the AC got working.

BTW, Nashville are a store, not a dealer. They are Tesla so don't have to buy the demo cars.

Ate at Mugshots... Wasn't bad, but i also wasn't terribly hungry so just got some pasta. I didn't do much looking around besides figuring out which lines out the doors were shorter...

The way Tesla explained it is that the demo car is somehow the property of that specific store, but as that wasn't the purpose of that phone call I didn't really press for details.

I'm paying $180/month for insurance on my Cadillac right now. Insurance on the P100DL (I insured it under my own policy while i had the car in case something happened) was $27 PER DAY, or $1200/month. A P85 is about $1800/six months and an 85D is about $1700/six months. A P85D is about $5000/six months. I have no idea how they're coming up with these numbers, except basing it directly off the horsepower figures.

HOLY (insert every known profane word you know here) !!

10 grand a year for insurance, that's beyond insane it's ludicrous.

$160K car... It had literally every option except the sunroof. (Did have the pano, though, which was awesome)

Surely Teslas don't actually depreciate this badly... From what I can seem to find, they hold value like cell phones... It's nearly constant, until the new version of AP or something comes out.
That's what tesla discounts them, 1 dollar per mile
So if you were to purchase that car you just drove. You just saved yourself 1300 bucks.
If you can probably swing the payment on the P90D, I'd get myself a 100D.

Or the car you just drove, ask the store (not dealer) about the cars price.

HOLY (insert every known profane word you know here) !!

10 grand a year for insurance, that's beyond insane it's ludicrous.

Welcome to why i refuse to buy new cars.. Especially when they're nearly $100,000 new cars :) I'm still too young with too many speeding tickets to be able to get good insurance on a brand new highperformance car. (But on the bright side, my premium drops about $200/six months every six months.)

That's what tesla discounts them, 1 dollar per mile
So if you were to purchase that car you just drove. You just saved yourself 1300 bucks.
If you can probably swing the payment on the P90D, I'd get myself a 100D.

Or the car you just drove, ask the store (not dealer) about the cars price.

Oh, neat. I didn't know that they discounted them that much. I know they discount showroom floor models and demos, but I didn't realize it was that much. I guess when it's all said and done, they'll probably sell that $160,000 car for around $140,000, then.

I think when i said "I can probably swing the payment on a 90D or a P90D" i meant "I can probably swing the payment on a 90D and then hope maybe hell freezes over and I can get a P90D" :) I didn't realize that was a $40,000 P.