Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Install - Chicago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a good contact in Chicago? I was quoted $2350 and that seems incredibly high.
I'm in a condo building, so I'll need to have a separate meter installed ($550) and I need a new line run from the electric room to the garage (not close).

Central Chicago high-rise condo building, 5th floor parking spot. Quoted $3k for a 14-50 install. 50 amp service with long conduit and wiring run down to the building's 2nd floor parking garage panel - No submeter). Building manages installs and getting 2nd quote so I can't help you with the individual company, but hopefully my quote provides perspective.

Does anyone have a good contact in Chicago? I was quoted $2350 and that seems incredibly high.
I'm in a condo building, so I'll need to have a separate meter installed ($550) and I need a new line run from the electric room to the garage (not close).

Sorry, probably not out of line. You can probably improve it a bit with more quotes. It is worth checking craigslist. As long as the electrician is licensed and the install is inspected there is little risk.

Central Chicago high-rise condo building, 5th floor parking spot. Quoted $3k for a 14-50 install. 50 amp service with long conduit and wiring run down to the building's 2nd floor parking garage panel - No submeter). Building manages installs and getting 2nd quote so I can't help you with the individual company, but hopefully my quote provides perspective.

FWIW @jhawk74 - my building got a 2nd quote at $4k(!) for my 5th floor parking spot 14-50 install, so going with above quote. This is commercial/union install with long conduit run through multiple floors.

Yeah, honestly, in Chicago for a commercial install this does not sound that bad.

We hear of installs nearly that expensive in basic residential sometimes.

I would get more details on what is being quoted though. I assume it is being installed in EMT conduit?

I would in that scenario make sure to install 6awg wire so you could alternatively do a wall connector and set it to 60 amps (48a actual charge speed).

And actually, why do a 14-50 at all? I am a much greater fan of a Wall Connector.

Even if you don’t want a Wall Connector it sounds like the wiring run is long. You could save a bit on copper wire by doing a 6-50 (no neutral). Neutral is totally superfluous for EV charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: ord3r and Rocky_H
My situation: Condo building with a parking garage, somewhat long run from electric box to my parking space, new NEMA 14-50 outlet, but without adding a separate meter. Cost was just over $1,900, so your estimate with a new separate meter doesn't seem bad to me.

Did the condo association/property manager recommend the electrician? On the one hand, you may be able to get a cheaper install from another provider, but on the other hand, if you use the building's/manager's recommendation and something goes wrong, they can't blame you for picking a bad service provider.

One other thing: I had the electrician install wiring which would work for a Tesla Wall Connector so that if I ever decide to upgrade from the NEMA 14-50, I would just need to change out the circuit breaker and not pay for re-wiring.

Good luck.

I'm having the 14-50 outlet installed (above quote for $3k) because the building said they reserved 50amps max per parking spot (I don't know enough to argue this point), and I believe the 14-50 will provide the best return when we sell the condo/parking spot (in maybe 4-5 years) so that it is not Tesla specific charging. I did buy the 14-50 plug Wall Connector before they disappeared so I can keep the mobile connector in trunk.

One other thing: I had the electrician install wiring which would work for a Tesla Wall Connector so that if I ever decide to upgrade from the NEMA 14-50, I would just need to change out the circuit breaker and not pay for re-wiring.
That's kind of backward and doesn't make sense because:

And actually, why do a 14-50 at all? I am a much greater fan of a Wall Connector.

Even if you don’t want a Wall Connector it sounds like the wiring run is long. You could save a bit on copper wire by doing a 6-50 (no neutral). Neutral is totally superfluous for EV charging.
The wiring you would need for a wall connector has less in it. It is less capable, and you might have to upgrade the wiring run if you were to change to an outlet later. The outlet needs four wires, but the wall connector needs only three. So if you already have the wiring in for an outlet, with all four wires, you can always switch it to a wall connector and cap off the unused wire.

That's kind of backward and doesn't make sense because:

The wiring you would need for a wall connector has less in it. It is less capable, and you might have to upgrade the wiring run if you were to change to an outlet later. The outlet needs four wires, but the wall connector needs only three. So if you already have the wiring in for an outlet, with all four wires, you can always switch it to a wall connector and cap off the unused wire.

So installing wiring capable of handling a 60a circuit (even if you only use it on a 50a circuit with a receptacle today) makes some level of sense to me as you could later make use of the full 48a charge rate with the right EVSE. (though this level of charge capability is overkill for many folks driving patterns, though not materially different in cost)

Unless the wiring run is super short, I am becoming less and less of a fan with 14-50 receptacles since the neutral wire is fully wasted and will *never* be used by any EVSE (whether hardwired or using a receptacle).

If you want to use a receptacle on a long run, I would do a 6-50. Just saves on wire, potentially conduit size (though it is probably 3/4in either way), labor costs to pull it, etc...

Frankly, if I was the original poster, I would spend the money on a Wall Connector for now, and then when you move out, just pull off the Wall Connector and put in a 6-50 (or blank plate it off). You can still sell it as EV ready in either case!

But the good news is that *all* of these solutions are great and will result in care free EV ownership. :)

Reactions: Rocky_H
My high-rise specifics: I’m not the OP, my 14-50 install was completed today with specs similar to OP’s question so sharing in this thread.

I own a tandem parking spot on the 5th floor of a high-rise. Electricians installed NEMA 14-50 outlet (50 amp/208 volt service). Wire and conduit run from the 2nd floor. Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector (not the hardwired version) attached to wood post. Install cost $2,950 (lowest of two quotes). This is commercial/union electrician approved by building’s engineer.

Why 14-50 outlet w/Wall Connector? My logic is that I will be selling condo/parking at some point so NEMA 14-50 is universal. With Wall Connector I get 40 amp output ~25% faster charge than if I used mobile connector and critically a 24’ cable (mobile is only 20’). Charge rate is plenty fast for our use case. Hope this information is useful for others in similar situation.

C1C315C0-591F-4622-8E21-1805A09A1973.jpeg
0A0EFA5D-DF7E-4A1E-95F7-41B543772418.jpeg
AF0D3914-A044-4F5A-9E3C-7D0B9125FC9C.jpeg

1092EDB9-54B8-443F-B087-5C4C65FCE56C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A58A737-753B-4ED6-A27D-129860C708BD.jpeg
    1A58A737-753B-4ED6-A27D-129860C708BD.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: eprosenx and brkaus