Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150kW vs 120kW in supercharger.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla updated the maximum power of V2 superchargers to 150kW (in North America for now), the data in supercharge.info is inconsistent. Some sites were updated to 150kW while other remained 120kW. No site in New England was updated, even though the car navigation shows all non-urban supercharger in the area as 150kW. Please update the site to match the in-car navigation data.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Please update the site to match the in-car navigation data.

There are about 1,531 Superchargers so what's the strategy for an unpaid hobbyist to accomplish updating the 150 kW sites?

Then after that, how about doing that again for 250 kW sites?

It sounds like we need to hire a robust software engineer team to do just that.

There are about 1,531 Superchargers so what's the strategy for an unpaid hobbyist to accomplish updating the 150 kW sites?

Then after that, how about doing that again for 250 kW sites?

It sounds like we need to hire a robust software engineer team to do just that.

It really isn't that hard to do a mass update in a database. For example, with MySQL you would do this with a simple query such as:

UPDATE supercharges SET power = 150 WHERE power = 120 AND region = 'NA';

As for 250kW sites, Tesla won't be able to update all V2 sites to V3 by just a software update, so there is no need for mass update.

The thing is, not every v2 site is now 150kW. There are many exceptions, so you can't do a blanket find and replace:

See the posts from joel here: Supercharger sites' data which need updating or contain errors

upload_2019-5-16_11-59-34.png

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Rocky_H
I don't understand why Tesla keeps two versions of their supercharger database, on for the cars and one for their web site and their partners. The one in the cars seems much more up-to-date, so why not use it on the web as well?

I agree. I believe there is some data like capacity and usage patterns that they don't want to be free for all, but they could simply not display this on the website. But having a supercharger listed as 120kW on the website and 150kW on the in-car nav simultaneously makes no sense.

Reactions: outdoors
I agree. I believe there is some data like capacity and usage patterns that they don't want to be free for all, but they could simply not display this on the website. But having a supercharger listed as 120kW on the website and 150kW on the in-car nav simultaneously makes no sense.

For what it's worth - I've worked through their dataset a lot and I'm pretty sure the reason is because the vehicle decides whether or not it can support 150kw before displaying that on the charger. It looks like most if not all 120kw chargers can support 150kw, if the vehicle can do it, but they're not going to list a higher rate online if all cars can't support it.

What in the world difference does it make whether the charger is listed at 120 or 150 kW??? If you charge much at all, you soon find that having another car pairing with you, or having a hot day, can cut your kW to closer to 30 kW. Most places will not give you more than maybe 105 kW, max, and that's only if you're not paired.

And what's your hurry? After you drive off the freeway and find the SC, you realize that since it's 5PM all the locals are off work and are trying to get a full charge (Really, folks??!!) and there are no free chargers at all. Head on around to the back of the line and wait an hour. Doesn't matter if you're on a trip. Three of the chargers are blocked as their owners are over at the restaurant and are NOT coming back to move their cars. Another charger has been down two weeks and still isn't fixed. Sure, Elon says he's going to charge owners for anything over 90%, but you know that won't deter anybody. They've got free parking! And they'll just tell Tesla that they weren't gone that long.

The smart travelers charge in the middle of the day, Mon-Fri, and "never on a Sunday" as that's when the locals are all trying to get a free charge for the week. I mean, charging at home costs, what, maybe ten cents a Kw? Shoot, that would be near ten dollars for a fill up! Or less!

So, charge to full at home, and only use SC enough to get to your destination (what a concept!) where you can charge overnight enough to get back.

I wish all the newbies could figure this out. Superchargers are for TRAVEL ONLY. Get an electrician to add an outlet to your garage and charge at night. Quit having to fight the hassle at the SCs and leave them for people who really need them to get to their next stop.

Wouldn't hurt if Tesla would insist on raising the price of your car $2000, to be returned when you can show proof that you have the outlet.

What in the world difference does it make whether the charger is listed at 120 or 150 kW??? If you charge much at all, you soon find that having another car pairing with you, or having a hot day, can cut your kW to closer to 30 kW. Most places will not give you more than maybe 105 kW, max, and that's only if you're not paired.

And what's your hurry? After you drive off the freeway and find the SC, you realize that since it's 5PM all the locals are off work and are trying to get a full charge (Really, folks??!!) and there are no free chargers at all. Head on around to the back of the line and wait an hour. Doesn't matter if you're on a trip. Three of the chargers are blocked as their owners are over at the restaurant and are NOT coming back to move their cars. Another charger has been down two weeks and still isn't fixed. Sure, Elon says he's going to charge owners for anything over 90%, but you know that won't deter anybody. They've got free parking! And they'll just tell Tesla that they weren't gone that long.

The smart travelers charge in the middle of the day, Mon-Fri, and "never on a Sunday" as that's when the locals are all trying to get a free charge for the week. I mean, charging at home costs, what, maybe ten cents a Kw? Shoot, that would be near ten dollars for a fill up! Or less!

So, charge to full at home, and only use SC enough to get to your destination (what a concept!) where you can charge overnight enough to get back.

I wish all the newbies could figure this out. Superchargers are for TRAVEL ONLY. Get an electrician to add an outlet to your garage and charge at night. Quit having to fight the hassle at the SCs and leave them for people who really need them to get to their next stop.

Wouldn't hurt if Tesla would insist on raising the price of your car $2000, to be returned when you can show proof that you have the outlet.
Apartment/condo dwellers without home charging options is a big issue in the Bay Area. That's one reason why there are so many superchargers here.