Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dudes - Summon actually works now! I tested it once in and once out, and it didn't head straight for the edge of my garage. Still don't trust it but would be nice if Tesla gave a guarantee for any damage it causes, otherwise it's just a party trick. I'd love for my car to meet me out front in the morning like advertised!

I've witnessed data transfer I've never seen before!

I got 17.17.4 last night and today I drove ~100 miles with it. I just got back to my garage at ~935 PM and immediately opened my router app to look at the network traffic. I've done this a lot with prior updates out of curiosity and the car usually does a quick spike of up/down not lasting more than 10 seconds (I imagine syncing some basic state).

HOWEVER. Tonight, it uploaded at a constant 168 kbps (kilobits per second) for over 10 minutes. Behold! Of course the moment I took this SS it was at lower than 168 kbps but it was only for a moment. My home upload speeds are well over 100 Mbps and the fact it stayed at 168 so solidly for so long leads me to believe it was a purposeful upload throttle on the remote end.

Doing some back of the napkin math, my Model S uploaded anywhere from 12 to 15 MB (megabytes) over 10 minutes.

Is this the video clips it recorded during the day perhaps?

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Dudes - Summon actually works now! I tested it once in and once out, and it didn't head straight for the edge of my garage. Still don't trust it but would be nice if Tesla gave a guarantee for any damage it causes, otherwise it's just a party trick. I'd love for my car to meet me out front in the morning like advertised!

OK I take it back. Worked 2/3 times. The third time it tried crashing into my wall again. Damn it Tesla your features can't be trusted.

I got 17.17.4 on our 2017 S90D. I did a quick drive mostly freeway evening ~60 Miles. Seems like it holds the lane ok at lower speeds but above 80 it waves through corners.

In general it seems like is hunting for lane center and does not have a locked-in feel in curves. Not sure if its an improvement or not at this point. Need to drive it some more to find out.

I feel like AP1 is still slightly better through long sweeping curves.

I got 17.17.4 last night and today I drove ~100 miles with it. I just got back to my garage at ~935 PM and immediately opened my router app to look at the network traffic. I've done this a lot with prior updates out of curiosity and the car usually does a quick spike of up/down not lasting more than 10 seconds (I imagine syncing some basic state).

HOWEVER. Tonight, it uploaded at a constant 168 kbps (kilobits per second) for over 10 minutes. Behold! Of course the moment I took this SS it was at lower than 168 kbps but it was only for a moment. My home upload speeds are well over 100 Mbps and the fact it stayed at 168 so solidly for so long leads me to believe it was a purposeful upload throttle on the remote end.

Doing some back of the napkin math, my Model S uploaded anywhere from 12 to 15 MB (megabytes) over 10 minutes.

Is this the video clips it recorded during the day perhaps?

This sounds interesting, given that they now released the new "collect data/video from car" disclaimer that you are automatically enrolled in.

Tesla updates data sharing policy to include collecting video in order to ‘make self-driving a reality’

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I have observed this too. I hope its not a step in he wrong direction. Finding the 'road' without markings was something AP1 never did and something that was potentially showing AP2s improvements. :eek:

I think they dialed it back because the car would find lines where there were none in other situations. It wasn't good enough to be useful for me at least as the car would ping pong from side to side of unmarked roads. They need to just have it use a left or right edge when there's no center markings, not try and find both.

Reactions: Veritas1980
I tested 17.17.4 today in moderate rain on local roads. Still not very usable. AP lost track of the lanes a few times and I had to take over. AP also did not handle curves as well as I would have hoped. Sounds like it has improved on sunny days but there is some room for improvement in rainy and wet conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
So on my commute in I did a lot of local roads, the car lost the lines as I went through an intersection, but what I did notice that I've never seen before is that the car in front of me turned blue and I locked onto it and followed it's every move. I don't think it did this with the previous update. Anyone else notice this yet?

I got the update last night. I tried it on the curvy highway this morning that I know it hasn't been able to handle before. I'm still going to stick with that. I can't handle the curves, it did a tiny bit better but still has too high of a pucker factor.

Mitchellh3, was there something that indicated the bandwidth you saw (168kbps) was upload? I was just looking at your picture and didn't see up/down specified individually. Also, be aware that typical consumer tools are sometimes not entirely accurate. So you may want to get more samples, especially with the low numbers you saw there.

In any case, 12 or 15 MB of video doesn't sound like it would be very useful for detailed analysis unless it was really short. Will be interesting to find out more.

FYI, on my car I've seen brief periods of slow upload for a few months now. It's usually about 2-3 minutes over the vpn connection. I have full packet captures :)