Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so after bribing my local tesla service center with krispy kreme donuts, I was able to get the 17.24.28 downloaded and drove 100 miles since. Here are my observations of 17.24.28 after having 17.22.46 for 2 weeks.

Here is my observation of 17.24.28:

1) Big improvement with very little, if any, regression from previous versions.

2) It's silky smooth and more precise within the lanes most of the time... long curves are much better, shorter curves are better but still need improvement.

3) It's more careful on the highway, there is more confidence and precision, and no ping-pong... the more careful part is interesting because it will hesitate in a way that feels like a careful human driver ready to hit the brakes... it doesn't take away from driving confidence though... even though it kind of sounds like this scenario would be troubling.... somehow it isn't troubling when it is hesitating... it's like you have greater certainty as to why the car may be being careful.

4.) The integration of radar has just been implemented or has somehow improved... I think it can see 2 cars in front of me much better... for example, if my car brakes when the car in front of me has not yet braked.... I have more confidence that it must be seeing someone braking 2 cars in front of me... it is similar to that european video where the model x sees an accident before it happens.... It's great that it is safer in this way...

5.) It's auto lane changing was all around better when no one is around, but also if you are in the right lane and a group of faster cars is passing you on the left... when you initiate the auto change as the last car passes you, it is more seamless pulling behind the passing car and accelerating appropriately.... however, you have to make sure it is the last car in the train of cars before auto-lane changing into the fast lane because it did try to cut someone off and squeeze me in to the stack when it definitely wasn't safe to do so.. also, it didn't lane change a couple of times though despite asking it... (see my conclusion/hope at the end of this list related to this observation)

5.) Better on well marked roads but I'm pretty sure it's biggest weakness right now is if there is a red light at the end of a curve, and cars are stopped at the light... it may not see them because it hasn't figured out of cars are in the lane... I abort before testing the AEB

6.) Not great with detection of traffic cones and things in the lane... but this isn't new

7.) I believe that AP2 has become surpassed AP1 in most areas on this update... that is, in my experience, AP2 is now better than the best AP1 I've driven... And just so you AP1 lovers don't have an aneurysm... the most recent time I extensively drove an AP1 vehicle was February 2017... one caveat... AP2 still can't show truck versus car and adjacent lanes... but with this update, I now firmly believe it sees car versus truck and knows what is in the adjacent lanes.... it just isn't showing it yet for some reason.

my hopes:

1) For auto lane change... (and probably parking or summon) I think tesla should use ambient red light around the center display when the car can't (or doesn't want to) follow a command... In order to tell the driver that the car doesn't want to do something doesn't see that it is safe or that there is an opportunity for a lane change.... If the left side of the driving display could glow red (similar to when the car tells you to hold the steering wheel)... I think this would make the experience better and more intuitive. I think tesla could provide feedback and communicate with the pilot through ambient lighting on the center display... so the driver doesn't have to take his eyes off the road...

Thoughts?

Did another 150 miles today... I am more convinced of every observation made yesterday... this update is a HUGE step forward. I'm pretty certain this version is as good or better than AP1 in a majority of things now. Again, I'm comparing to Feb/March 2017 AP1.... One interesting additional observation.... I noticed that the auto lane changes better if the turn signal is pressed slowly in one direction to a full click... if you click it fast to change lanes, it will ignore you, as though it thinks you may have hit the turn signal on accident... give it a try! If the speed limit +5 is followed.... it is the biggest improvement via update I've had so far.

Did another 150 miles today... I am more convinced of every observation made yesterday... this update is a HUGE step forward. I'm pretty certain this version is as good or better than AP1 in a majority of things now. Again, I'm comparing to Feb/March 2017 AP1.... One interesting additional observation.... I noticed that the auto lane changes better if the turn signal is pressed slowly in one direction to a full click... if you click it fast to change lanes, it will ignore you, as though it thinks you may have hit the turn signal on accident... give it a try! If the speed limit +5 is followed.... it is the biggest improvement via update I've had so far.

With regards of the turn signal usage: The manual states that you must hold the turn signal until one set of wheels crosses the lane boundary. If you stop earlier than that, the car will cancel the maneuver.

All i see in this thread is the follow:

Poster A: AP2 is so much better!
Poster B: AP2 has regressed/doesn't work!
Poster C: AP1 is so much better, here's a video
Poster D: AP1 has regressed so much!

Repeat pattern.

Either there are subtle hardware differences between these guys, the differences are so minute that it's completely subjective, or Tesla wiped part of the learning the car has done to reform the learned information...

AP2 model X here. Had service appt today and got 17.24. Seems the Autopilot is more unsure of itself and stutters a lot. Also as mentioned slows down way too slow even on very gradual curves. Also way more jerking than 17.17.4. Hoping this isn't the silky smooth update. Step back for me too. Don't recommend updating. Previously I had 17.17.4.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I'm still on 17.17.17 but I can say after the SC in Nashville fixed an issue sited in a service bulletin that affected some AP2 vehicles, my Model S is performing much better when auto pilot is engaged. The bulletin had to do with the front camera assembly mount putting the cameras at the wrong angle.

This process has been fascinating... I did not expect to enjoy the process of trying to figure out how to learn the machine so much... I always thought I'd be most blown away by the acceleration of my car but instead, I'm most fascinated by autopilot.

I feel like someone who is learning to play the piano while wearing large gloves... and with each update, it is like peeling away a layer of gloves... and so I'm becoming more precise as I don't hit the wrong keys as frequently, but the song I'm still playing sounds out of tune at times... annoyingly so at times... It's weird to discover a new set of problems with each update.... I suspect this is one of the many reasons why folks in the forum feel as though there are regressions... it has been hard to judge the trajectory of software improvements against my increasing familiartiy with the software.

Which leads me to this thought..... Am I high right now? Whoa, I think I just blew my own mind...

With regards of the turn signal usage: The manual states that you must hold the turn signal until one set of wheels crosses the lane boundary. If you stop earlier than that, the car will cancel the maneuver.
Hi, I should have done a better job of explaining that one... I meant to say that the car seems to not even recognize the autolane change request if the turn signal is clicked quickly up or down.... I didn't mean to comment on the cancelling of the signal once auto lane change is working .... but I seem to be able to have ignored requests if I engage the turn signal fully clicked and pressed quickly... like it thinks I may have accidentally hit the turn signal....

Does anyone else wish the small turn signal blinker on the display was bigger? I wish they'd use the ambient glow (like the hold steering warning) around the display when using the lane change except a different color and only surrounding half the display.... does this description make sense? I'm going into the weeds on this one I know....

I'd love to know but I'd not do it on second thought. We don't know how 24.28 is aiding to the whole fleet learning better than 17.17.4.

It just sucks for us to feel we had a step back in performance from 17.4

It sucks bad for sure but we keep moving forward. Sometimes I forget truth is we are all paying premium for an unfinished product and being guinea pigs.

Reactions: BestRadar
i drive every update they came out, categorically on AP2 17.24.28 is a disaster.

Smoother? More about completely missing the car in front.

Someone picked the wrong iteration after optimization.

Why are we all Beta Testers? Shouldn't they be testing their firmware on their own vehicles before they release updates to the public. I did not pay $8000 to be a Beta tester for Tesla. They should be paying us if they want us to Beta test their firmware.

I'd love to know but I'd not do it on second thought. We don't know how 24.28 is aiding to the whole fleet learning better than 17.17.4.

It just sucks for us to feel we had a step back in performance from 17.4

It sucks bad for sure but we keep moving forward. Sometimes I forget truth is we are all paying premium for an unfinished product and being guinea pigs.

Holy crap... I'm beginning to question everything! I can't believe y'all are on the same software... I did another 175 miles today on 17.24.28 and it's much better. That's almost 400 miles in the last 3 days... on this update... I've done 1000 miles in 7 days... 600 miles on 17.22.46 which was really not a very good update... and 17.24.28 is silky smooth.

Also, don't get me wrong, it still is not the best in the local roads, but still better than any AP1 I've driven. Definitely improving. Several times today... I was saying, "niiiiiiice, definitely improving."

I think the person installing all of our cameras at the factory has a lazy eye or something... and that would explain the massively different experiences on this thread

At one point today, I realized, I had gone 25 miles without adjusting anything after engaging autopilot... I'd be pissed if I have the same abilities in 1 year, but there is nothing to make me think this won't keep improving... maybe that's the difference, I've had my car for 3 months... 6000 miles. I would probably be more miffed about things if I had AP2 hardware for 9 months now.