Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~$17 a month for Digital Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem with it is that it's bulky looking and isn't well enough designed to sell at premium prices.

I assume it's just an e-ink screen with LEDs around the edges. It could be manufactured for well under $30 with solar power and bluetooth connectivity to your phone instead of needing a server. The monthly cost is unnecessary. If it was a fixed cost, bezel-less, and be at least 1/3 as thick it would have my interest.

Reactions: bedoig and kbecks13
the plate is not "bulky" - perhaps you've not seen it in person. it looks right at home on my black tesla and it looks like its OEM - this is from several people who have noticed it.

people who claim the plate can track you - so can your phone. at least you know what data are being tracked.

someone mentions it has telematics just like the tesla does - yes correct , and you can get the lower tier that does not offer those services since it is kinda superfluous on the tesla. but when i got the plate my old car didn't have that.

this item is not for everyone. no one here said it was. i knew when the op started this thread there would be so much disdain and disapproval of it. i like it and thousands of other people like them as well. its a niche product. not everyone like tesla. this plate is not everyone's cup of tea. this is why we all have options to customize our cars.

ive had this plate over a year and a half and not one issue. its worth every penny ive invested in it.

Reactions: logan and Mr X
Can someone that recently got this clarify? Is this 36 months lease to own? I just called into their support, and the rep was clueless and said they don't have a 36 months contract promo. She made it sound like it's a constant month to month subscription?

I think it's only one poster in this thread that said it's lease to own, and unfortunately it appears they're incorrect. The terms on the website fairly clearly state you do not own anything. If you cancel the plan, you have to send them back the equipment or pay $300. If it's damaged, you also have to pay some amount. No ownership is stated or implied that I can find.

At the end of the 3 year period, if you get the more expensive Pro model subscription and products are still available, you can ask for a free upgrade to their latest plate design. Most of the discussion in this thread, especially the cost, is regarding the Essential model, not the Pro.

Make sure you understand their privacy policy. It sounds like the company will track your location and use it, among other things, for marketing purposes.

Great. Don't care lol. Our phones and Tesla's already do that. I don't have a warrant nor am I a most wanted felon so I think I'll be good.

I also think the best part about having this plate is knowing whoever is behind me in traffic or sees it while parked is going to be saying something about how stupid and how much of a waste of money they think it is lol

In the beginning it was way overpriced. Now at only $17 bucks a month, that's peanuts. I wouldn't have ordered this plate if it was overpriced. I get to try it for 3 years, see how it is and can cancel if I want. Win.

Also, let's not forget, new tech won't come down in price that quickly if people don't buy it. That even sounds kind of familiar... like Tesla!

Should be getting it sometime next week btw

Should be getting mine on Tuesday. Pretty cool you can change the message on the bottom. Supposedly Fast Track will also be integrated along with Paying for Parking. Cool.

Nice. Wonder where the install is done at, haven't heard back yet but my order has been processed. I saw Al & Ed does Rplate installs so maybe at their shop in LA. I'll probably mess around with that message thing too

Nice. Wonder where the install is done at, haven't heard back yet but my order has been processed. I saw Al & Ed does Rplate installs so maybe at their shop in LA. I'll probably mess around with that message thing too

Not sure, I e-mailed them about that and got no response. I have about mobile installations but who knows. Everything was updated on the App also so I can see my plate and change configurations.

I'll get one once I can flash things like "TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON, YOU DRIBBLING BELL END" or "YOU'RE NOT MY PROCTOLOGIST, GET AWAY FROM MY ASS" at other drivers.

lol.... I’m sure it’s there somewhere

D5E3B517-04C5-463F-9B20-B9E909D60C51.jpeg

Unless I'm reading this wrong...

I was taking another look at this and you can buy one for $350 and pay $3/mth

That's cheaper than the $17/mth. You own it. And if you keep it longer than 3 yr it just gets cheaper.

If I owned it and the mth is only $3 I might consider it actually.

Reactions: T3SLAROD