Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” vs. 19” Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who’s been able to test each one, how does the ride comfort compare? Which has the bumpier ride?

I’ve read one is a smoother ride than the other, then read the opposite elsewhere. Curious to hear your firsthand accounts.

Edmunds tested both and found the 19" to have a more comfortable ride. This is likely due to the lower PSI of the tires. The 19" are louder (Not by much) on the road. The 19" will out-grip and out-brake the 18", but with the aeros on the 18" add a very significant amount of efficiency. There really are benefits to both.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
19s aren't worth it. 18s are lighter, offer the same width tire and can be used with snow tires. You can get 19" aftermarket rims that look better and are lighter than stock 19s (if you actually want larger rims that 18").

I appreciate the input, but to keep the thread on topic, I was referring to OEM wheels. Just wanted to hear personal experiences driving with each.

Edmunds did say the 19’s were more comfortable, which contradicts some other people’s statements. Also it seems 19’s are more susceptible to potholes due to thinner walls.

Reactions: dcdttu
I test drove the LR awd with the 18's and my bud has the same with tesla 19's. The 18's felt a little greasy/squirmy. They were quiet and comfy, though. The 19's are definitely a little more firm/have more control/not as floaty. My 19's with PS4's are slightly stiffer still but I have the PUP.

If it's a daily, and you have lots of potholes, go with the 18's. If you like to flog it every now and then and want more control, get the 19's.

I have stock 18s and after market 19s. I don't notice much difference the 19s are a firmer and you lose a little range. Any type of rough or bad road is going to be significantly harsher with 19s. 18s will fair better with a pot hole and the rim is slightly higher and they will be a little more forgiving with curb rash They feel about the same on your average road. The reality is there is no difference significant enough to compensate for what you prefer visually and finacially.

• Informative
Reactions: InParadise
I had the 18's for about 1500 miles and now have the 19's. It is true that the 18's are a bit softer and more comfortable. However, I will say, that the 19's make me feel more connected to the road. I feel the road a bit more and not in a bad way. In hindsight, the 18's just feel a little artificial. Bumps and such is not a big difference at all, IMO. I didn't notice a difference in road noise between the two. YMMV