Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” wheels on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dumped the 21” UT tires/wheels from my PMY for some 18s from TSportLine. So when I asked them what wheel setting I should use they said to just leave it on 21”. Looking at tire specs on Tire Rack there wasn’t significant difference in rolling distance between the 21” Michelins and the 18s.

I did do some BEFORE and AFTER testing with my DRAGY and the speedometer read exactly the same at speeds up to 80 mph. The upside is my Y is more efficient and faster than it was on the 21s and I no longer live in fear of curbs or potholes.
Which tire size and brand did you end up getting? Bought rims/tires as package? I have MYP and looking to do the same. Already have a small tear on current tire sidewall from some pothole/curb and multiple rashes on rims.

Did you get a decent efficiency benefit? Also looking to push to 235 if possible as we roadtrip a lot and I can use extra miles whether for margin or allow faster driving speed.

Which tire size and brand did you end up getting? Bought rims/tires as package? I have MYP and looking to do the same. Already have a small tear on current tire sidewall from some pothole/curb and multiple rashes on rims.

Did you get a decent efficiency benefit? Also looking to push to 235 if possible as we roadtrip a lot and I can use extra miles whether for margin or allow faster driving speed.
Imo go with 235/55R18. I just bought this size in Michelin X-Ice Snow for winter set.

I ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s which were the exact same OEM tire in a 245/50-18. TSportLine only offered 3 tire options but am told they might offer more if asked. Yes my wh/mi with the OEM 21s for the first 2500 miles was 295, after 2500 miles with the new tires my wh/mi has stabilized at 275.

Reactions: DownshiftDre
For those of you who went to 18s, are you noticing any improvement in ride? The only thing I really dislike about my MYLR is the suspension.

My winter setup is a much lighter set of 18’s, and I haven’t noticed much of a difference on my ‘22 LR. I’ll be swapping factory Überturbines when it warms up, so I’ll be comparing the extreme end of things in a few weeks.

Reactions: cimmike
For those of you who went to 18s, are you noticing any improvement in ride? The only thing I really dislike about my MYLR is the suspension.
Going from stock 19" gemini wheels and conti tires to 18x8" wheels with 245/60r18 A/T tires (29.6" total diameter) was a slight improvement due to more tire sidewall to help absorb road shock. Would probably be more noticeable coming from 20" or 21" wheels. Some people say aftermarket comfort coilovers help as well. I think the geometry of the MY suspension just makes it hard to be really "comfortable."

Based on the weight of the car, you would also have to match the load of tire as for the size. It is interesting to know there are no snow tire at the OEM 19, 20, 21(if that’s MYP) size, if I m reading OP correctly.

That’s not much of an issue from what I can tell. I’m using a set of skinny 225/60R18 snow tires that were originally purchased for my last car, and they’re rated for 1,764 lbs each. That gives me some headroom over max GAWR of 3,306 lbs. Tires approaching the stock width will be rated for even more.

Lots of people think that the Model Y is a heavy car because it’s an EV. Other EVs are heavy, but these weigh less than a Ford Edge.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Just be mindful to keep your tires inflated to the pressure used for the load rating. 1750 could be down to 1500 or less with an under-inflated tire.

That's very true. If anyone's curious, I've attached the industry standard TRA load inflation table for looking up pressures in alternative sizes.

Attachments

• LoadInflationTable.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
Reactions: cimmike and Detect
Yep - the settings in the computer shouldn't be changing anything relevant to revolutions per mile. The speedo cannot be calibrated using this. You are expected to use the correct diameter tires whether they be 19, 20, or 21".

255/50-18 is the correct size for Model Y fitment - this size does not exist (outside of a few specialty tires), which is probably why Tesla doesn't officially support 18" fitment on the Model Y. 245/50-18 is ever so slightly smaller in diameter, but works great, and has plentiful options.
This is prob a dumb question but I’m just getting my y setup, ideally with those 245/50-18 snow tires, how do you know what size wheels to pair them with and how much does offset matter?

My Enkei J10 wheels were an extremely tight fit around the calipers. The wheel weights didn’t clear the front calipers, so I had to rearrange them to get things to work. Have your shop balance with clip-on weights if you want to avoid any potential issue.

IMG_1277.jpegIMG_1278.jpeg

Not sure if I'm about to hijack this thread with something to tangential...

Anyone have any issues with squirreliness when going down to 18s and any recommendations to resolve if so? I bought the TSportline TSS 18" wheels with Michelin X-Ice Snow 245/50R18 tires, and after having them installed, the ride feels unstable. I expected some level of "cushion" feel with the extra height sidewall, but I'm experiencing noticably fatiguing steering (i.e. having to microadjust steering when going in a straight line) to keep the car driving straight (not necessarily drifting in any one direction, but definitely having to strongarm the steering wheel to stay in the direction I wish to go). With the stock wheels, it felt like my car would stay in the direction I pointed it (better than any car I've ever owned) for an extended time period w/o intervention. Also, we got a couple inches of snow the other day, and I was skidding all over the place worse than when I drove a rear wheel drive gas guzzler with all seasons, even when going under 30 MPH.

If I didn't know better, I'd think my MYLR needs alignment (probably adjusting the camber), but if I have to get an alignment every spring and fall when swapping between wheels, that is more of a process (and cost) than I had hoped for with getting this set of winter tires. I.e. I hoped to only have to a simple swap/rotation of the wheels myself in the spring and fall.

Thanks

Anyone have any issues with squirreliness when going down to 18s and any recommendations to resolve if so? I bought the TSportline TSS 18" wheels with Michelin X-Ice Snow 245/50R18 tires, and after having them installed, the ride feels unstable. I expected some level of "cushion" feel with the extra height sidewall, but I'm experiencing noticably fatiguing steering (i.e. having to microadjust steering when going in a straight line) to keep the car driving straight (not necessarily drifting in any one direction, but definitely having to strongarm the steering wheel to stay in the direction I wish to go). With the stock wheels, it felt like my car would stay in the direction I pointed it (better than any car I've ever owned) for an extended time period w/o intervention. Also, we got a couple inches of snow the other day, and I was skidding all over the place worse than when I drove a rear wheel drive gas guzzler with all seasons, even when going under 30 MPH.

If I didn't know better, I'd think my MYLR needs alignment (probably adjusting the camber), but if I have to get an alignment every spring and fall when swapping between wheels, that is more of a process (and cost) than I had hoped for with getting this set of winter tires. I.e. I hoped to only have to a simple swap/rotation of the wheels myself in the spring and fall.

Thanks
Increasing the sidewall height does give more cushion, it also allows for more side to side movement.

You can increase the tire pressure to lessen this effect (which will stiffen the ride though). But even if you go way past the maximum PSI of the tire, there’s a limit on how much that’ll work.

I’m sure the weight of the Y has some part to do with it.

You might also be right in needing an alignment, but I don’t think you’ll need it every time you swap wheels. It may have simply been out of alignment from the start. I saw a YouTube video of someone rotating their tires and it clearly showed excessive inner wear (inside was nearly bald, while rest had lots of tread depth).

As much as I want to go with 18” for as much sidewall as possible, it think it’s a bit too much for me. 19” might be my limit. My reason is as someone else showed, chance of not clearing the brakes… and now, possibly having too much sidewall to allow too much side-to-side motion.

Thanks
My Vredestein Quatrac Pros were very squirrelly the first week or so. After break-in they are very nice unless there is snow on the road. Though I never had to "strongarm" them.

My Vredestein Quatrac Pros were very squirrelly the first week or so. After break-in they are very nice unless there is snow on the road. Though I never had to "strongarm" them.
At lower speeds, it is more "microadjusting", but on expressways, it definitely feels fatiguing after 15 mins of driving (now I basically have to use autopilot on expressways). From talking with tsportline and the tire shop, both think it has nothing to do with alignment, but rather how much softer the rubber is on the X-Ice Snows, even compared to other winter tires.

Next time I may go for a Blizzak performance winter tire, as my wife's van has a set of Blizzaks, and I've never noticed any "wandering" or feeling unstable with those tires (then again - they are runflats, so stiffer sidewalls).

Also - I was suspicious of the lug nut torque that the tire shop did when they installed my winter tires, and when I checked them, all were between 90-100 ft/lbs... I torqued all up to ~129. I am 99% sure it is only psychological, but it feels more stable since.

Lastly, the tire shop refuses to do an alignment on Teslas and said I needed to go to the Tesla service center. I got a level out and did a DYI check of camber, and all have roughly the same amount of negative camber. I have an unrelated appointment at the service center later this month, and I'm going to ask them to at least check of the alignment to make sure nothing seems off.