Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” wheels on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At lower speeds, it is more "microadjusting", but on expressways, it definitely feels fatiguing after 15 mins of driving (now I basically have to use autopilot on expressways). From talking with tsportline and the tire shop, both think it has nothing to do with alignment, but rather how much softer the rubber is on the X-Ice Snows, even compared to other winter tires.

Next time I may go for a Blizzak performance winter tire, as my wife's van has a set of Blizzaks, and I've never noticed any "wandering" or feeling unstable with those tires (then again - they are runflats, so stiffer sidewalls).

You may find better stability after they accumulate a little wear.

Also - I was suspicious of the lug nut torque that the tire shop did when they installed my winter tires, and when I checked them, all were between 90-100 ft/lbs... I torqued all up to ~129. I am 99% sure it is only psychological, but it feels more stable since.

It’s always nice to check, but I’m 100% sure it’s psychological. There is either movement or there isn’t…and any movement wouldn’t last very long before the wheel came off. Good call checking, but this doesn’t have anything to do with your wandering issue.

Reactions: 804son
Went with 235/60/18 Wildpeak at trail (8.2inch tread width 29in diameter) 235/55/18 would have been ideal size at 8.7inch 28” diameter but are not XL rated. Would have been wider than Goodyear electric drive GT in 255/45/19(8.5inch)

Attachments

• 039DD0BC-F5CE-4C58-BE10-681152DE1717.jpeg
    039DD0BC-F5CE-4C58-BE10-681152DE1717.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 411
Reactions: TomB985 and Noflash
For those of you who went to 18s, are you noticing any improvement in ride? The only thing I really dislike about my MYLR is the suspension.
I have been using 235/55 R18 on my 2022 MY LR for snow tires over the last few months in Canada. Noticed a huge improvement in ride quality compared with the standard 255/45 R19 that came with the car. I am seriously considering and looking at options a change from 19 inch to 18 inch tires and rims for the summer (all weather) as well if I can find the right tires.

I have been using 235/55 R18 on my 2022 MY LR for snow tires over the last few months in Canada. Noticed a huge improvement in ride quality compared with the standard 255/45 R19 that came with the car. I am seriously considering and looking at options a change from 19 inch to 18 inch tires and rims for the summer (all weather) as well if I can find the right tires.
What tires and tire pressures are you running?

Went with 235/60/18 Wildpeak at trail (8.2inch tread width 29in diameter) 235/55/18 would have been ideal size at 8.7inch 28” diameter but are not XL rated. Would have been wider than Goodyear electric drive GT in 255/45/19(8.5inch)
Those look fabulous. Do you notice any difference in road noise with the Wildpeaks? Did you compare efficiency before/after?

I'm currently wearing through the initial set of 21" UTs tires, but they make little sense to me as smaller wheels seem better in almost every way. I love the Wildpeak look but do worry about increasing noise and/or needlessly decreasing efficiency vs a more standard 18" tire.

Those look fabulous. Do you notice any difference in road noise with the Wildpeaks? Did you compare efficiency before/after?

I'm currently wearing through the initial set of 21" UTs tires, but they make little sense to me as smaller wheels seem better in almost every way. I love the Wildpeak look but do worry about increasing noise and/or needlessly decreasing efficiency vs a more standard 18" tire.
Efficiency is hard to gauge. UT gets me around 290-330+wh/mi. Wildpeak is somewhere in the 275-320wh/mi range. Very similar and closer than I thought considering 235 tread size but more efficient. Crusing road noise is surprisingly similar on smooth roads. Maybe even a TINY bit more groan on the wildpeaks with the more aggressive tread. Wildpeaks do have a bit more noticeable groan while in sweeping corners and feel more wallowy in corners. on rougher roads with bumps and seams, the wildpeaks are MUCH better. I can take a lot more road imperfections without feeling the “ouch” and fear that I get with the UT. All around more practical with the trade off of being rather soft in corners. In fact, I’m taking a trip from MN to NY soon and I just swapped back to these wheels for my roadtrip. No sense to use up all the expensive Michelin tread or risk bending or scratching my uberturbines for a sporty ride if it’s all gonna be cruising at highway speeds anyway. And on the off chance I end up with a flat, I'll have a wheel and tire that’s less likely to be damaged and easier to find a replacement.

Last edited:
My super-skinny 225/65R18s that are mounted now are closer than factory. I'm reading 75 MPH on the speedo at a GPS-indicated 74. These chicken feet are a bit taller than the factory tires.
View attachment 887590
Old thread and post, but bumping it, I have a set of 225/60R18s winter tires with the proper 104 load range that are almost brand new from another vehicle that would work on my MY, but I'm looking for wheels. What wheel did you use for these 225/65/18s may I ask?

There's lots of 18X8,5" wheels for MYs, but my tires (General Altimax Arctics) like most 225 cross section treads, specify a wheel width of 6-8". Maybe 8.5" wide would work, but not sure people doing installs would want to put them on 8.5" wide wheels. I was wondering if your 225s were good on a wider wheel, or you just put them on 8.5s anyway, or you found 18x8" wheels?

Last edited:
Old thread and post, but bumping it, I have a set of 225/60R18s winter tires with the proper 104 load range that are almost brand new from another vehicle that would work on my MY, but I'm looking for wheels. What wheel did you use for these 225/65/18s may I ask?

There's lots of 18X8,5" wheels for MYs, but my tires (General Altimax Arctics) like most 225 cross section treads, specify a wheel width of 6-8". Maybe 8.5" wide would work, but not sure people doing installs would want to put them on 8.5" wide wheels. I was wondering if your 225s were good on a wider wheel, or you just put them on 8.5s anyway, or you found 18x8" wheels?
If you're looking for 18x8 wheels, TireRack has 16 listed. Discount Tires (I believe merged with TR) also has a lot more listed on their site (18x8 5x114). But DT doesn't list any as fitting my MYP.

As for using them on wider wheels than specification... dunno if there really is an issue or not. But I personally wouldn't, to avoid the possibility.

I also wouldn't put on 18" wheels on my MYP, but that's whatever.

Reactions: Farmer

Mine are mounted to the set of Enkei 18x7.5s that Tire Rack sold me with the winter tire package for my Model 3. I can’t say how they’d do on wider wheels, but it can’t be far off with 8.5s. You’d probably have the same problem OEM wheels/tires do with no curb protection, though.

Reactions: Farmer
I’m using a set of skinny 225/60R18 snow tires
Would you recommend this tire size? I'm looking to buy a set of winter tires with low noise rating, and I'm getting the best results for 225/60R18 tires. We don't get a lot of snow here in The Netherlands, so tires mostly need to handle rain and cold. Are you getting suffiecent grip and stability on dry and whet tarmac?

Would you recommend this tire size? I'm looking to buy a set of winter tires with low noise rating, and I'm getting the best results for 225/60R18 tires. We don't get a lot of snow here in The Netherlands, so tires mostly need to handle rain and cold. Are you getting suffiecent grip and stability on dry and whet tarmac?

I personally wouldn’t. Many 225/60/18 tires aren’t XL load rated and many cars that use 225/60/18 ie Subaru outback, rav4, equinox, etc can be 1000lbs lighter or more than our model Y. I’d go XL rated 245/55/18 255/55/18 or 235/60/18 235/55/18.

Reactions: David99

Yes, I would recommend them. They grip well in deep snow and don't seem to be wearing any faster than other sets of winter rubber that I've had. I think I have about 12,000 miles on them and still have 9/32nds tread all around.

I personally wouldn’t. Many 225/60/18 tires aren’t XL load rated and many cars that use 225/60/18 ie Subaru outback, rav4, equinox, etc can be 1000lbs lighter or more than our model Y. I’d go XL rated 245/55/18 255/55/18 or 235/60/18 235/55/18.
It's just fine. These tires were originally bought for my 2021 Outback, which spec'd 35/33 PSI in this size for its had a 4,800 lb GVWR. My Model Y has a 5,224 lb GVWR, which isn't that much heavier.

I run these tires at 45 PSI on my Y, and it does just fine. I've never been a conservative driver, and the car drives and handles well with this size. They certainly don't handle as well as the summer rubber on my Uberturbines, but very predictable and they corner like every other snow tire I've had.

Yes, I would recommend them. They grip well in deep snow and don't seem to be wearing any faster than other sets of winter rubber that I've had. I think I have about 12,000 miles on them and still have 9/32nds tread all around.
Thanks a lot! Do you have any experience on just dry or whet tarmac around freezing point or is deep snow pretty much a given in winter where you're from? Load isn't a problem indeed, the tires I'm after are rated 104, same as the originals.

Thanks a lot! Do you have any experience on just dry or whet tarmac around freezing point or is deep snow pretty much a given in winter where you're from? Load isn't a problem indeed, the tires I'm after are rated 104, same as the originals.

Yeah, most of my winter miles are on dry roads. We had record amounts of snow last winter, so there were a couple of weeks were things were difficult, but at least 70% of those miles were on bare pavement.

I couldn’t take corners quite like I do on my summer tires, but they didn’t behave any worse than the other winter tires I’ve had. I liked having the tall sidewalls for the potholes that formed at the end of last winter.

So how does it ride over rough roads? Looking to also go to 18 inch wheels but not sure if a tire like what you have is better or worse that let’s say a Michelin Pilot Sport all Season 4? The larger tire height provides more cushion but is also heavier. I’m coming from stock 19’s so I feel either would be an improvement but wondering what’s best. Also live in Boston now so your setup seems to be ideal for the snow and poor roads. Can you share your experience?

So how does it ride over rough roads? Looking to also go to 18 inch wheels but not sure if a tire like what you have is better or worse that let’s say a Michelin Pilot Sport all Season 4? The larger tire height provides more cushion but is also heavier. I’m coming from stock 19’s so I feel either would be an improvement but wondering what’s best. Also live in Boston now so your setup seems to be ideal for the snow and poor roads. Can you share your experience?
Compared to 21” all season 4 it has been much more comfortable. The car does roll a little but more and doesn’t feel as planted as uberturbines when pushing it in good weather. All roads seem to be more comfortable with these tires. Much softer to drive everywhere but maybe a touch louder when off center in long sweeping turns. Could be due to the all terrain tread. In places where I’d normally wince or be concerned about damage to the car driving over potholes, it has calmed a lot of my nerves by 75%. As far as long distance highway driving for myself, I have 30,000 miles on these tires and still have 7-8/32nd left on the tires all the way around. Nothing other than a service center alignment and rotations every 5000-7000 miles.