Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 months and nearly 27,000 miles later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR; it's been great, no actual issues, buy one. :)

We took delivery of a MYP at the end of March 2021. In the 18 months and some 27,000 miles, I would sum up the experience as near perfect.
We've had the following maintenance/service visits:
- Two replacement of rear spoiler under warranty...
- 1 set of rear tire replacement at roughly 24,000 miles, fronts were fine. No it's not a lot of miles, but if you've owned high performance cars, this shouldn't surprise you. If you are used to driving other cars with rock hard tires that lasts 80,000 miles, this is not that car or those tires.
- 1 replacement of the interior cabin filter roughly 1 year in as general maintenance. Filter actually didn't look terrible. I did NOT have weird smells in the AC. I often wonder if people that have it generally park the car outside? I am on the Gulf coast, so it's humid here.

ANNND that's it!

Did the car have some panels with variances in the gap tolerance, yes it did. But you know what? Go look at just about any other car on the market, including expensive ones, and I'll bet you a cheeseburger you'll find it too!

Did the car have some strange software glitches? Yes it did. Screen went blank once when we were on a road trip, a couple of reboots, it was fine. A couple of times, the rear view camera did not want to come on, after letting the car sleep for a while, it came back. Perhaps because my background is in software and I get that no matter how much QA you do, humans (and in this case probably hundreds of humans) wrote the code, there will be SOME glitches. Perhaps I am too nice... who knows, but these experience did not detract from the ownership experience. I think it's important to know that as cars are defined more and more by software, this will keep happening. I've had these sort of software glitches on cars that have heavy software based entertainment systems. Heck, even Carplay glitches.

No the paint isn't perfect, orange peel on the side view mirror covers for example, but did it take away from the ownership experience, not on bit.

Would I recommend a Model Y? Yes I would. But I would suggest most people stay away from the Performance unless you are used to stiff rides. Yes the MYP is stiff, but we are used to those kinds of rides and prefer it actually. So we are not the normal use case. I am surprised at how stiffly sprung and dampened they made it. For those on the forum now researching on the Model Y, I will just remind you that most of the time, people come to forums searching for answers to problems they are having. That's why many of the posts are about issues. But understand that people generally don't make posts like this one... hey all good today. So keep that in context and make your own judgement. I posting only because last week, we traded the MYP in for a MXP. Here's to hoping the MXP will be close to the experience, although I don't expect it as it is a much more complex cars and probably more things can break on the X, the Falcon Wing Doors for example.

My experience, almost exactly. April 21 build, 29K miles. No service visits. Yes, some orange peel in some areas. Panel gaps 90% good. After some sound deadening and a few personal cosmetic changes, the car has been flawless. Fingers crossed. I think when new owners pick up a Tesla, they are very careful to inspect the car more scrupulously than any other new car. I did the same, but it's funny, I never remember ever doing that with any of the other cars I've had.

Reactions: shingles
They keep getting better. VIN F522171 was delivered on Aug with ONE FLAW, a paint scratch that my PPF/Detailer took care of for free when he was doing my PPF.
NcKc2UZ.jpg

But then 5 days later with 500 miles on her, our MYP died in my garage and needed to be hauled away on a flatbed for all the neighbors to see.
JuGHxvJ.jpg

8 days later I got it back after a wiring harness was replaced.

Since then we just got back from a 19xx-mile road trip that was uneventful. Trip stats:
IbUDDdT.jpg

So we had some initial issues but so far she has been flawless. Now all I need to do is dump the 21" tires/wheels for some 18's, that happen's this Tuesday.

Reactions: warmwaffles
32k miles, MYLR, Dec 2020 build.

1) 3k miles, Intermittent AC. Tech discovered a loose wire connection behind the computer display. Took him 20 minutes. Fixed.
2) 9k miles: defective (noisy) steering wheel adjusting motor. Replaced.
3) 20k Cabin filters replaced. ($30? I don't remember)
4) 22 months: proactively replaced 12V battery,$113, installed (TX heat, I conveniently replace batteries on MY schedule, not the inconvenient battery's!)
4) Windshield wiper fluid

So...$143 maintenance cost in 32k miles. (I don't list tires, although the OEM 19" lasted 30k)

Reactions: Corndart
Just passed my 1-year anniversary and 42K miles on my white MYLR- no options. Had a few minor issues initially but a couple of service trips and it's been rock-solid on my 170mi daily commute. I just replaced my tires at 40K, which was more than I expected to get since half my commute is over a windy pass route, and then through some difficult construction zones. Got hit with a LOT of rocks in the last year, an awful experience but just a few chips so far. I'm hoping to get by without finding out the cost of a new windshield!
The car saved my life basically, making my drive low stress and almost automatic, using the cruise and speed controls where I can. Parked my Tundra and said goodby to $1500/mo. gas bills. Using about $14/day in electric @ .26/kWh. = $280/mo. New one should show up in Nov. from a March 2022 order date (really? 8mos?) Now I need to add another 2kWh of solar with 2 of these in the garage and 2 drivers. Hard to go back to an ICE car after this. Weird when I do take my Tundra out on occasion, seems like a dinosaur.

Reactions: Dennisis
Just passed my 1-year anniversary and 42K miles on my white MYLR- no options. Had a few minor issues initially but a couple of service trips and it's been rock-solid on my 170mi daily commute. I just replaced my tires at 40K, which was more than I expected to get since half my commute is over a windy pass route, and then through some difficult construction zones. Got hit with a LOT of rocks in the last year, an awful experience but just a few chips so far. I'm hoping to get by without finding out the cost of a new windshield!
The car saved my life basically, making my drive low stress and almost automatic, using the cruise and speed controls where I can. Parked my Tundra and said goodby to $1500/mo. gas bills. Using about $14/day in electric @ .26/kWh. = $280/mo. New one should show up in Nov. from a March 2022 order date (really? 8mos?) Now I need to add another 2kWh of solar with 2 of these in the garage and 2 drivers. Hard to go back to an ICE car after this. Weird when I do take my Tundra out on occasion, seems like a dinosaur.
That's great to hear. I have a Tundra as well (25k miles a year), and have a model Y and ID4 on order to replace the truck, hoping I don't miss the roominess of the truck

That's great to hear. I have a Tundra as well (25k miles a year), and have a model Y and ID4 on order to replace the truck, hoping I don't miss the roominess of the truck
As a building contractor I can't help but throw some tool bags in the back, even though I don't use them much! And the storage below the floor is pretty good too. I've dropped the rear seat and stuffed it with boxes of product, sinks etc. and was surprised at how much I was able to get in there. The sloping back on the hatch needs a lot of room though, I've had it not close a few times when I thought I had accounted for it.