Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” wheels looking to cancel order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its getting to the point were I’m looking to cancel my order for the car and look at other options. I placed my order for an original June delivery and still heard nothing going into September. I’m sure the car is great but the poor customer service and the large number of alternative cars coming to market I’m starting to look at other manufacturers. Tesla poor customer service will effect them going forward. What other company would take your money with false delivery dates and expect to keep you as a customer.

Has anyone else reviewed their order and can you recommend other cars and manufacturers that offer better customer service.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Tesla appear to lack any concept of customer service except as you would expect in sales. Quality of build is a continuous problem both assembly and care. They totally underestimated the problem of delivery of a huge number of orders and continuing demand. The indecisive displayed in their initial pricing and model offering wasn't even a joke...the lack of a proper website with a stocked UK store is a real problem and is a great predictor of what servicing/repair problems may follow. The slow roll out of superchargers throughout the UK is laughable and from all reports many need attention.
My particular problem is that I was asked to take delivery on August 21. I refused saying I did not want the vehicle unless it had a 69 registration - delivery said that they would therefore release the car through lack of storage but that it would be no problem as I would get a reallocation at the start of September. I had ordered an LR bu said I was willing to accept a P if that would help. No problem?
I heard nothing more but spoke with sales to ask for their help. I was rather arrogantly told that UK registration practice had absolutely no effect on the second hand value of a Tesla? Really!
I am tempted to get a Jaguar which is an outstanding drive, much higher quality, SC everywhere and a very similar price.
My other concerns reading US posts are the extortionate price and availability of parts etc for repairs you may need to pay for!

[QUOTE="Huggybear, post: 3956355, member: 108541

Has anyone else reviewed their order and can you recommend other cars and manufacturers that offer better customer service.[/QUOTE]

Tesla can get away with their appalling customer service and shambolic back office operation at the moment because they have the best EVs and no real competition in this segment. I have never experienced anything even remotely as bad as this. Yet you will still find plenty of people who will make excuses for them.

You will also find plenty of people, usually those who drink a bit too much Teslaliquor, who maintain that Tesla is so far ahead of the game that they will be no meaningful competition for years, maybe even a decade. Personally I think this pure cr@p. I’ll stick with my M3 order because I’m in no hurry. But will my next EV be a Tesla? I very much doubt it.

Reactions: RjbT3 and ChrisA70
its getting to the point were I’m looking to cancel my order for the car and look at other options. I placed my order for an original June delivery and still heard nothing going into September. I’m sure the car is great but the poor customer service and the large number of alternative cars coming to market I’m starting to look at other manufacturers. Tesla poor customer service will effect them going forward. What other company would take your money with false delivery dates and expect to keep you as a customer.

Has anyone else reviewed their order and can you recommend other cars and manufacturers that offer better customer service.
Did it have a hitch on it? I saw somewhere that these are being delayed right now.

You must remember that this is a new vehicle to market, I was in this exact same position when I ordered a Giulia over 3 years ago and ended up waiting 7 months for delivery. By the looks of it, initial demand has been high, RHD are always at the back of the queue and with the 3 coming across the pond is just adding more delays. All our cars will arrive and when they do I guarantee you will instantly forget about the wait and as for niggles with it, every car brand has these issues and they will get sorted, trust me, I have an Alfa!

Keep an eye on the VW ID range. The ID.3 (Golf equivalent) is due to officially launch Frankfurt Motor Show middle of September with deliveries starting first half next year hopefully. But there is a big queue already and I've not seen anything regarding other models in the range other than prototypes. Look a bit more futuristic than Tesla which are beginning to look a bit ordinary, imho and my local dealer couldn't have been more helpful even though until the launch, information is quite limited. I joined the queue as a plan B, nothing to lose.

I saw the ID Crozz in a showroom/museum in Berlin a couple of months ago. Looked OK in the flesh, that format doesn't float my boat though. Don't expect it'll seat 7 which is the only reason is want a car that size, or be anywhere near as fast as the 3.

20190706_130839.jpg

Edit: incidentally, I walked outside from that showroom and saw my first three Model 3s in the wild. Made my heart race a bit, nothing in that showroom came close to doing that.

Last edited:
My particular problem is that I was asked to take delivery on August 21. I refused saying I did not want the vehicle unless it had a 69 registration - delivery said that they would therefore release the car through lack of storage but that it would be no problem as I would get a reallocation at the start of September. I had ordered an LR bu said I was willing to accept a P if that would help. No problem?
I heard nothing more but spoke with sales to ask for their help. I was rather arrogantly told that UK registration practice had absolutely no effect on the second hand value of a Tesla? Really!

What you felt was arrogance was actually pretty good advice.

Nobody is going to buy a used Tesla based only on its registration date, anyone with any knowledge at all is going to ask when it was built not when it was registered.

Tesla has no model years so you need to know the build date to be sure what features or component versions it has.

We've seen that on the groups for years, I don't recall anyone on here talking about their '18 or '68 Tesla, it would be meaningless. To value a 2018 Model S you need to know if it was before or after the change to MCU2 for example. For 2019 you'll want to know if it is a 'Raven' or not... you don't get any of that from the reg date.

The same will be true of the 3's.

As for buying Jaguar instead, I was looking at the iPace originally and I'm glad I dodged that particular bullet. They do have the ability to deliver a better quality interior but they have made a mess of the software side of things sadly. But even a base model will cost you more than a loaded M3P and at that price you don't get the 'luxury' components that come with an even higher price tag.

Of course there will eventually be competition for Tesla from other brands, but it isn't really there yet and certainly not at the M3 price point...

Reactions: RjbT3
I’ve only just ordered in early August so haven’t developed any irritation with Tesla yet. However, one of the reasons for ordering a Model 3 was simply the lack of availability of any model of EV with similar range and safety features. The Hyundai and Kia are not taking orders at the moment. The Polestar 2 is taking preorders but it looks like the middle of next year before it’s delivered. The VW ID3 will be available sometime next year too. While the first 2 are on the road and can be seen, it’s hard to judge what the other 2 will be like. The VW looks a bit boring and the Polestar looks really good with a quality interior. Without proper road testing and availability of cars to feel ‘in the flesh’ they’re both ‘jam tomorrow’. The Jaguar has a superb interior but is way outside my price range and the driving range is too low in my opinion. It looks like my Model 3 will be delivered before end of September as Tesla tries to finish this quarter strongly.
Optimistically
Dickybeau

Reactions: Palros and RjbT3

I was in a similar position but got my SR+ 19 last week and boy was it worth the wait. Tesla communication is crap but the product is phenomenal please please just wait.

Yes the wait and terrible communication is really annoying.
I wish they would hire a call centre company just to answer the phone and politely tell us they can't give us on update, but it won't really help. Since you asked them for a '69 plate it seems reasonable they have slipped you into Q3

Ironically I was hoping for a '19 plate and have just slipped into a '69 with 5th September delivery
Something "Benny Hill" about the number puts me off, but I'll get used to it.

Really sadly there is currently no competition, and won't be for some time.
The VW ID looks promising, but volume production is years away and would you trust the range numbers from the creators of Dieselgate ?
The Audi eTron and

I test drove the New Leaf and the iPace.

The Leaf is a seriously good car, but I have a 100 mile commute so the range on a cold winter night with a diversion might get tight.
The Nissan dealer was great, very knowledgeable about EV's. If you don't need the range or superchargers it's a very good option.

The iPace is typical Jaguar. Traditional, complex to use, trying very hard to impress, JLR spend a lot advertising with the motoring press so it gets great reviews. However it's an electrified ePace which is £25000 cheaper, so just terrible value for money and given JLR history of poor reliability (My wife's 2 year old Disco Sport is often in for repair) I would not trust JLR to make a reliable EV first time.
The dealer had very little idea about EV's, I expect the service mechanics will be the same.

The only other really impressive EV available now is the Taxi https://www.levc.com/tx-electric-taxi/ , but it's a brave choice as a private vehicle.

Also think the extra tech in the TM3 is easily worth the cost. It's a great value car for emissions, range and technology, but agreed does not have the thick leather and Five Star customer service which would cost another 10K, and that's not the market Tesla aimed the TM3 at.

Reactions: Roy W.
I am having a serious wobble. If (big IF) I get a call Monday morning saying I can collect Monday afternoon I'm going to refuse. I'm travelling on business next week anyway and am going to talk the decision over with my boss. He is fairly impartial in all this, lives in California, familiar with EVs but views them as just another car without the "obsession" attached to many of us on this forum. It is fair to say I have become obsessed with getting this car (it's also partly the transition to EVs in general). So it is tougher than the usual SUV/Saloon/Sport/Brand decision.

I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed with a purchase experience in my entire life. Whilst there is no doubt I would love the car this experience has filled me with dread. The main issue being the attitude of Tesla UK staff through the entire process peaking with my experience with the guy on the front desk in Birmingham, who couldn't have cared any less. The only other staff member who spoke to me was the finance paperwork guy. Nobody called after I left, despite the promises, no emails and no calls from the main delivery team. Nothing again today until I contacted the Delivery Manager for UK North and Ireland who was the chance contact I made when I decided to ditch my original spec. She's a beacon amongst an otherwise careless Tesla UK culture and Birmingham isn't even her area.

Mine is not a one-off issue. This is symptomatic of Tesla UK and runs throughout the organisation. When things go well they are all fluffy and nice, when things go wrong or are difficult they all hide. When you get hold of them they lie, make stuff up and fob you off. One thing is for sure, something will go wrong with the car at some point and I cannot deal with the thought that this will be what I'm up against. A bunch of people who don't know what they are doing, working for a business which has no structure, systems or customer service to deal with customers with issues. What if I back into a post, get shoved into a verge, write of wheels in a pothole, get hit in a car park or worse? I'll be up against this all over again. Without a car and without any kind of communication, concern, urgency, customer care for weeks or months.

No doubting it is a truly great product, but the great part of Tesla just isn't here in the UK yet. I consider myself an early adopter, but I'm not into this kind of masochistic decision making. Once bitten, twice shy, this could be a blessing. In the lifecycle of a car a couple of years is nothing and by then Tesla may have arrived in the UK properly, the Y will be about and there will be other EVs around.

My plan is to refuse delivery next week for two weeks (super busy the week I get back anyway) and if they give my car to someone else, they will make the decision for me. If not, and I still feel the same once my blood cools I will ask for my £9k back, leave the £2k in as a deposit and revert to my original spec and order. The order will no doubt take months to match to a car with 19" Sport wheels and I'll have more time to think before I finally pull the trigger to cancel. I'll be watching pricing at the same time. One of the main reasons I was so keen on the Model 3 early adoption was the thought the reservation system would help avoid all this inevitable mayhem, but it hasn't made any difference either.

How they handle the whole process in the coming weeks will be the kicker for me. I know the car is fabulous, but I can't abide in dealing with people who couldn't care less about customers, let alone some general courtesy to fellow human beings. Perhaps I may even get an apology. I'm not expecting BMW or Mercedes customer service here either, just the crappy usual dealership customer service will do. At least they apologise when things go wrong, offer some kind of assistance, reply to emails, pick up the phone or talk to you when you walk in.

Last edited:
I am having a serious wobble. If (big IF) I get a call Monday morning saying I can collect Monday afternoon I'm going to refuse. I'm travelling on business next week anyway and am going to talk the decision over with my boss. He is fairly impartial in all this, lives in California, familiar with EVs but views them as just another car without the "obsession" attached to many of us on this forum. It is fair to say I have become obsessed with getting this car (it's also partly the transition to EVs in general). So it is tougher than the usual SUV/Saloon/Sport/Brand decision.

I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed with a purchase experience in my entire life. Whilst there is no doubt I would love the car this experience has filled me with dread. The main issue being the attitude of Tesla UK staff through the entire process peaking with my experience with the guy on the front desk in Birmingham, who couldn't have cared any less. The only other staff member who spoke to me was the finance paperwork guy. Nobody called after I left, despite the promises, no emails and no calls from the main delivery team. Nothing again today until I contacted the Delivery Manager for UK North and Ireland who was the chance contact I made when I decided to ditch my original spec. She's a beacon amongst an otherwise careless Tesla UK culture and Birmingham isn't even her area.

Mine is not a one-off issue. This is symptomatic of Tesla UK and runs throughout the organisation. When things go well they are all fluffy and nice, when things go wrong or are difficult they all hide. When you get hold of them they lie, make stuff up and fob you off. One thing is for sure, something will go wrong with the car at some point and I cannot deal with the thought that this will be what I'm up against. A bunch of people who don't know what they are doing, working for a business which has no structure, systems or customer service to deal with customers with issues. What if I back into a post, get shoved into a verge, write of wheels in a pothole, get hit in a car park or worse? I'll be up against this all over again. Without a car and without any kind of communication, concern, urgency, customer care for weeks or months.

No doubting it is a truly great product, but the great part of Tesla just isn't here in the UK yet. I consider myself an early adopter, but I'm not into this kind of masochistic decision making. Once bitten, twice shy, this could be a blessing. In the lifecycle of a car a couple of years is nothing and by then Tesla may have arrived in the UK properly, the Y will be about and there will be other EVs around.

My plan is to refuse delivery next week for two weeks (super busy the week I get back anyway) and if they give my car to someone else, they will make the decision for me. If not, and I still feel the same once my blood cools I will ask for my £9k back, leave the £2k in as a deposit and revert to my original spec and order. The order will no doubt take months to match to a car with 19" Sport wheels and I'll have more time to think before I finally pull the trigger to cancel. I'll be watching pricing at the same time. One of the main reasons I was so keen on the Model 3 early adoption was the thought the reservation system would help avoid all this inevitable mayhem, but it hasn't made any difference either.

How they handle the whole process in the coming weeks will be the kicker for me. I know the car is fabulous, but I can't abide in dealing with people who couldn't care less about customers, let alone some general courtesy to fellow human beings. Perhaps I may even get an apology. I'm not expecting BMW or Mercedes customer service here either, just the crappy usual dealership customer service will do. At least they apologise when things go wrong, offer some kind of assistance, reply to emails, pick up the phone or talk to you when you walk in.
I read your earlier post on another thread about your experiences so I totally understand why you've written this now. I have to admit to feeling much the same, if not quite so extreme. I'm totally sold on the car, but totally freaked out by the support structure. If they don't sort their *sugar* out before one of the established brands launches a half decent competitor, then they'll be toast (and our cars will tank in value).

However, in the closing months of 2019, the car itself is still the best EV in its class by a long way.

Common issue with Tesla. They don't want to deal with customers that constantly change their orders, want to chit chat or need hand holding. Are trying to be as efficient as possible, which often means going radio silent after getting the order. Will not pop up again until all is ready for delivery. Then they will contact you to arrange financing and delivery.

Kind of like dad being driven crazy by the kids sitting in the back seat, constantly asking "are we here yet" Tesla's answer is often just like Dad..."soon"

They have a huge backlog of orders in many countries, and if you cannot accept delivery when your car get here, they will often just offer it to the next person waiting anxiously in line.

This is often the case for products that are in very high demand, and with limited supply.

I waited 1 1/2 years for my first Model X. Got the typical forum induced anxiety by reading all the negative posts. Had some trepidation when I accepted delivery, but honestly that car has changed my life. It is such a different driving experience compared to the douzens of cars I previously owned.

For those that have the capability to stay the course, it can be life altering.

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3 and Fullerene
They don't want to deal with customers that constantly change their orders, want to chit chat or need hand holding.

I feel this is projecting the blame. The questions people with orders have are in response to misleading completion estimates, changing vehicle options and prices, unresponsive staff around order completion dates and a purposeful lack of phone numbers and email addresses that customers may contact.

Customers resort to public forums to get their questions answered by other members of the public. What kind of business are we buying in to? It seems the GiffGaff of car manufactures.

Reactions: RjbT3 and tsh2

I would be cautious changing your order now as they may increase the price on you and a good chance they won't let you order the 19s again

I hope you get sorted soon and are happy.Good luck.