Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! It's fast paced in the world of Model Y configuration :D, changes every few weeks to keep us on our toes!

Echoing other users thoughts of the induction wheels complimenting the chrome delete on the Y. For an additional $2600 Cdn though, I need to weigh function vs aesthetics. Question:
  • Will 20" Induction wheels decease range vs. the 19" Gemini wheels?
  • Will 20" induction wheels be less safe during winter weather vs the 19" Gemini wheels?
Don't know if I can justify paying money to lose safety, traction, and range for aesthetically pleasing wheels. Though the devil on my shoulder has a strong argument that they look on point with the red paint :cool:

Thoughts? Someone want to be the angel on my shoulder? ;)

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
I’ll be another devil on your shoulder: go for the induction LOL.

In all seriousness (I’m not far from you in Toronto), I would likely get a set of actual winter wheels + tires for winter driving regardless of if I got the 19’s or 20’s on the Y.

In terms of potential range loss with a slightly larger or less aerodynamic wheel - it might be a few % and I wouldn’t let that deter me from something I find more aesthetically pleasing. In terms of driving in general and safety, both are likely using the same type of all season tire. I guess one could make the argument for larger wheels being more prone to damage in areas with poor road conditions (potholes and such).

I’m torn myself as well. We ordered a Y with the base 18” aeros (I really like that dark look they have with the chrome delete / dark trim on the Y. Really don’t like the 19” Gemini that our order was updated to. I think I’m going to wait a bit to see what info comes out re tire sizes (how they compare to the 3) and what we may see for winter tire options.

You live in Toronto. Potholes in the north are a real thing. Low profile tires don't like potholes, trust me. I have fallen victim to low profile tires too many times in my life. On a standard car it stinks when you blow out a tire. You have to replace it with your spare. In a Tesla, it double stinks because there is no spare.

I would go with the 19's and see how it is in the snow for you. My guess is it will be okay. I have 19's on my Model S AWD and it is just fine in the snow. But the Model Y might be lighter and yield a different experience.

Plus range is already challenged in the north. Stick with the 19's IMHO.

The engineer inside of me is hoping Tesla has taken the lessons learned from the Aero wheel covers and managed to create an alloy wheel (20" Induction) that has a similar aerodynamic efficiency profile. I think if the wheels have a serious impact on the cars' range then it would be annotated on the wheel selection page. Personally, I vote for the 20" Induction wheels because they simply look more appropriate for a 60k vehicle and they look more proportionate with the larger size of the MY.

Reactions: rklip
The engineer inside of me is hoping Tesla has taken the lessons learned from the Aero wheel covers and managed to create an alloy wheel (20" Induction) that has a similar aerodynamic efficiency profile. I think if the wheels have a serious impact on the cars' range then it would be annotated on the wheel selection page. Personally, I vote for the 20" Induction wheels because they simply look more appropriate for a 60k vehicle and they look more proportionate with the larger size of the MY.

If I lived in the south, I would agree 100%. Anyone north has to weigh the pros and cons of low profiles getting blown out. Just another reason I want to retire in the south! Not to mention the range loss in the cold too now that I think about it!

Oh, and Illinois sucks on so many levels.

Wow! It's fast paced in the world of Model Y configuration :D, changes every few weeks to keep us on our toes!

Echoing other users thoughts of the induction wheels complimenting the chrome delete on the Y. For an additional $2600 Cdn though, I need to weigh function vs aesthetics. Question:
  • Will 20" Induction wheels decease range vs. the 19" Gemini wheels?
  • Will 20" induction wheels be less safe during winter weather vs the 19" Gemini wheels?
Don't know if I can justify paying money to lose safety, traction, and range for aesthetically pleasing wheels. Though the devil on my shoulder has a strong argument that they look on point with the red paint :cool:

Thoughts? Someone want to be the angel on my shoulder? ;)
I had the upgraded rims on my original pre order and with this change I now have the 20" induction rims. In my case (In Ontario) I always planned on ordering a second set of rims and snow tires to gain extra traction. If going with the Induction (20") rims, I would recommend the same. TBH, if it snows where you are, I would do it regardless of rims purchased.

Reactions: Joey_82
This was a from a different thread I had started on the same subject....of course this referenced the 18/20 options that are not the case anymore. For those with low profile concertns, the sidewall measurement is the important part.

From posts by Tsportline and some pictures people have taken of the prototypes, the Model Y's 19-inch wheels are 255/45, so that nets you around 114mm of sidewall.
The 18's are supposedly 255/50 with around 127mm of sidewall.
The 20's are 255/40 with 102mm of sidewall.

Do note that the Model 3's 235/45 aero wheels have around 105mm of sidewall.

I don't think the 20" rims will use too low of a profile tire so as to risk excess rim damage.
I have the 19" sport rims on my model 3 in Boston suburbs and have hit some pretty rough pavement without issue. Most of the rim issues I've heard about are with the 20" performance rims.

I'm assuming the model Y will have larger diameter tires so the 19" will be similar sidewall to the 18" on model 3 and the 20" will be similar to 19" sports on model 3.

I would only be worried about the 21" uberturbines on the performance model Y.

You live in Toronto. Potholes in the north are a real thing. Low profile tires don't like potholes, trust me. I have fallen victim to low profile tires too many times in my life. On a standard car it stinks when you blow out a tire. You have to replace it with your spare. In a Tesla, it double stinks because there is no spare.

I would go with the 19's and see how it is in the snow for you. My guess is it will be okay. I have 19's on my Model S AWD and it is just fine in the snow. But the Model Y might be lighter and yield a different experience.

Plus range is already challenged in the north. Stick with the 19's IMHO.

Thanks for all the insight folks!

Potholes were an eyeopener. Jeezus, I need to watch out for those with upgraded wheels? Living downtown they are sure a real thing. They're so notorious that people transform them into impromptu community gardens o_O

I guess I shall bite the bullet and flick the devil off my shoulder. I'll stick with the 19" for now...I also realized that since I was an early adopter with the cheaper pricing, to switch the wheels now would be a Cdn $5290 price difference. With that price difference I can buy all the wheel options and play with them aftermarket :rolleyes:

Anyone know if you can speak to a rep when they call you to finalize your car instead of editing online? I'd like to keep my existing savings, but retain the possibility of upgrading my wheels :p. But I guess we're all also assuming that our deposits mean locked-in pricing and that could not be a thing :oops:. I hope not...

Thanks for all the insight folks!

Potholes were an eyeopener. Jeezus, I need to watch out for those with upgraded wheels? Living downtown they are sure a real thing. They're so notorious that people transform them into impromptu community gardens o_O

I guess I shall bite the bullet and flick the devil off my shoulder. I'll stick with the 19" for now...I also realized that since I was an early adopter with the cheaper pricing, to switch the wheels now would be a Cdn $5290 price difference. With that price difference I can buy all the wheel options and play with them aftermarket :rolleyes:

Anyone know if you can speak to a rep when they call you to finalize your car instead of editing online? I'd like to keep my existing savings, but retain the possibility of upgrading my wheels :p. But I guess we're all also assuming that our deposits mean locked-in pricing and that could not be a thing :oops:. I hope not...

FWIW - I was speaking with a sales rep last night from one of the show rooms - we were texting about the changes and new wheels, and he said when we get closer to these orders going into production they might be able to edit the wheel choice without changing the whole order/pricing. Who knows for sure though.

Btw - how did you end up with a $5290 difference? I imagine that's from pricing with the current online options? If so $1390 of that is those delivery charges and such, and $2600 would be the wheels, so $1300 remaining. I ask as I'm in a similar situation (early order from last March and in Canada).

• Informative
Reactions: Ravenous21
FWIW - I was speaking with a sales rep last night from one of the show rooms - we were texting about the changes and new wheels, and he said when we get closer to these orders going into production they might be able to edit the wheel choice without changing the whole order/pricing. Who knows for sure though.

Btw - how did you end up with a $5290 difference? I imagine that's from pricing with the current online options? If so $1390 of that is those delivery charges and such, and $2600 would be the wheels, so $1300 remaining. I ask as I'm in a similar situation (early order from last March and in Canada).

Hmmmz...Good question...let me see...
  • Ordered Day 1: $84,200 Cdn
    • Model Y
    • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
    • Red Multi-Coat Paint
    • 18" Aero Wheels
    • Black and White Premium Interior
    • Five Seat Interior
    • Autopilot
    • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Order edited Aug: $82,800 Cdn
    • Same specs as original, I just clicked edit design and update design
    • This was the time when they changed the base colour options, made Autopilot standard and grouped everything into the umbrella of Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Rumors say by doing this you might get pushed to the back of the line? Who knows...I'll wait longer if I can save some $$$ :p...My reservation number didn't change...hopefully that's a good sign?
  • Today: IF I edit my design: $88,090 Cdn
    • Same specs as original
    • With 20" Induction Wheels
    • If I don't make any changes, my original spec'd design is currently listed for $85,490 Cdn
  • Doing the math: 88,090-82,800 = $5,290
    • Can't edit my order anymore with those savings!
Soo...I guess I'm stuck with the 19" Wheel by default. Though you talking with the Tesla sales rep gives me some hope! Thanks for keeping the devil alive o_O

Cheers!

Reactions: Joey_82
This was a from a different thread I had started on the same subject....of course this referenced the 18/20 options that are not the case anymore. For those with low profile concertns, the sidewall measurement is the important part.

From posts by Tsportline and some pictures people have taken of the prototypes, the Model Y's 19-inch wheels are 255/45, so that nets you around 114mm of sidewall.
The 18's are supposedly 255/50 with around 127mm of sidewall.
The 20's are 255/40 with 102mm of sidewall.

Do note that the Model 3's 235/45 aero wheels have around 105mm of sidewall.

The larger wheel size would be an issue if the tires aren’t too low profile.

Hmmmz...Good question...let me see...
  • Ordered Day 1: $84,200 Cdn
    • Model Y
    • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
    • Red Multi-Coat Paint
    • 18" Aero Wheels
    • Black and White Premium Interior
    • Five Seat Interior
    • Autopilot
    • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Order edited Aug: $82,800 Cdn
    • Same specs as original, I just clicked edit design and update design
    • This was the time when they changed the base colour options, made Autopilot standard and grouped everything into the umbrella of Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Rumors say by doing this you might get pushed to the back of the line? Who knows...I'll wait longer if I can save some $$$ :p...My reservation number didn't change...hopefully that's a good sign?
  • Today: IF I edit my design: $88,090 Cdn
    • Same specs as original
    • With 20" Induction Wheels
    • If I don't make any changes, my original spec'd design is currently listed for $85,490 Cdn
  • Doing the math: 88,090-82,800 = $5,290
    • Can't edit my order anymore with those savings!
Soo...I guess I'm stuck with the 19" Wheel by default. Though you talking with the Tesla sales rep gives me some hope! Thanks for keeping the devil alive o_O

Cheers!

Ahh I see it all.

Just as an FYI - the 88090 price when configuring online includes delivery fees and AC tax of $1390 (which is not included/showing in our current order prices) like your current 82800.

If you remove that, the actual order price when doing it currently would be 86700. At this point its a $3900 increase for your order, of which $1300 is attributed to the increased FSD (from 7900 when we ordered to the 9200 it currently is) and that leaves $2600 for the new wheels.

I'm in the same boat in terms of price difference. If I want to go edit and add the $2600 wheels, it'll also cost me a $1300 increase on FSD. Then I start to think that instead of increasing my order by $3900, I could put that toward buying the 20" induction afterwards and keeping the 19" gemini for future winter use. Probably best to wait and see how it plays out a bit before making any changes.