Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini vs 20" Induction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to purchase a LR AWD Model Y once the new center consoles start becoming a little more prevalent. I test drove a LR Y recently and it had the 19" Gemini Wheels. Although I loved how smooth the ride quality was I personally think they're hideous. I would probably go for the 20" Induction Wheels purely for aesthetics but I was wondering if there are any owners who regret their wheel choice, and for what reasons? Impacts on range, ride quality, etc.?

Reactions: VikH
I recently watched a video where someone suggested to buy the Y without any wheel upgrades and buy the Inductions after the fact with the reasoning being that for a little bit more money you get both the induction wheels and the gemini’s. If you buy the upgrade when you get the car, you only get one set of wheels. Then you can sell the gemini’s or keep them for a set of winter tires or something. Just a thought to think about.

• Helpful
Reactions: joeyjackson
I recently watched a video where someone suggested to buy the Y without any wheel upgrades and buy the Inductions after the fact with the reasoning being that for a little bit more money you get both the induction wheels and the gemini’s. If you buy the upgrade when you get the car, you only get one set of wheels. Then you can sell the gemini’s or keep them for a set of winter tires or something. Just a thought to think about.

Just curious, how much do the "20 cost when bought separately? On the tesla shop, the *winter* 20" wheel set is $4,500, which is much higher than the $2,000 extra you need to pay when ordering the car. I don't think it's explained by winter tires being more expensive than summer ones, at least not to the extent of being more than twice as expensive

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Get the best of both worlds. Buy the standard tires and then buy aftermarket 19" Do you ever go to the snow? Keep the originals with a good set of snow tires and put your normal tires on the aftermarket.

TSportline Model Y Rims/Tires

A bit more complex here in Switzerland, since TSportline doesn't exist :) and in general the market is much smaller. Hence I'm thinking of how much would I really lose by buying upfront the 20" for summer, and a 19" for winter - winter tires are really needed here.

Get the geminis and powder coat them black for $400 and save $1600. Can’t tell the difference when the wheel is spinning lol
Just got mine back from the powdercoater yesterday :) Now I need to do something with the calipers though, lol

Attachments

• 20210323_172836.jpg
    20210323_172836.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 2,350
  • 20210323_162101.jpg
    20210323_162101.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 1,965
The lighting is weird in the shop. They are matte black and a pretty close match to the door handles. Ill try to get a better picture this afternoon.

Thanks...I really like the induction wheels but I am thinking I would be better off with the geminis for the larger sidewall and greater range.

Does anyone know if there is a range difference between the geminis with the covers off and the inductions? Can you still put the covers on without damaging the powdercoating?

Get the best of both worlds. Buy the standard tires and then buy aftermarket 19" Do you ever go to the snow? Keep the originals with a good set of snow tires and put your normal tires on the aftermarket.

TSportline Model Y Rims/Tires

Agreed! That's my plan. No sense in being stuck with the 20s if you live in a place where they could possibly get damaged in the winter months.

Thanks...I really like the induction wheels but I am thinking I would be better off with the geminis for the larger sidewall and greater range.

Does anyone know if there is a range difference between the geminis with the covers off and the inductions? Can you still put the covers on without damaging the powdercoating?
I can't speak for the range difference because I threw my covers in a closet the day mine was delivered, but while powdercoating is tougher than paint I think the covers will still do some damage over time.