Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 inch vs 20 inch wheels ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
245/50?? I was running 235/60 in the winter and 245/55/18 in the summer why only 50?
Out of the three, 245/50/18 is closest to stock overall diameter of 28.03".

245/50/18 is 98.6% of stock overall diameter.

245/55/18 is 102% of stock diameter.

235/60/18 is 103.8% of stock diameter, so you're going a smidge faster than what the speedometer shows.

If it were me, I'd go with either 245/50/18 or 245/55/18 as long as they have 104 load rating.

Out of the three, 245/50/18 is closest to stock overall diameter of 28.03".

245/50/18 is 98.6% of stock overall diameter.

245/55/18 is 102% of stock diameter.

235/60/18 is 103.8% of stock diameter, so you're going a smidge faster than what the speedometer shows.

If it were me, I'd go with either 245/50/18 or 245/55/18 as long as they have 104 load rating.
ive run 235/55/18 as well .. but then i realized who cares if it matches the stock diameter?

im not even sure that the speedo does not adjust automatically because when i use GPS it seems right on with the 60 ratio tires.. maybe the speedo is off when on stock diameter though i actually never checked that

Last edited:
So I keep researching on how to improve ride quality, I feel the suspension or ride quality on the 2023 Model Y is still pretty bumpy. I come from Model S Plaid and on occasion drive our Model Y. We currently have 20 inch Inductions which I love the look of just hate the ride quality.

I keep thinking 19inch is likely the answer I am looking for, but it requires some capital to figure that out and backing out of that decision is not the easiest.

Is there any way to make the 20in ride quality as smooth as 19inch?
I read some threads about people saying go 270 on the 20inch and that makes little more smooth, does that make it more smooth than going for 19s?
What type of ride quality do you have in your 2023 model Y? I feel like I got stuck with inductions cause I ordered the inventory stock car to get a car much faster. I think though I would like the 19s better. I don't care about looks too much just want comfortable ride.

What would you suggest?
I have one friend offering to sell some Forged 19inch wheels but I also can't back out of that if I don't like it, so trying to gather some more information.
for the money you might spend to get 18" wheels (and tires) on your MYLR, that money would be better spent on suspension.
for me, that cost was $400 for a full set of used (but new) M3 18" Aero wheels, $850 for tires, $350 for wheel sensors.

suspension is the root cause of the issues, and while the wheelbase is a limiting factor, suspension is still the better place to put your money.
especially if you're finding the 2023 'comfort' setup still too bumpy, then suspension changes are your best option.

improvement can be had with 18" wheels and slightly larger diameter tires than stock (for more sidewall cushioning) but it's a subtle improvement.
find someone with 18" wheels on a 2023 MYLR and take a demo ride.
then, find someone who has done suspension changes on their MY (it can be any model Y variant; the chassis is the same for all)
take a demo ride.

the primary thing to note about all the aftermarket suspension offerings is that they seem (except one) to be predicated on lowering the ride height.
if you're good with that, then all will work fine and it becomes a question of feature sets and price.
if you're not, and you want/need to maintain the stock ride height (and preserve the option of larger tires for the sidewall), then there's just one option - the most expensive.

for the money you might spend to get 18" wheels (and tires) on your MYLR, that money would be better spent on suspension.
for me, that cost was $400 for a full set of used (but new) M3 18" Aero wheels, $850 for tires, $350 for wheel sensors.

suspension is the root cause of the issues, and while the wheelbase is a limiting factor, suspension is still the better place to put your money.
especially if you're finding the 2023 'comfort' setup still too bumpy, then suspension changes are your best option.

improvement can be had with 18" wheels and slightly larger diameter tires than stock (for more sidewall cushioning) but it's a subtle improvement.
find someone with 18" wheels on a 2023 MYLR and take a demo ride.
then, find someone who has done suspension changes on their MY (it can be any model Y variant; the chassis is the same for all)
take a demo ride.

the primary thing to note about all the aftermarket suspension offerings is that they seem (except one) to be predicated on lowering the ride height.
if you're good with that, then all will work fine and it becomes a question of feature sets and price.
if you're not, and you want/need to maintain the stock ride height (and preserve the option of larger tires for the sidewall), then there's just one option - the most expensive.
i sold my 19's for $500 (so actually made money on the wheels).. i did it after my stock tires were shot... you need tires anyway and 18's are generally cheaper than 19's... i moved the wheel sensors... so in the long run i justified (to myself) that it saves money to go to 18's and i get a softer more forgiving ride in snow and offroad

i plan on doing suspension upgrades but hated throwing away perfectly good suspension (debatable) components so i figured i'd wait on that

sure the 18's dont corner as well as 19's or 20's but i bought the LR its a fast prius in my book not a porsche

I have 2-2023 MYLR's one with 19’’ Gemini Wheels (Freemont Built) and the other with 20’’ Induction Wheels (Austin Built). Both have tires aired up to 42 PSI from delivery. I can't feel any noticeable difference in ride quality.

i sold my 19's for $500 (so actually made money on the wheels).. i did it after my stock tires were shot... you need tires anyway and 18's are generally cheaper than 19's... i moved the wheel sensors... so in the long run i justified (to myself) that it saves money to go to 18's and i get a softer more forgiving ride in snow and offroad

i plan on doing suspension upgrades but hated throwing away perfectly good suspension (debatable) components so i figured i'd wait on that

sure the 18's dont corner as well as 19's or 20's but i bought the LR its a fast prius in my book not a porsche
there's nothing wrong with going to 18s and I have both 18s and 19s for my MYLR.
I use the 18s for some minor offroad activities that I wouldn't trust the OEM tires to. And it's difficult (very) to find 19" offroads...
So I just swap them when needed. Takes 45 minutes.

the 18's are taller, and more importantly add sidewall, which does add some cushion to the ride.
but the minor difference in handling characteristics wouldn't be noticed much outside track use.

changes to suspension will require more understanding and research into what and why.
take your time.

I disagree that going from 20s to 18 is a subtle difference. It’s a pretty substantial difference it’s a much softer more comfortable ride. What bothered the crap out of me is on 20s everything we hit bumps everything in the car shakes and now it’s just way more absorbed and minimal shaking resulting in less loose plastic clanks from the trunk. For now the 18s are good for us if we wish to keep refining would consider suspension. What suspension brand are you advising for? I have looked at unplugged mpp and Ohlins. But it’s also wife’s car and if she is happy I am happy

Reactions: gt2690b
i was just giving you a hard time... humor is lost on message board
No problem.. Got it. My feelings weren't hurt.

So let me brag a little. In the last 5 months I bought 4 new cars, 1 new truck, flipped 2 and kept 3 of them.

In November I bought a new 23 Nissan Leaf SV Plus and flipped it 3 weeks later once the first Tesla order was scheduled for delivery, Then in December I took delivery of a new 2022 F350 Platinum ordered 13 months prior and traded it 3 weeks later for $5k more than I paid for it for a 2022 F450 King Ranch $10,000 under sticker. The King Ranch 450 was ordered a year ago. Then Mid December bought the 23 Gray Model Y and then in March bought the 23 White Model Y. All paid for. I claimed the full $7500 tax credit, in 2015. 2018, 2019, 2020 2022 and will again on 2023 taxes.

So far since 1970 I bought 66 new cars and trucks, 3 RVs, 3 airplanes, 8 houses and I was able to stay married to one wonderful understanding wife. I'm down to 2 houses, 2 Teslas, One Super Duty Diesel Truck one 5th Wheel RV, one wife, one Parrot and 2 dogs.

Flame away.

• Funny
Reactions: St3phen and gt2690b