Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 21" Wheels Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they'd had turbine 19's or maybe even 20's, I'd have gotten those. My 21s are pretty, but I've beaten the holy crap out of them on curbs. I put on alloy gators and even those are looking beat up. Never had so much trouble with any previous car and curb rash, but they're very exposed and it's a wide car, much wider than I'm used to.

So I have read all the posts on the 19 vs 21's and would like to hear from those who have the 21's on how they feel the ride is on less than smooth pavement. I currently have the 19's and although they are very nice riding I cannot get out of my head how beautiful the 21's look. I made the practical choice when ordering and if I was 30 years younger wonder if I would have went with the not so practical choice. So now I am giving serious thoughts of buying someone's 21's that they do not want. Will I really notice the difference in ride quality, the Model S I drove on my first test drive had the 21's and felt pretty good.

oh, hang it! I love the look of the 21's. i have Maserati, it drives stiff also. Its a performance car, isn't it? Go for twenty-ones.

On my test drives I was really impressed with how the 21's rode. I don't think the ride was harsh at all, just firm and controlled. To me, the biggest difference is that the 21's produce more road noise. The TCO will be higher because 21's may wear quicker, are more expensive to replace, and there are significantly fewer options for tires in that size. 21's do look HOT.

I had originally ordered the 19s because I've what I've read here. My priority was to prevent the expense of replacing them so often and avoid what's been called a stiffer and louder ride and to save the $4,500 the upgrade would cost. Because I ended up buying a loaner, it came with 21s and I've got to say I really like them. They are certainly not rough or loud in my opinion and they do look really good. I think it will take a bit of practice to avoid rashing but I plan on being gentle with her for a while anyway.

I had originally ordered the 19s because I've what I've read here. My priority was to prevent the expense of replacing them so often and avoid what's been called a stiffer and louder ride and to save the $4,500 the upgrade would cost. Because I ended up buying a loaner, it came with 21s and I've got to say I really like them. They are certainly not rough or loud in my opinion and they do look really good. I think it will take a bit of practice to avoid rashing but I plan on being gentle with her for a while anyway.

Congrats on your new baby. In between driving and grinning, remember to tell us how it's going.

Did you post some pics? Let's see that beauty!

I am thinking that the Model X 20" wheels would work good on my P85D, will they fit as far as offset, stagger, etc?
I think 20" cyclones would be a good looking compromise to the 21" expensive low profile tires. Anyone selling the factory 20" cyclones off of their Model X and buying new wheels. and by the way, how do you log into the Classifieds on TMC now? - I cant and it says my email is taken, probably by me?