Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 21" Wheels Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That plays into the comment that the 21's are more easily scratched on the curb - and also, the comment that the cornering/handling is better w/ 21's since the car's track is wider.

But... if the tires are 245's on both wheel sizes... how is the car narrower with 19" wheels? Does the 21" set use spacers for effect?

21" wheels are 8.5" wide, 19" stock wheels are 8" wide. When mounting 245 wide tires on these rims, they are slightly wider on the 8.5" wide (21") rim.

That plays into the comment that the 21's are more easily scratched on the curb - and also, the comment that the cornering/handling is better w/ 21's since the car's track is wider.

But... if the tires are 245's on both wheel sizes... how is the car narrower with 19" wheels? Does the 21" set use spacers for effect?

For what its worth, I replaced my two rear tires with 21" Hankooks which are only $190 versus the ~$500 for the Michelins. I plan on replacing my front tires eventually with Hankooks also.

I had to replace the rear tires after only 6500 miles because I ended up damaging the side wall of one of the rear Michelins (which supports your argument that they are more easily scratched/damaged).

I purchased the P85 when the 21" wheels were included and I also live in an area where you can use summer tires all year round. If I had to pay $4500 out of pocket, I doubt my wife would allow me that luxury.

On the flip side, you are correct in that they do look WAY better (but that's a matter of opinion).

My parents are getting a Sig Model S as well and since you already pay for the 21" rims, they are going to keep them and get a winter set to see how they like them. You can always take delivery of the 21" rims and your winter set and see how you like the ride. If you don't, can order another set of 19" rims with all season tires for the spring-fall then try and sell the 21" rims although that would be a hassle.

Main advantages of 19" wheels from what I've read are:
better ride
more tires to choose from (all season, winter tires, performance tires..etc)
longer tread life typically with all seasons vs. performance tires

cons:
really aren't any I'd say other than some might not like the look as well as the 21" rims

A huge Con is you can not order a P+ with 19 in wheels

Why is lower performance from 19 in wheels not a con?

Many have said the ride quality with 21 in wheels are equal or better than 19 in wheels.

I got the 19" wheels because I was concerned about ride quality more than anything else. I had large rims on previous vehicles and there was a cost to ride quality almost every time.

My thought is I will replace the stock wheels with a set of aftermarket 20" wheels. That should afford me more rubber height wise as well as greater width. Hopefully it will be the best of both worlds.

Reactions: sm01
21" wheels are 8.5" wide, 19" stock wheels are 8" wide. When mounting 245 wide tires on these rims, they are slightly wider on the 8.5" wide (21") rim.

I cannot believe that 19" standard wheels are only 8" wide. Ideal tyre width with 8" wheels is 225 or 235 mm. 245 mm is the absolute max. on a 8" wheel.
Why would Tesla do this and not use the obvious 8,5" ?
Where did this information come from ? Did anyone actually measure the width of the 19" wheel ?

I cannot believe that 19" standard wheels are only 8" wide. Ideal tyre width with 8" wheels is 225 or 235 mm. 245 mm is the absolute max. on a 8" wheel.
Why would Tesla do this and not use the obvious 8,5" ?
Where did this information come from ? Did anyone actually measure the width of the 19" wheel ?

The ideal rim width is the same as the tread width. 8.0 inches is correct that gives about 200 mm for a 245 mm nominal section width tire. There are wider wheels (8.5" rim width) on the 21" tires because the 21" tires have a wider tread width even though the nominal section width is the same.

The ideal rim width is the same as the tread width. 8.0 inches is correct that gives about 200 mm for a 245 mm nominal section width tire. There are wider wheels (8.5" rim width) on the 21" tires because the 21" tires have a wider tread width even though the nominal section width is the same.

Jerry, how does that relate to the 21" rims protruding more than the 19", hence our numerous curbing issues on the 21s?

Jerry, how does that relate to the 21" rims protruding more than the 19", hence our numerous curbing issues on the 21s?

I must not be explaining it right. The 19" has a narrower tread width (and a narrower rim width) than the 21", so the 19" sidewall is further from the rim flange than the 21" tire. In addition, the sidewall of the 21" tire is shorter so the rim flange can be caught on shorter objects. The wider rim width on the 21" tire also means that the rim flange is closer, by a bit, to the outside of the car.

The standard tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 245/45R19.
If I choose a different brand tyre with the same dimensions (i.e. Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45R19) will it have the same tread width and can I use the same 8" rim ? Or will the tread width differ from brand to brand and do I need to use different rims ?

What would be the correct/ideal rim width for a 20" rim if I wanted to use Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 245/40R20 102-XL (front) and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 275/35R20 102-XL (rear) ?

The standard tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 245/45R19.
If I choose a different brand tyre with the same dimensions (i.e. Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45R19) will it have the same tread width and can I use the same 8" rim ? Or will the tread width differ from brand to brand and do I need to use different rims ?

The difference, if any, will be small. You shouldn't have to change wheels.

What would be the correct/ideal rim width for a 20" rim if I wanted to use Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 245/40R20 102-XL (front) and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 275/35R20 102-XL (rear) ?

Go to the Goodyear site and find the tread width from the spec sheet for that tire, then get a wheel with the same rim width. I don't know the GY width off-hand. Yokohama tires of the same size have a tread widths of 9.8 (Advan Sport) and 10.0 (S.drive) so 10" rim width would be my choice.

So I have read all the posts on the 19 vs 21's and would like to hear from those who have the 21's on how they feel the ride is on less than smooth pavement. I currently have the 19's and although they are very nice riding I cannot get out of my head how beautiful the 21's look. I made the practical choice when ordering and if I was 30 years younger wonder if I would have went with the not so practical choice. So now I am giving serious thoughts of buying someone's 21's that they do not want. Will I really notice the difference in ride quality, the Model S I drove on my first test drive had the 21's and felt pretty good.