Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best Tire:
Continental ExtremeContact Sport

The Yokohama A048 Ultra High Performance are junk

I just looked the Continental Extreme Contact Sport up on Tire Rack and it says not available for the size of the Roadster.

BTW, I had kind of forgot about the tires--you know, that part of the car that contacts the road. I just had my car in to the Service Center to have the malfunctioning headlight upgrade fixed (done!) and was told I needed new tires so I told them I would check when the car arrived home. I got out a penny (that old trick I learned 50 years ago) where you put a penny in the groove the tread to see if one could see space between the top of Lincoln's hair and the tire and if so one needed new tires. No groove at all; no problem! The tires were completely bald! Sure lucky I didn't blow a tire! Anyhow, new tires on order to put on this week. I lucked out and will start checking my tires regularly again!

Once again, I got about 6000 miles on the rear tires. I get about 18,000 miles on the front tires. I wonder if that rule in the Owner's Manual where it says the when a stoplight turns from red to green you are supposed to then stomp the throttle to the floor and hold it has anything to do with short rear tire life?;)

• Love
Reactions: drewski and X.l.r.8
I just looked the Continental Extreme Contact Sport up on Tire Rack and it says not available for the size of the Roadster.

BTW, I had kind of forgot about the tires--you know, that part of the car that contacts the road. I just had my car in to the Service Center to have the malfunctioning headlight upgrade fixed (done!) and was told I needed new tires so I told them I would check when the car arrived home. I got out a penny (that old trick I learned 50 years ago) where you put a penny in the groove the tread to see if one could see space between the top of Lincoln's hair and the tire and if so one needed new tires. No groove at all; no problem! The tires were completely bald! Sure lucky I didn't blow a tire! Anyhow, new tires on order to put on this week. I lucked out and will start checking my tires regularly again!

Once again, I got about 6000 miles on the rear tires. I get about 18,000 miles on the front tires. I wonder if that rule in the Owner's Manual where it says the when a stoplight turns from red to green you are supposed to then stomp the throttle to the floor and hold it has anything to do with short rear tire life?;)

The fronts are on backorder (30-50 day wait, so preemptively order). The backs are available now. My backs had the steel banding showing, but fronts still have some life on them, so all is good. I got mine from Tire Rack. You would probably need to replace the fronts every other time in relation to the backs. These tires are vastly superior to the OEM ones!

The fronts are on backorder (30-50 day wait, so preemptively order). The backs are available now. My backs had the steel banding showing, but fronts still have some life on them, so all is good. I got mine from Tire Rack. You would probably need to replace the fronts every other time in relation to the backs. These tires are vastly superior to the OEM ones!

I've been running those for the past six months and they are great - handle just as well, quieter, and last a lot longer than the oems too.

Just finished having Gruber replace the tires on another 3.0 I just bought. Lots of options, the A048's are primarily track tires and they will not last long or handle in the rain. I have always used Continentals because I don't track the car and they last and they're the least expensive. However, the Yoko's are FAR stickier and probably .1 to .2 sec quicker 0-60. You can definitely feel it. And the prices now at TireRack are under $200!

ADVAN Neova AD07's, 225/45/17's and 175/55/16's,
Advan A052 available in 225/45/17 and 195/50R16
's (out of stock), these seem to be the BEST all-around tires right now
Advan Sport V105's also available in 225/45/17 and 195/50/16's. They are most similar to the Continentals ContiSport
The V105's 16's are $154 and the 17's are $141 CLOSEOUT at TireRack right now!
Also try looking up "plus zero" sizing if you want to try other brands like Nitto.

Just finished having Gruber replace the tires on another 3.0 I just bought. Lots of options, the A048's are primarily track tires and they will not last long or handle in the rain. I have always used Continentals because I don't track the car and they last and they're the least expensive. However, the Yoko's are FAR stickier and probably .1 to .2 sec quicker 0-60. You can definitely feel it. And the prices now at TireRack are under $200!

ADVAN Neova AD07's, 225/45/17's and 175/55/16's,
Advan A052 available in 225/45/17 and 195/50R16
's (out of stock), these seem to be the BEST all-around tires right now
Advan Sport V105's also available in 225/45/17 and 195/50/16's. They are most similar to the Continentals ContiSport
The V105's 16's are $154 and the 17's are $141 CLOSEOUT at TireRack right now!
Also try looking up "plus zero" sizing if you want to try other brands like Nitto.
Thank you for the info! Where do you plan on getting your alignment done?

Here's an interesting one. I've been running the Continental ExtremeContact Sports on my past three Roadsters since 2017. Below are the versions, and the mileage I received out of my rear tires (225/45-17) before needing replacements.

2010 2.0 Base - 11,000 Mi + - when I sold it, it still had 6/32 on it.
2011 2.5 Sport - 4,500 Mi *BEFORE SALE...TREAD WAS AT 8/32*
and my current 2011 2.5 Sport is where it gets very, very interesting. I added new rears at 40,000 Mi. By 45,059 Mi, they were down to the wear bars. So I replaced them. Today, at 48,778 Mi, they're down to 2/32 tread. Here's what I don't quite understand -

- I daily drive the Roadster on 90% of highway miles.
- I rarely floor it, especially due to having PEM fan errors in the past few months. If anything, I've driven the least "spirited" on this current car.

Any idea why my tire wear is so ridiculous? They're wearing very evenly, too. I've spoken to a few other owners with these tires and nobody seems to understand the issue. I'm not an expert on suspension, but those who might be - do you think suspension components could be causing this?

Last edited:
Here's an interesting one. I've been running the Continental ExtremeContact Sports on my past three Roadsters since 2017. Below are the versions, and the mileage I received out of my rear tires (225/45-17) before needing replacements.

2010 2.0 Base - 11,000 Mi + - when I sold it, it still had 6/32 on it.
2011 2.5 Sport - 4,500 Mi *BEFORE SALE...TREAD WAS AT 8/32*
and my current 2011 2.5 Sport is where it gets very, very interesting. I added new rears at 40,000 Mi. By 45,059 Mi, they were down to the wear bars. So I replaced them. Today, at 48,778 Mi, they're down to 2/32 tread. Here's what I don't quite understand -

- I daily drive the Roadster on 90% of highway miles.
- I rarely floor it, especially due to having PEM fan errors in the past few months. If anything, I've driven the least "spirited" on this current car.

Any idea why my tire wear is so ridiculous? They're wearing very evenly, too. I've spoken to a few other owners with these tires and nobody seems to understand the issue. I'm not an expert on suspension, but those who might be - do you think suspension components could be causing this?

Consumer reports states that the tire has a tested treadlife of 40,000 miles for those tires. The note, "tread life mileage is a comparative estimate from CR's vehicle road test completed on a treadwear course in southwest Texas. Your actual mileage may vary based on how, what, and where you drive along with other factors but not limited to weather, road texture, etc." Based upon that, I would say you're getting about the mileage to expect. Performance tires have soft grippy rubber and wear very fast. I'm getting a lot less than that with the stock tires that I continue to put on the car (225/45R-17 YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD07 LTS 2 LOTUS SL).

To extend tire life, Consumer Reports suggests:

• Keep the pressure up. Maintaining correct inflation pressure is important for maximizing tire life and keeping you safe. Check at least once per month—when tires are cold—and before long trips. Underinflation can affect handling and build excess heat within the tire, leading to failure. You can find the correct pressure on a label in the car, usually on the driver’s doorjamb. But it’s not the “max. pressure” found on the tire itself.
  • Straighten out. Have alignment checked for all four wheels at the intervals spelled out in the owner’s manual, after any serious pothole bump, and when installing new tires. Improper alignment can shorten tire life.
  • Rotate regularly. For even wear, tires should be rotated as specified in the owner’s manual or new-tire warranty guidelines, usually every 5,000 to 8,000 miles.
  • Skip the donuts. If you like to squeal your tires on takeoff and grind them on curves, what you’re hearing is rubber getting left on the road. If you want your tires to last, take it easy, especially on bad roads, and try to avoid potholes and broken pavement.
  • Don’t go bald. Tread depth is measured from the top of the tread to the deepest groove. Tread-wear bars at the bottom of the groove appear flush with the tread when there’s 2/32 inch remaining. That’s when the tire is legally worn out in most places. But we recommend shopping well before then, when 4/32 inch remains. A quarter inserted upside down in a tread groove can serve as a gauge. If the top of Washington’s head is visible above the tread, it’s time to shop for tires.
  • Quick change. The extra slits and pliable rubber that make winter tires so exemplary at handling ice and snow are the same things that make them wear down more quickly on cleared roads. Be sure to remove winter tires as soon as the threat of inclement weather passes, so that you can get as many winters out of those tires as possible.
Obviously, cannot do the rotation on our asymmetrical tires!

One additional thought. Continental has a 30k mile warranty for the Extreme Contact Sport. So that indicates Continental's confidence in their tread life. But what was more interesting to me is that the comments with the tire note that "I love these tires and I bought them because of the 30k mileage warranty, but when my tires worn out before the 30k, I was told Continental only gives you 15k if you stagger the tires ie: Back tire a different size than front, would have been nice to know that up front." Since we have staggered tires, it seems that Conti thinks the tires will wear out much faster. So staggering could be part of the issue.

Reactions: DeedWest
I hate to ask the obvious, but did you check the alignment? Even wear doesn't always mean the alignment is right.

Thank you guys for the responses. @MLAUTO - you’re right. I just took it to the SC and they suspect that as well. I’m having the alignment and new tires done today! Will update with results.

TireRack is also crediting me about 80% of the cost of the tires, due to getting only 3,700 miles out of the half-warranty of 15,000 miles.

Reactions: drewski
Thank you guys for the responses. @MLAUTO - you’re right. I just took it to the SC and they suspect that as well. I’m having the alignment and new tires done today! Will update with results.

TireRack is also crediting me about 80% of the cost of the tires, due to getting only 3,700 miles out of the half-warranty of 15,000 miles.
Have you gained weight?;):D:eek:

Anyone have experience with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06?
195/50ZR16
225/45ZR17

Ratings on Tire Rack show slight less traction (8) compared to the sport (9)...not worried about winter traction as I would not take it out in cold weather, nor do we have much in Texas....

The Extreme Contact Sport for the front are still on back order and I'd like to go ahead and replace my 10 year old tires.

What about mixing the Sport on the back (available) and the DWS on the front?

Thanks....

Anyone have experience with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06?
195/50ZR16
225/45ZR17

Ratings on Tire Rack show slight less traction (8) compared to the sport (9)...not worried about winter traction as I would not take it out in cold weather, nor do we have much in Texas....

The Extreme Contact Sport for the front are still on back order and I'd like to go ahead and replace my 10 year old tires.

What about mixing the Sport on the back (available) and the DWS on the front?

Thanks....
I'm told not to mix tire types, even between summer and all season, though that's how my car came from its previous owner. He had what I presume were the original summer tires on the front, and Michelin PS-4 A/S on the rears. I didn't have any trouble with the setup, but I guess I was lucky.

I currently have the Continental ExtremeContact Sport+ tires on all 4 corners, and they seem to be doing very well. They're not recommended for cold climates (below about 35F - I know, that's positively balmy in some parts), but you shouldn't have much trouble. I generally don't drive the car in nasty weather anyway.

DWS06 are my go to tires. The extreme contact sport are great in the dry and wet but if you are in a colder climate and you want something more protective if it gets cold quickly then these are great, or driving long distances they give you a lot of confidence. If it’s dry and warm then extreme contact are preferable. I like continental so I gravitate to their tires but the gap between manufactures is pretty slim

Reactions: ion_1 and drewski