Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and run-flats are usually heavier to support the load of the car, with the tire being heavier you're now lugging around extra rotational weight that takes more energy to brake and accelerate. So reduce range and reduced performance in braking as well as extra load for the suspension to handle when trying to dampen the energy coming from the road.

Has anyone read about the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires? Supposed to be wonderful, but I'm not a tire guy, so hard to know what to believe. My current rears are "Pilot Sport A/S 3", according to the tire. They were on the car when I got it, and still have good tread, but when it comes time for replacement (and on the odd chance the new tires are made in the right size), should the 4S be considered? I like what I currently have, if that's a guide. Fronts are the traditional AD07s.

Has anyone read about the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires? Supposed to be wonderful, but I'm not a tire guy, so hard to know what to believe. My current rears are "Pilot Sport A/S 3", according to the tire. They were on the car when I got it, and still have good tread, but when it comes time for replacement (and on the odd chance the new tires are made in the right size), should the 4S be considered? I like what I currently have, if that's a guide. Fronts are the traditional AD07s.
The 4S description and tread pattern are very similar to what many of us run - the Pilot Super Sport. These are both Max Performance Summer tires in contrast to your A/S 3 which are High Performance All Seasons. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the 4S will be made in 17" sizes.

Technically you shouldn't be mixing something like the AD07s and the A/S 3 since they have would have significantly different grip characteristics in various kinds of weather which can lead to problems. The Super Sport (and other Max/Extreme Performance Summers) on the rear pairs well with the AD07 or AD08 on the front.

In addition the AD07, the Super Sport and other Summer Tires should not be run if you get near freezing weather (or stored below freezing). Not only will they get very hard and lose traction, you actually can damage the compound.

The 4S description and tread pattern are very similar to what many of us run - the Pilot Super Sport. These are both Max Performance Summer tires in contrast to your A/S 3 which are High Performance All Seasons. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the 4S will be made in 17" sizes.

Technically you shouldn't be mixing something like the AD07s and the A/S 3 since they have would have significantly different grip characteristics in various kinds of weather which can lead to problems. The Super Sport (and other Max/Extreme Performance Summers) on the rear pairs well with the AD07 or AD08 on the front.

In addition the AD07, the Super Sport and other Summer Tires should not be run if you get near freezing weather (or stored below freezing). Not only will they get very hard and lose traction, you actually can damage the compound.
Ok, learning stuff here... Thanks.

The car's tires are what it had on it when purchased at the end of 2014. According to the date stamps, all of the tires are from 2014, and still have a bunch of tread left (more in the front, as expected). I generally don't drive the car in bad weather, so the need for all-season tires may be less important, but I've always used that sort on my cars. You never know what you will get into.

Some day when it's time for new tires, it looks like I will need to mix things. Checking on the Michelin site, the current A/S 3 tires are no longer available, but they are in the A/S 3-Plus model. But only for the rears. Nothing in the Michelin inventory for the fronts (175/55 R16). {Sigh}

Is it important (significantly) to have the same brand front and rear, or just similar types (season, ratings, etc.)? I know we need to be close on sizes (even with tire learning). What else?

Most of us run AD07s on the front, as these (as far as I recall) are really the only choice in the original size. They will outlast your rears many times over (I am on my second set of fronts, 7th set of rears at 72k miles).

I have run A048s, AD07s, AD08s and Pilot Super Sports on the rears and seem to have settled on the Pilot SS as best balance of dry and wet handling as well as decent (read 10-15k) treadlife for me. YMMV :)

Don't worry about brands. It is important to match grip characteristics front-to-rear, as you can get turned around pretty easily with these cars. I would stay within the performance ratings +/-1 (max or extreme summer, all-season, etc...) for front & rear.

If you want to drive the car "as intended" (I hate when people use that term), you really should try summer tires. Having all-season tires on the Roadster is like putting boots on Usain Bolt for the 100M. Maybe there is someone near you with them that you could feel the difference?

Finally, I can't stress enough that you (or others) do not run or store summer tires near or below freezing temps.

Most of us run AD07s on the front, as these (as far as I recall) are really the only choice in the original size. They will outlast your rears many times over (I am on my second set of fronts, 7th set of rears at 72k miles).

I have run A048s, AD07s, AD08s and Pilot Super Sports on the rears and seem to have settled on the Pilot SS as best balance of dry and wet handling as well as decent (read 10-15k) treadlife for me. YMMV :)

Don't worry about brands. It is important to match grip characteristics front-to-rear, as you can get turned around pretty easily with these cars. I would stay within the performance ratings +/-1 (max or extreme summer, all-season, etc...) for front & rear.

If you want to drive the car "as intended" (I hate when people use that term), you really should try summer tires. Having all-season tires on the Roadster is like putting boots on Usain Bolt for the 100M. Maybe there is someone near you with them that you could feel the difference?

Finally, I can't stress enough that you (or others) do not run or store summer tires near or below freezing temps.
Thanks for the info. Usain Bolt not withstanding, because of the front size, basically there aren't any other choices for the car; it's either summer or winter, and it doesn't get cold enough here for winter tires. {sigh}

Even so, unless I replace the basically new fronts, it sounds like my AD07s are going to drive the choices (no pun intended) for the rears. I've always liked Michelin tires, so the Pilot SS sounds like the right choice there. Notes taken; will wait for the rears to wear out (and be careful with the mix in the mean time). Regarding "cold", it got down to, um, 29F last night (we call that cold), but the car is in an attached garage (heated space on 2 sides), so no worry there.

With 5 more months on the DZ102's I continue to be thrilled with them. Wet traction is on par with the AD07's and they also worked well below freezing (I never drove the AD07's below freezing). I was unable to make it up a friend's snow-covered driveway but I don't think I would have been able to do so with any summer tires.

If you're looking to have the same tire on all 4 corners (195/50/R16 front) I would give these a go.

Reactions: wiztecy
Thinking of replacing my front tires - nearly 7 years old, 28+k miles, 4/32" tread. I called my favorite local tire store and they said that Yokohama stated that the TESLA tires are on a nationwide back-order but the same identical tire - branded from Lotus was available. The Lotus tire was $40 cheaper at $240/each.

Comments Please.

Thanks
Yoko AD07 fronts are available from Tirerack for $102-$105 each, plus shipping (usually < $20/tire).

Thinking of replacing my front tires - nearly 7 years old, 28+k miles, 4/32" tread. I called my favorite local tire store and they said that Yokohama stated that the TESLA tires are on a nationwide back-order but the same identical tire - branded from Lotus was available. The Lotus tire was $40 cheaper at $240/each.

Comments Please.

Thanks
The Lotus version of the AD07 are perfectly fine for your Roadster.

Time for new rears for me. I've been running the AD08Rs for a while now and they're good. Tire Rack has these options listed:

BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5 ($165)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R ($156)
Bridgestone Potenza RE070 ($185) special/closeout (with only 140 for wear compared to 180 for the Yokos and 200 for everyone else)
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec ($169)
Hankook Ventus R-S4 ($142)
Kumho Ecsta V720 ($125)
Toyo Proxes R1R ($160, lower price in cart)
Yokohama Neova AD07 ($118)
Yokohama Neova AD08R ($182)

What are people's latest experiences? I still have AD07s in the front, FWIW.

I put AD08Rs on my Roadster early this year for the first time, hoping to get significantly more miles out of them than the AD07s.

Assuming "significantly" is the operative word, you'll be disappointed. Unfortunately, I lost my tire replacement records in an iPhone update fiasco, so I don't have actual data, but my recollection is that the improvement was around 10%.

Time for new rears for me. I've been running the AD08Rs for a while now and they're good. Tire Rack has these options listed:

BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5 ($165)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R ($156)
Bridgestone Potenza RE070 ($185) special/closeout (with only 140 for wear compared to 180 for the Yokos and 200 for everyone else)
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec ($169)
Hankook Ventus R-S4 ($142)
Kumho Ecsta V720 ($125)
Toyo Proxes R1R ($160, lower price in cart)
Yokohama Neova AD07 ($118)
Yokohama Neova AD08R ($182)

What are people's latest experiences? I still have AD07s in the front, FWIW.

Tire Rack also carries the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which many of us run (I am about to buy my 4th set).

They have a nice balance of performance with longer tread life and lower road noise than the Yokos.

Tire Rack also carries the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which many of us run (I am about to buy my 4th set).

They have a nice balance of performance with longer tread life and lower road noise than the Yokos.

Those are rated one category lower than the others (Max Performance vs Extreme Performance). That can make sense for many people in some areas of the country, but for me in CA (especially starting now), wet performance isn't as important. With a treadwear rating of 300, they sure will last longer, though.

Those are rated one category lower than the others (Max Performance vs Extreme Performance). That can make sense for many people in some areas of the country, but for me in CA (especially starting now), wet performance isn't as important. With a treadwear rating of 300, they sure will last longer, though.

Yep, I did know about the category difference.

I don't track my car and can honestly say that I couldn't tell any difference in grip between the AD07, AD08 and Super Sports.