Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I'd go with the AD08's. Seem to work just as well as the AD07's and are a good bargain.

I'm going to try out the AD08s on the rear. You're happy with the traction with AD07 front/AD08 rears it sounds like and saves $300. I'm mainly looking for no significant loss in traction (safety, not racing) and wet weather traction. Thanks.

As far as I can tell there is no substantive difference in performance between the AD07 and AD08. I think the AD08 might even have a slight edge in the wet.

One thing I have noticed with the AD08 is sometimes if you launch on bumpy pavement you'll hear a tiny "chirp". I don't recall the AD07's ever doing that, but they would also slip a little under the same conditions.

OK, I need new rear tires again, so I spent another hour in this thread.

I'm thinking to get the AD08s again and be done. I've gotten about 10K on the AD08s compared to not even 6K on the AD07s, but that's obviously not scientific.

I'm tempted to get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but reviews here peg them as not quite a sticky in the dry. One question: Tire rack also lists "Michelin Pilot Sports" tires in 2 variations:

MPSS

MPS PS2

MPS PS2 ZP

The last ones are run-flat. They weigh a couple pounds more than the Yokos, but 4 lbs more than the regular MPSS. The MPS PS2 don't have the treadwear the MPSS's have, which is sometimes an indicator of better performance.

Anyone compare the Yokos (AD07 or AD08) to the Michelin Pilot Sports PS2?

The MPS PS2 varieties have significantly higher rolling resistance than the MPSS. It's not just because they weigh more. In fact I am able to get slightly more range on the MPSS than the AD07, especially if it's wet. There is a European auto magazine that tested all of them for rolling resistance and Consumer Reports tested them for mileage. Both reported the MPSS out-performing the AD08 in this regard.

Personally I'd go with the AD08's. Seem to work just as well as the AD07's and are a good bargain.

Have the new AD08 rears in my house. Amazing how great new tires look just sitting there. Just have to get them on the Roadster and will report back. Thanks for the advice. My fronts only have about 5,000 more miles on them. Really wish Yoko would just make AD08s in that size but that won't happen.

The MPS PS2 varieties have significantly higher rolling resistance than the MPSS. It's not just because they weigh more. In fact I am able to get slightly more range on the MPSS than the AD07, especially if it's wet. There is a European auto magazine that tested all of them for rolling resistance and Consumer Reports tested them for mileage. Both reported the MPSS out-performing the AD08 in this regard.

has anyone tried the MPS PS2 ZP? after having had one flat tire, the lack of a spare of any sort makes the run-flat idea somewhat appealing. i'd be willing to trade some rolling resistance for increased peace of mind.

Just ordered a set of MPSS from Costco for $174/tire. Not sure if this was posted before but they cut the treadlife warranty in half if the tires are difference size front/rear. So may get something for the warranty but got 14k out of my Toyo's (although the right tire is bald) w/ the same 300 treadwear so expect the same from the Michelins.

I took someone's advice

How did the spare-in-a-can work? I always stare at it out of the corner of my eye whenever I open the trunk...

I had not heard much good about the can crap and took someone's advice and purchased the portable/recharable aircompressor. I also carry a tire plug kit. In fact I just used the tire plug kit on a friend's tire and it seemed to work fine. At an absolute minimum, probably a better chance of getting you home/tire dealer than the can crap.

I just passed 11,000 miles on my Yoko 08 rears. Time for new tires. Just ordered another set from TireRack to be drop-shipped to Menlo.

Also, with just over 17K miles, my front Yoko 07s are close to needing replacing. Will do those at same time, but Tesla's price with installation is slightly better. Tesla charges a bunch to install TireRack tires now ($100 for 2!), but it's a convenience/peace of mind thing with me. Tesla doesn't sell the 08s.

At any rate, with over 11K miles on 08s at $212 each delivered, I see no reason to switch to anything else. I may not be pushing the car as hard as when I first got it (but I probably am, maybe I'm just getting used to brain-freeze acceleration), but then again I also did a Laguna Seca track day on those 08s, which I hadn't done on the first set of rears. In my experience, the 08s are better than the 07s in terms of traction, wear, and cost, and what's been reported on the MPSS's doesn't make me think of switching.

BTW, FWIW Tesla told me that Roadsters with the "New Tires" calibration thing on the VDS (v2.0 & 2v.5, not v1.5,) can handle the 08 replacement for the 07 better since it can deal with larger diameter differences than the v1.5's automatic calibration. This has probably been covered before, but apparently you will lose some traction using 08s instead of 07s on a v1.5. There is mention of this on the 1.5 tire thread, so I guess it's confirmed.

Last edited:
I just passed 11,000 miles on my Yoko 08 rears. Time for new tires. Just ordered another set from TireRack to be drop-shipped to Menlo.QUOTE]

I got 6000 miles on each set of rears and am now on my third set. So, if you got 11,000 miles on a set of rears, you are not driving the car properly! The owners manual states you must press the accelerator pedal rapidly to the floor leaving each stop light--and especially if a Corvette is next to you, you must hold it there. Are you following the instructions? :biggrin:

I use the tire plugs all the time, they work great and you can still use the tire until its worn, the crap in the can you have to change the tire regardless of remaning tread life.

This used to be true, but the newer spares-in-a-can are water soluable. The tire repair place simply washes the sealant out, fixes the puncture and you are good to go. I know this because I got a nail in my front tire and I called a Discount Tire place. I asked before I used the can - that's what they told me. When I got there they washed out the sealant and fixed the nail hole for free. BTW - the Tyre Weld that came with my 2.5 is not available in the US and all the other spares-in-a-can are larger in diameter, so they do not fit nicely under the cover in the trunk.

When it came time to replace my rear tires, i wanted a set that has good traction, better tread wear than the stock tires and costs less. I got a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus at Sears on sale ($480 installed vice $800 from Tesla). What I immediately noticed was that they seem to perform as well and are much quieter (especially above 40mph) than the stock tires. I can actually use a Bluetooth phone with the Apline radio in my 2.5. With a UTQG of 500 AA A, I highly recommend them.

When it came time to replace my rear tires, i wanted a set that has good traction, better tread wear than the stock tires and costs less. I got a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus at Sears on sale ($480 installed vice $800 from Tesla). What I immediately noticed was that they seem to perform as well and are much quieter (especially above 40mph) than the stock tires. I can actually use a Bluetooth phone with the Apline radio in my 2.5. With a UTQG of 500 AA A, I highly recommend them.

I looked at these; a few people I've talked to said I should not mix types (I assume your fronts are still AD07s or AD08s). Have you noticed any traction issues with the mismatched set of tires? Thanks in advance. - Ian

I've had no problems and I've had 3 sets MPSS - for 4WD having the same tread pattern is important but not necessary for 2WD. The tire sizes between front and rear are different anyways so that would be true if you rotated the tires front-right to back-left, etc.

I looked at these; a few people I've talked to said I should not mix types (I assume your fronts are still AD07s or AD08s). Have you noticed any traction issues with the mismatched set of tires? Thanks in advance. - Ian

I have Toyo Proxes 4's on the front and MPSS's on the back. No issues. The car understeered like crazy before I mixed tires and still does so today so the dynamics haven't changed.

Thanks for the insights, guys...

I've had no problems and I've had 3 sets MPSS - for 4WD having the same tread pattern is important but not necessary for 2WD. The tire sizes between front and rear are different anyways so that would be true if you rotated the tires front-right to back-left, etc.

This makes sense to me but I also have an email from a tire guy (admittedly, he's trying to sell me tires). Last time I needed new tires, this guy sold me the AD07s:

We would need to stay with the Neova's if you are only changing two. You should not mix tread patterns as each tire evacuates water from underneath the vehicle in different ways and it could lead to some wet and high-speed instability. (Which is why we stayed with the AD07's last time).

The two tires you chose are also not a great match for the Neova. Both of those Michelins are "Y" speed rated and the front tires you are keeping are only "W" rated. Also, the Pilot Sport A/S + tires are all-season where the Neova is Summer-Only so they can't be paired.

The problem is that the only tire made in that front size IS the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, so you are locked in to that tire...

So, back to "undecided".

Top speed of Tesla Roadster: 125mph. W speed rating: 168 mph I don't see the problem w/ a W speed rated tire since it exceeds the car's top speed.

If in doubt then stick w/ AD07's all the way around but that is the most expensive route. In the end it's up to you. That's that this forum is for - to learn form the experiences of others. It's up to you what you want to do with that info.