Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2/29: Utah Heating Up FAST, Owners Represent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
While others are busy talking about being all about 'the big picture', we actually need to mobilize right now in Utah. :)

If you think this only applies to Utah residents, please see #3, below. You can help.

Here's the current situation as I know it:

Tesla has an active case before the Utah Supreme Court where existing law should allow them to operate unrestricted. A well-meaning legislator (Rep. Kim Coleman) authored Utah HB 384, that made it possible to open up the existing location (where a lot of $ has already been invested) but it had unreasonable restrictions on Tesla’s sales model. Not content, Utah dealers, who have contributed to many local campaigns, have come in and are in the process of getting even more new restrictions added, such as no inventory stored anywhere in the state including the store location (which means even a demo car couldn't be sold).

The goal is to KILL this bill, and let the Supreme Court of Utah decide on the pending case, not fix the bill.

That is the message you will be sending: KILL BILL. :)

There may be a hearing on this amended bill as soon as Wednesday @ 8am before the House Business Labor Committee (http://le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?Year=2016&Com=HSTBUS)

Right now, I suggest three things:

1) Utah members – please contact your legislator TODAY directly either through email or phone call (particularly those with links to the Committee), and,

2) Plan to be there on Wednesday at 8am. Consider testifying. We can prep you for every 'Mom and Apple Pie' argument the dealers trot out. And wear your Tesla gear :).

3) Everyone: Get on social media and publicize this. Legislators don't like the heat turned up when they are suppressing free-market for their constituents. Shine the light. I'm about to hit twitter. :)

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL IN YOUR INTERACTIONS. Remember that dealerships have built long-standing relationships and friendships with various legislators. That's normal and to be expected. Don't be rude, just help them to understand what they don't understand. You are one of their constituents. They will listen to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Please retweet or tweet your own ... shine a light! Everyone hates having this backroom stuff out in the open.

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 12.09.11 PM.png

Thanks Bonnie! In light of these developments, I'm wondering, If the bill satisfies our local little league uniform providers :rolleyes: and it passes, will the case before the Utah Supreme Court still stand? Seems like it should go forward either way.

Last edited:
Tesla would ultimately like the bill killed, but not sure if that answers your question. Hopefully it goes forward either way, but the amendment further hobbles Tesla in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

Just some quick points that I put together and tweeted out tonight based on what the GM dealerships said in Indiana (this is just Part 1). Hopefully some of you are willing to testify. If GM sends in their dealerships, some of this might be handy as off-the-cuff rebuttal.
Dealership response.jpg

From today's Salt Lake Tribute (props to Patrick W for originally posting):

Legislature champions free market, with exceptions

Coleman's intentions were the same as Schultz's, to strengthen the free market by ending protectionist regulations that favor new car dealers at the expense of competition that ultimately benefits consumers.

This year, the House seems willing to accept a "compromise" that would finally allow Tesla to sell cars directly to Utah customers — a compromise Tesla can't quite stomach.

First, Tesla can't actually have an inventory of cars on hand to be sold locally, and they would not be allowed to actually sign a purchase agreement in their sales facility.

So other than that, the Utah House remains the "Beacon of the Free Market."

If there isn't one already, we should get a list of who is going. I'm definitely planning on it.

You win for best first post EVER! Worthy of reputation points :).

- - - Updated - - -

So you guys 'got this'. I'm off to fire up CT. A hearing got moved up to tomorrow. The CT dealership association, in conjunction with GM is holding a surprise press conference as we speak. I was just this morning thinking that if I were GM or NADA, I'd try to make everything happen at once, to spread our resources a little more thinly. Bah! We are legion. (Boggles the mind that the dealerships say they're needed to protect the consumer from GM, yet they work hand in hand with GM...)

Wish us luck over there.

Hey, some good news - Dixon Pitcher, who is on the committee - is a Tesla Model S owner and loves his car. A LOT. So there is a friendly face waiting to greet all of you.

:)

I have a good feeling about how things are going to go in Utah. I think the bill will just be killed and Tesla will be allowed to sell cars like they can in most other states.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I spoke too soon. As of this afternoon, Kim Coleman (original bill sponsor) has proposed a new amendment. Those of you attending, PLEASE do not let this go by without comment.

The best thing that can happen is that this bill is completely killed.

Here's a summary:

First, the "online dealer" license only allows Tesla to do internet sales only. Kind of silly in that if Tesla can sell, let Tesla sell. Why make them go through the internet only? More importantly, there is a real question as to whether customers can then close the deal and finalize paperwork at the store. This means that Tesla can't process paperwork on behalf of the customer and the customer would have to go to the DMV themselves. How is that protecting the consumer? Tesla's ability to arrange financing is also limited. Where's the customer benefit in that? This is clearly to help the franchise dealers restrict what Tesla can do.

Second, Tesla is not allowed to sell any inventory no matter where it is (in state or out of state). Again, what's the benefit the consumer? NONE!! More needless restrictions so that franchised dealers can have an unfair advantage to the detriment of the consumers.

Thanks for being on all this, Bonnie. I followed you on twitter and retweeted - though i have no followers since i don't really get it lol so I'm not sure it helps. ;) Keep your eye on my lil Rhody, in case I miss something. ;) we don't have a store (yet) but with how the politics are in this state, I would expect resistance.

Our legislature just passed a law saying your leaves can't blow into a neighbors yard. They outlawed autumn. smh.

Thanks for being on all this, Bonnie. I followed you on twitter and retweeted - though i have no followers since i don't really get it lol so I'm not sure it helps. ;) Keep your eye on my lil Rhody, in case I miss something. ;) we don't have a store (yet) but with how the politics are in this state, I would expect resistance.

Our legislature just passed a law saying your leaves can't blow into a neighbors yard. They outlawed autumn. smh.

Oh heck, you just made my day. No worries, I've been keeping an eye out. But I missed that leaf regulation. Sorry 'bout that!

I haven't been to the state Capitol before. I know where it is, but could someone possibly in-the-know drop a pin on a map as to where we are supposed to park and where exactly at the Capitol this meeting will be held? It's a big place.
Thanks.