Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2/29: Utah Heating Up FAST, Owners Represent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been to the state Capitol before. I know where it is, but could someone possibly in-the-know drop a pin on a map as to where we are supposed to park and where exactly at the Capitol this meeting will be held? It's a big place.
Thanks.

445 State Capitol (which is slightly different than the street address for the actual capitol building, that's at 350 State - so I assume 445 is the actual meeting place)

Directions and parking: Directions Parking | Utah State Capitol

I assume there will be an info desk or info board where you can check where the House Business and Labor Standing Committee are meeting, if it's not immediately obvious (see agenda above).

I haven't been to the state Capitol before. I know where it is, but could someone possibly in-the-know drop a pin on a map as to where we are supposed to park and where exactly at the Capitol this meeting will be held? It's a big place.
Thanks.
There are supposed to be 8 EV charging spots in the East lot. You might be able to park there. It is listed on plugshare. As far as where the room is just follow the herd and look for the information desk inside the door. Sorry I do not know any more than you do about that.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 1.10.49 PM.png

The meeting has begun.

- - - Updated - - -
(I don't know how to fix these stupid images.)
They have decided to not cover the bill at this meeting. 8-(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Cowards. Thanks. Well, wait ... let me amend that. :)

No doubt the increased visibility (thanks to all the owners who have amplified what's going on) has caused people to just wish this would go away. I had the *pleasure* to read the 47 page amendment (just the amendment!) yesterday and it was crazy. Keep in mind I have a career of both reviewing fairly complex contracts and providing alternative language - and it was about impossible to follow. I woke up this morning thinking that every single bill and amendment should be required to have a summary paragraph at the beginning as to what was in the document, and that the summary should be the final word if there were conflict between what was in the legal language of the document and the summary at the beginning. Truly that bad.

I'll find out 'what's next' and post. Thank you to those who showed up. I suspect the fact you were there was a large part of why the bill was not discussed today.

Last edited:
Feel better, Denarius!

Still waiting to hear if the bill got pulled and will go to the courts (which is what Tesla wants) or if there will be another hearing. And of course curious about Connecticut this morning.

This could make a great docu-drama, if done right.

Fiver, Thank you for taking time to attend this meeting. I think it is important just to be there to keep these people from doing something to make things worse than they already are.

Nope, not dead yet. They have tentatively called for a 4pm meeting tomorrow (Thursday 4/3) to discuss.

Now, tonight, please email the following (can be a group email or your individual legislator):

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Let them know how you feel about having a choice in Utah. Share your letters here if you feel particularly inspired. And PLEASE, plan on being there at 4pm tomorrow.

If they decide not to meet tomorrow, I will post. But as it stands right now, that's the plan. And I'm sure they're hoping YOU won't show up...

Nope, not dead yet. They have tentatively called for a 4pm meeting tomorrow (Thursday 4/3) to discuss.

You're good! They updated the agenda for the meeting tomorrow and yes, there it is....

2016-03-02_19-24-16.jpg

Is this normal stuff, shuffling the bill to another meeting? Or are they trying to be sly here and slip it by?

Edit:
Agenda comes from this page for reference:
Utah State Legislature

Also, the audio feed (it's audio only, no video) was pretty hard to find. I'll send out a direct link tomorrow, but going to the page linked for the agenda, and clicking the "show list" in the "Audio/Video" column should give you the option to stream. I ran across it a different way this morning which I can't remember.

Last edited:
I was told it was normal. I'm more suspicious than that. Then again, when a GM truck almost hit me in my Roadster on I80 this morning, the first thing I thought was, 'Really GM? Taking things a bit too far, don't you think?'' :)

Thank you for posting the agenda, saves me having to go look for it. Just tweeted out the info regarding emailing, will also get the time and location later this evening. If folks amplify the message (besides sending emails), that's always helpful.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.30.32 PM.png

I'll do my best to get down there again tomorrow afternoon. While there may be audio of the presentation live, if I do in fact make it down there I'll be posting the whole (relevant) meeting on YouTube after. (I work for a TV station, going to try and do a story on this.). If you see me down there tomorrow, feel free to come chat with me after the section of the meeting is over.

For those of you not used to state politics this is a common tactic I have used myself when I was on the dark side. Bring up the bill arouse the opposition, roll it and reschedule. The second time there will be much less presence. If you have to do it a third time suspend the rules and consider it immediatly or with very short notice. Lobbyists know better than ask for a vote when a constituient is in the Legislator's office. Please be present you are important.

For those of you not used to state politics this is a common tactic I have used myself when I was on the dark side. Bring up the bill arouse the opposition, roll it and reschedule. The second time there will be much less presence. If you have to do it a third time suspend the rules and consider it immediatly or with very short notice. Lobbyists know better than ask for a vote when a constituient is in the Legislator's office. Please be present you are important.

The voice of experience. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do my best to get down there again tomorrow afternoon. While there may be audio of the presentation live, if I do in fact make it down there I'll be posting the whole (relevant) meeting on YouTube after. (I work for a TV station, going to try and do a story on this.). If you see me down there tomorrow, feel free to come chat with me after the section of the meeting is over.

Fantastic, Fiver. :)

Some other notes. Kim Coleman originally had good intentions with her bill to get the Tesla store open. About a year ago she came on our station and talked about it, and at the time everything seemed on the up and up.

Forgive our host, (who was actually filling in for the normal host who was on vacation) for using the word "Dealership" instead of "Store". He had no idea the difference.

Last edited by a moderator: