TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2/29: Utah Heating Up FAST, Owners Represent!

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by bonnie, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

445 State Capitol (which is slightly different than the street address for the actual capitol building, that's at 350 State - so I assume 445 is the actual meeting place)

Directions and parking: Directions Parking | Utah State Capitol

I assume there will be an info desk or info board where you can check where the House Business and Labor Standing Committee are meeting, if it's not immediately obvious (see agenda above).

2. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

There are supposed to be 8 EV charging spots in the East lot. You might be able to park there. It is listed on plugshare. As far as where the room is just follow the herd and look for the information desk inside the door. Sorry I do not know any more than you do about that.

3. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

#23 Fiver, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 1.10.49 PM.png
    The meeting has begun.

- - - Updated - - -
    (I don't know how to fix these stupid images.)
    They have decided to not cover the bill at this meeting. 8-(

Attached Files:

4. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

They just announced that they will NOT HEAR the bill today.

5. bonnie

#25 bonnie, Mar 2, 2016
    Cowards. Thanks. Well, wait ... let me amend that. :)

No doubt the increased visibility (thanks to all the owners who have amplified what's going on) has caused people to just wish this would go away. I had the *pleasure* to read the 47 page amendment (just the amendment!) yesterday and it was crazy. Keep in mind I have a career of both reviewing fairly complex contracts and providing alternative language - and it was about impossible to follow. I woke up this morning thinking that every single bill and amendment should be required to have a summary paragraph at the beginning as to what was in the document, and that the summary should be the final word if there were conflict between what was in the legal language of the document and the summary at the beginning. Truly that bad.

I'll find out 'what's next' and post. Thank you to those who showed up. I suspect the fact you were there was a large part of why the bill was not discussed today.

6. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I'm glad it won't be heard today. I woke up with a 102° fever and I feel like I got ran over by a bus, so I didn't make it up there.

7. bonnie

Feel better, Denarius!

Still waiting to hear if the bill got pulled and will go to the courts (which is what Tesla wants) or if there will be another hearing. And of course curious about Connecticut this morning.

This could make a great docu-drama, if done right.

8. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Do we know why it won't be heard today? There can be a lot of reasons for that. Do we know if it has been scheduled for another day?

9. bonnie

Oh my, you are sick :). That's what I'm looking into! (see the post above yours) I'm as impatient as you are, but it might be a few hours before I know. I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out...

10. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

The bill status on the website is just listed as "Not Considered" as of today. Not sure if that mean just today or that the bill was pulled completely.

2016-03-02_12-40-36.jpg

Utah State Legislature

11. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

#31 Fiver, Mar 2, 2016
    {Removed because I wound up being wrong about the bill being killed for this legislative session}

12. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Fiver, Thank you for taking time to attend this meeting. I think it is important just to be there to keep these people from doing something to make things worse than they already are.

13. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Yes, thank you Fiver!

14. bonnie

Nope, not dead yet. They have tentatively called for a 4pm meeting tomorrow (Thursday 4/3) to discuss.

Now, tonight, please email the following (can be a group email or your individual legislator):

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Let them know how you feel about having a choice in Utah. Share your letters here if you feel particularly inspired. And PLEASE, plan on being there at 4pm tomorrow.

If they decide not to meet tomorrow, I will post. But as it stands right now, that's the plan. And I'm sure they're hoping YOU won't show up...

15. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#35 Zarwin, Mar 2, 2016
    You're good! They updated the agenda for the meeting tomorrow and yes, there it is....

2016-03-02_19-24-16.jpg

Is this normal stuff, shuffling the bill to another meeting? Or are they trying to be sly here and slip it by?

Edit:
    Agenda comes from this page for reference:
    Utah State Legislature

Also, the audio feed (it's audio only, no video) was pretty hard to find. I'll send out a direct link tomorrow, but going to the page linked for the agenda, and clicking the "show list" in the "Audio/Video" column should give you the option to stream. I ran across it a different way this morning which I can't remember.

16. bonnie

I was told it was normal. I'm more suspicious than that. Then again, when a GM truck almost hit me in my Roadster on I80 this morning, the first thing I thought was, 'Really GM? Taking things a bit too far, don't you think?'' :)

Thank you for posting the agenda, saves me having to go look for it. Just tweeted out the info regarding emailing, will also get the time and location later this evening. If folks amplify the message (besides sending emails), that's always helpful.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.30.32 PM.png

17. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

I'll do my best to get down there again tomorrow afternoon. While there may be audio of the presentation live, if I do in fact make it down there I'll be posting the whole (relevant) meeting on YouTube after. (I work for a TV station, going to try and do a story on this.). If you see me down there tomorrow, feel free to come chat with me after the section of the meeting is over.

18. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

For those of you not used to state politics this is a common tactic I have used myself when I was on the dark side. Bring up the bill arouse the opposition, roll it and reschedule. The second time there will be much less presence. If you have to do it a third time suspend the rules and consider it immediatly or with very short notice. Lobbyists know better than ask for a vote when a constituient is in the Legislator's office. Please be present you are important.

19. bonnie

The voice of experience. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic, Fiver. :)

20. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

#40 Fiver, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Some other notes. Kim Coleman originally had good intentions with her bill to get the Tesla store open. About a year ago she came on our station and talked about it, and at the time everything seemed on the up and up.

Forgive our host, (who was actually filling in for the normal host who was on vacation) for using the word "Dealership" instead of "Store". He had no idea the difference.