Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.48.16 limits max autosteer speed to speed limit on local roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can argue black-is-white on whether AP should allow +5 over. I drive according to conditions - under speed limit outside school at dropping-off time, but certainly not at 2AM. But I can't see any way around this, the speed limit can be changed in future but clearly cars (and drivers :( ) should obey it.

My beef is that my car speedo shows 2MPH under (that's normal of course). So actually 30 MPH on AP is actually only 28 MPH.

How is this not being discussed on electrek or Teslarati? I know they don't like to report negative information but this is huge.

Perhaps there should be a warning on the ordering forum. If I was ordering at this moment and Autopilot was the primary motivation, this would be a deal breaker. Many are on this forum for exactly this kind of info.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
You know what would be really helpful? If Tesla or NHTSA would explain what their backroom negotiations finally agreed to apply to our cars. It is now obvious Tesla is hoping to unwind the functionality we purchased because it was deemed unacceptable to their lawyers or govt regulators.

The current tactic seems to be to slowly chip away with these little updates and an occasional media player update to distract the audience. I personally find this situation and the current absence of outrage incredible. I'm constantly amazed at the power of the mind to rationalize.

Reactions: sillydriver
I just had mine in the SC and told them not to update. They asked why and I told them it was this restriction. Then the tech called me at home and asked why again, and I repeated the explanation. I hope there's even a slight chance that it goes up the chain of command that these negative changes are not acceptable to many of us.
Do you have car back? Did they update anyway?

What a bunch of jerks.
Polite term instead of the one I would like to use. In Tennessee we have a law that slower traffic must move over even if they are going the speed limit.
Furthermore it is an open invitation for road rage incidents.

It is definitely true that driving slower than the flow of traffic is more dangerous, and causes more accidents, than driving faster than the flow of traffic.

If you do that than you have to hold the steering wheel every 10 seconds rather than every minute or three minutes.
Right. So then you just turn the wheel yourself, which is even more like driving—foot pressing the pedal, hands turning the wheel. Might as well turn off AP and forget we ever had this great feature. (Still works on some highways, afaik)

In Europe it is currently "speed limit + 10 km/h max", which is a bit more than +5 miles/h.

To be honest, I understand Tesla's new policy: currently you can ask AP to break the rules, and AP will accept, and indeed actively help you doing so, but just "slightly" (+10 km/h). Actively, in the sense that AP is not only braking and steering for you, but also accepting to drive at a maximum speed higher than the legal limit.

I'm sure that in a few years we will think differently about this, and we will wonder how it was ever possible that the manufacturer of an AP which was able to read the speed limits could put in a software option enabling the driver to tell the AP to not respect such speed limits.

Imagine a software developer for, e.g., restaurant cash registers, automatically linked to accounting software, building in an option for the user of the software to choose whether he wanted to declare all his revenues, or rather fraud, tax-wise, but only "slightly" (maximum 10%). The software developer (whose defence would be: "it's not me, it's the user who decides") would quite obviously be considered having actively helped with such tax fraud. In 2016, that is easy for us to understand; in a few years, I think it will be equally easy for us to understand that AP, if it is capable of itself reading a speed limit, should, when AP is engaged and it sees speed limits itself, never exceed that speed limit.

However, the current AP1 is not very good at reading speed limits in the first place! So it sometimes tells you your speed is limited to 60 km/h (speed limit 50+10) whereas you have clearly seen a new speed limitation at 90 km/h, but too far right of the Tesla's camera to see. Only solution then is to disengage AP and drive yourself at a speed which the people behind you expect you to be doing; that will obviously become even worse when we do not have that "+10km/h" tolerance.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
But this understanding does not respect the difference between autonomous, where the computer better follow the rules, and autopilot where the computer is supposed to be helping the driver. It does not help me to drive inappropriately slowly, or constantly divert my eyes from the road so I can keep tabs on the alerts on the dash, or distract me from watching traffic by making shimmy the wheel every 10 seconds. It's not auto pilot anymore, it's auto backseat driver.

It seems many people are distracted by the question of Autopilot operating in a way to break the speed limit law. I don't see any indication that is a real question.

Even with this update, Autopilot can easily be set to break that speed limit rule on a divided highway.

Reactions: AWDtsla
Did any of you really think there wasn't going to be a reaction from Tesla with regards to some owners doing irresponsible, and even deadly, actions while AP is engaged? I don't see what the big deal here is. I certainly don't see any reason to be "outraged" like some seem to think the reaction should be...

This thread is quite interesting in one aspect, and that's the general thoughts around speed limits in that seemingly no one follows them... (I'm not commenting on my application of posted speed limits)

Jeff

• Disagree