Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 errors : Acceleration and top speed reduced, vehicle may not restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a 2016 MS and received two errors today.

bms_u008 : Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next drive

bms_w172_sw_drive_iso : Vehicle may not restart. Service required.

I turn the car off and restart and get the same errors. Worst part is the next service appointment is weeks out and need a car. Has anyone experienced these errors before? Any help is appreciated. Good thing is I have the extended warranty.

bms_u008 : Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next drive

I turn the car off and restart and get the same errors. Worst part is the next service appointment is weeks out and need a car. Has anyone experienced these errors before? Any help is appreciated. Good thing is I have the extended warranty.
Drive to the SC and tell them that you need emergency service.

...restart...

You mean reboot, reset by constant pressing on 2 rollers on the steering wheels until the central screen goes dark?

If not, please try that.

Do the same with two buttons above the 2 rollers to reset, reboot the instrument clusters as well.

As @Maximus-MX suggested, if those don't clear the errors, I would drive to Service Center as an emergency.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr

Did you recently upgrade the software?
Happened to me a few months ago , i keep driving while waiting for the appt. and the errors gone after fews days . I canceled the appt.

Same thing just happened to my 2015 MS 70D, called service guy in call center made me an appointment with mobile service for August 13th, next morning Mobile calls me and says I need to take to SC ASAP and he made me an appointment for the next day (24th July) I took my car in yesterday and gave them the codes. He told me it would be a few days to diagnose plus a few more if they need parts. I told him I needed a loaner as Uber doesn’t come out to my house. He went in the repair shop and came out told me my car is unsafe to drive. They then was able to find a loaner.
I did tell him that the error codes mean it’s a drive unit and/or battery coolant either way those are still covered under warranty (8yr drive train and battery)

I have 2020 Model3 with 500miles driven on it and had the same errors a couple more. After a week in the SC (towed from the middle of the road since it wouldn't go into Drive)

My diagnosis 10/13:
New drive unit - old one failed isolation test
Drive inverter to HVJbox cable

Estimated repair date 10/15
This is in AZ

I ran into similar issues on my 2015 S85D on Friday night:

BMS_u008 Acceleration and top speed reduced
BMS_w172 Vehicle may not restart
GTW_w018 Electrical system power reduced
DL_0014 Unable to drive
GTW_w157 Power reduced

I managed to limp my car home (felt like driving my old Prius) and called roadside assistance / tech support. The rep asked if I thought I could get my car to the closest service center...when I said yes she found me an appointment Monday morning (tomorrow, as I'm writing this). I haven't driven the car since, other than to turn it around for easier flatbed loading, if necessary. Will post an update once this gets resolved.

Thanks to prior posters who documented their experiences, you've given me some idea what to expect.

Bruce.

I ran into similar issues on my 2015 S85D on Friday night:

BMS_u008 Acceleration and top speed reduced
BMS_w172 Vehicle may not restart
GTW_w018 Electrical system power reduced
DL_0014 Unable to drive
GTW_w157 Power reduced

I managed to limp my car home (felt like driving my old Prius) and called roadside assistance / tech support. The rep asked if I thought I could get my car to the closest service center...when I said yes she found me an appointment Monday morning (tomorrow, as I'm writing this). I haven't driven the car since, other than to turn it around for easier flatbed loading, if necessary. Will post an update once this gets resolved.

Thanks to prior posters who documented their experiences, you've given me some idea what to expect.

Bruce.

Let us know how this comes out, @bmah

Hoping its not something serious (or seriously expensive).

Reactions: bmah
Let us know how this comes out, @bmah

Hoping its not something serious (or seriously expensive).

Currently waiting on a part (battery coolant heater). Not sure what else needs to be replaced. I have the extended warranty on the car, and they already noted that the battery is still under warranty, if applicable, so $$$ is not an issue (in theory).

Not completely related, I got a service loaner at a SF Bay Area service center! Yes they do exist, it's like a Thanksgiving miracle!

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Update: I got my car back today (it was really ready at the end of yesterday, but I couldn't get over there then). The part that was ordered and replaced was:

MDL S, DM, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER(1038901-00-K)

Out of pocket would have about $700, but I only paid the extended service agreement deductable of $200. Everything seems good now.

Communication with the service advisor was all by SMS, but he was quite responsive to a couple of messages I sent. They even charged my car before I picked it up. Overall a very satisfactory service experience.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Congo Line