Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also very interested in GV60. But I hear rear room is more limited than an i5, rear seat is lower and less headroom due to roofline. I'd try to see it in person before making the jump.
I was able to see it at the Genesis house in NYC a couple of months ago. I'm 6'1" and even with the front seat at a good position for me I was still able to move to the back and have enough room.

Cool.
By the way, I HATE fingerprints on the car!! =)
Looks like you edited your comment a lot since I replied.

I like Tesla's side cameras way better than the 360 cameras because 360 camera view is only useful when you try to go really slow and squeeze your car into very tight spot since you can see what's next to your car all around the car, but other times Tesla side camera view is way more useful when backing up since you can see what is coming up from the distance and you can stop if you need to. With the 360 camera views, often times, it is too late to stop due to limited viewing area.

The view is still good enough to see what is coming up behind you. I use it in the IONIQ 5 to watch out for my curbside orders sometimes. It is a little lower than the Tesla, but still a good view.

I think Tesla phone key is one of the best, but not sure if Genesis takes that to another level (doubt it, but please correct me if I am wrong).

The Tesla phone key uses Bluetooth which is not the most secure and recent articles showed that. Genesis adopted the NFC/UWB standard by the Car Connectivity Consortium. This uses both the Samsung Digital Key option and the Apple Car Key option. With UWB it has better proximity detection and can do things like open the lift gate when you approach the back of the car. It also allows you to use your phone as a key even when your phone battery is dead. Tesla was rumored to use the same technology, but they haven't released anything yet. This is really useful since I can use my Apple Watch as a proximity key as well when I go out for a walk/run and leave my phone behind.

For the HUD, it it is same as the ones in Ioniq5/EV6, it is a hard pass.
By the way, what does the fingerprint reader do?
The HUD is supposed to be better than the EV6 and IONIQ 5.

The fingerprint reader allows you to drive the car even if you don't have the key fob, phone key, or card key.

Looks like you edited your comment a lot since I replied.

The view is still good enough to see what is coming up behind you. I use it in the IONIQ 5 to watch out for my curbside orders sometimes. It is a little lower than the Tesla, but still a good view.

The Tesla phone key uses Bluetooth which is not the most secure and recent articles showed that. Genesis adopted the NFC/UWB standard by the Car Connectivity Consortium. This uses both the Samsung Digital Key option and the Apple Car Key option. With UWB it has better proximity detection and can do things like open the lift gate when you approach the back of the car. It also allows you to use your phone as a key even when your phone battery is dead. Tesla was rumored to use the same technology, but they haven't released anything yet. This is really useful since I can use my Apple Watch as a proximity key as well when I go out for a walk/run and leave my phone behind.

The HUD is supposed to be better than the EV6 and IONIQ 5.

The fingerprint reader allows you to drive the car even if you don't have the key fob, phone key, or card key.
I wish I could get one anytime soon lol bc in reality it looks like it won’t be available for most until 2025. Also range is terrible

Attachments

• E76AA41A-F7DD-40BE-BA37-6485888A2897.png
    E76AA41A-F7DD-40BE-BA37-6485888A2897.png
    337 KB · Views: 76
...The Tesla phone key uses Bluetooth which is not the most secure and recent articles showed that. Genesis adopted the NFC/UWB standard by the Car Connectivity Consortium. This uses both the Samsung Digital Key option and the Apple Car Key option. With UWB it has better proximity detection and can do things like open the lift gate when you approach the back of the car. It also allows you to use your phone as a key even when your phone battery is dead. Tesla was rumored to use the same technology, but they haven't released anything yet. This is really useful since I can use my Apple Watch as a proximity key as well when I go out for a walk/run and leave my phone behind...
I read somewhere that the hack for the phone key requires the hacker to get between your phone and the car with the phone key in range. I could care less about it. My car is in a locked garage out of range of my phone key. Phone battery dead, pull my card out of my pocket. To open the lift gate, you still have to pull out your phone with the GV60, I can do that with my phone or my wife can use her Tesla Fob since her phone use is spotty.

I can't think of any thing better than walking up to the car, getting in with Easy Entry, pressing the brake, all my settings in effect and driving off, all flawlessly since I bought the car. End of drive put it in park, seat and wheel go to Easy Entry, get out and walk of and the car locks.

To open the lift gate, you still have to pull out your phone with the GV60, I can do that with my phone or my wife can use her Tesla Fob since her phone use is spotty.
Except you don’t, you walk up to the back of the car and the trunk opens automatically. No need to take your phone out or to press any buttons. There is a reason Tesla is trying to implement the same technology.

I read somewhere that the hack for the phone key requires the hacker to get between your phone and the car with the phone key in range. I could care less about it. My car is in a locked garage out of range of my phone key. Phone battery dead, pull my card out of my pocket. To open the lift gate, you still have to pull out your phone with the GV60, I can do that with my phone or my wife can use her Tesla Fob since her phone use is spotty.

I can't think of any thing better than walking up to the car, getting in with Easy Entry, pressing the brake, all my settings in effect and driving off, all flawlessly since I bought the car. End of drive put it in park, seat and wheel go to Easy Entry, get out and walk of and the car locks.
MX and MS have key fobs, which hackers can intercept/boost signal and open the door and drive away. M3/MYs do not have key fob and the key card needs to be physically touch the B pillar to open the door and the card needs to be physically placed on the center console to drive away, which makes the hacking not possible (for now. please let me know if you know the legitimate case).
As long as you don't order key fob for your M3 or MY, you are safe.

MX and MS have key fobs, which hackers can intercept/boost signal and open the door and drive away. M3/MYs do not have key fob and the key card needs to be physically touch the B pillar to open the door and the card needs to be physically placed on the center console to drive away, which makes the hacking not possible (for now. please let me know if you know the legitimate case).
As long as you don't order key fob for your M3 or MY, you are safe.
A new report from a couple weeks ago was about Phone Key and Bluetooth which would be all Model 3/Y Too.

Cool.
By the way, I HATE fingerprints on the car!! =)
I like Tesla's side cameras way better than the 360 cameras because 360 camera view is only useful when you try to go really slow and squeeze your car into very tight spot since you can see what's next to your car all around the car, but other times Tesla side camera view is way more useful when backing up since you can see what is coming up from the distance and you can stop if you need to. With the 360 camera views, often times, it is too late to stop due to limited viewing area.
I think Tesla phone key is one of the best, but not sure if Genesis takes that to another level (doubt it, but please correct me if I am wrong).
For the HUD, it it is same as the ones in Ioniq5/EV6, it is a hard pass.
By the way, what does the fingerprint reader do?
I would want both! Having a real 360 camera would go a long way to preventing curb rash. I haven't yet curbed my Gemini wheels but I am also pretty good at judging the distance. But I've driven cars with a high quality 360 cameras and it's great.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
There's no way I would get two of the same cars. There's enough good options out there.

The MY is not the perfect car that can do it all.
There are other options out there ... Good ones ?.... Jury is still out

The MY is not near perfect but tesla has proven itself with EV's , we really don't know what 5 years will do to some of these 1st gen EV's from other manufacturers.

There's no way I would get two of the same cars. There's enough good options out there.

The MY is not the perfect car that can do it all.
There is no perfect car and the best car depends on the person and the use. That’s why there are so many choices out there. The MY Is a good car but not without its flaws. Only you can decide if it’s a good car for you and if the flaws matter to you.

So basically you have to stand there for 5 seconds before it opens? Then why not just use the handle?
Imagine both ur hands are full, I dunno with groceries and stuff. That's the use case. I guess tesla owners have extra hand?

What if I'm washing the car by hand? Is it just going to keep trying to open itself? How easy is it to cancel?

It activates when it senses the key. If the key is not with you, it won't activate. I prefer the kick sensor.