Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 MY Household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang

I recently sold my BMW X5 as some issues were starting to appear that were out of warranty so decided let me sell it off now before I sink any more money into it.

So because we are down to 1 car plus my parents' spare, I'm on the market for a replacement and want to go about the way of keeping it EV or getting a hybrid. I can't shake the feeling of getting another MY, but a performance this time. I've ridiculed people about this lack of diversity and yet here I am, being the hypocrite...

Given the price and availability, I just can't steer away from continuing to build a MYP on the website but then closing out the browser lol. I'm also keeping a close eye on RX500h and e-tron S prestige, both of which are vastly different in their own way but also incredibly more expensive. My deposit on a Fisker Ocean won't be fulfilled until late 2024 and don't think I can handicap my retired parents to just one car between them though they hardly go anywhere these days...

Help?

As much as I love the Model Y, I also think it would be boring to have two of the same cars in one household. However, since you have an MYLR, an MYP would be pretty enticing if you're into the extra performance.

For us, after I bought my MYP, my wife wanted an EV too. But we both decided that we don't want two of the same thing in our garage. Her decision was easy because she wanted a coupe style SUV, and the only options beside the Model Y are the Audi Q4 etron sportback or the Volvo C40. At the time (end of 2021) the Q4 was nowhere near being available, so we landed on the C40.

I will say that the current Model Y prices make it really tough to choose anything else in its class. If we were in the market today for a 2nd EV, maybe we do go for another Model Y because the price to benefit ratio is just so much greater than the other options out there right now.

As a multi-Tesla family my suggestion is to get what fits your needs. If that's having two identical cars, go for it. If it means one is slightly different, do that. For us, historically we've had one Performance variant and one Long Range variant. That's been the goal anyway but one time we had only one vehicle for about 9 months and on four separate occasions now we've owned 3 Teslas simultaneously. All of this wasn't a permanent state and just how things worked out.

Right now, we have a LR MY that fits the role that our previous LR Model S's did. That means that my next Tesla will likely be either a Performance or a Plaid if the right deal comes along. Before I can do that I need to sell one of or both of the Performance cars I currently have.

It should be noted that I was set to take delivery of a Ford Lightning Lariat at the start of the year but refused delivery for various reasons. Not the least of those was that we just didn't have a need for it. It was more going to be a shiny new toy than something we had a legitimate need for. As such, it didn't make the final roster.

If Tesla or any other manufacturer makes something that fits our needs better... I'll get that. I advise you to do the same and take what works best for for others on an internet forum with a grain of salt.

Well, I just ordered MYP as a second car, after owning M3P for barely 4 months. So much for diversity here :)
That decision also included cancelling CT5V Blackwing order on which I was sitting for just about 2 years ( i was told it was going to be 6 months )

Something really special will have to appear or drop from Mars for me to ever consider another ICE, or in all honesty a different brand EV.
Teslas may be plane , but they're just brilliant in their own way. Even if they don't know how to self park LOL

I'd avoid it, you'll probably end up regretting it even if you love the Model Y. Wife and I got 2 '14 Mustang GT's and I kind of justified it to myself at the time that hers was a convertible and mine was fully loaded hers bare bones. Still too similar, I ended up trading in the non-convertible one 3 years later and I never change cars that soon.

As much as I love the Model Y, I also think it would be boring to have two of the same cars in one household. However, since you have an MYLR, an MYP would be pretty enticing if you're into the extra performance.

For us, after I bought my MYP, my wife wanted an EV too. But we both decided that we don't want two of the same thing in our garage. Her decision was easy because she wanted a coupe style SUV, and the only options beside the Model Y are the Audi Q4 etron sportback or the Volvo C40. At the time (end of 2021) the Q4 was nowhere near being available, so we landed on the C40.

I will say that the current Model Y prices make it really tough to choose anything else in its class. If we were in the market today for a 2nd EV, maybe we do go for another Model Y because the price to benefit ratio is just so much greater than the other options out there right now.
How do you like the C40?

How do you like the C40?
It’s a good car. Drives well. Volvo OTA has been very unexciting, but it’s my wife’s daily driver and she doesn’t really care about those things. I personally prefer the Model Y but I’ve been happy with the C40 purchase, especially since we got it before it lost the tax credit. I enjoy driving it once in a while to change things up.

Reactions: WyoDude
Hey gang

I recently sold my BMW X5 as some issues were starting to appear that were out of warranty so decided let me sell it off now before I sink any more money into it.

So because we are down to 1 car plus my parents' spare, I'm on the market for a replacement and want to go about the way of keeping it EV or getting a hybrid. I can't shake the feeling of getting another MY, but a performance this time. I've ridiculed people about this lack of diversity and yet here I am, being the hypocrite...

Given the price and availability, I just can't steer away from continuing to build a MYP on the website but then closing out the browser lol. I'm also keeping a close eye on RX500h and e-tron S prestige, both of which are vastly different in their own way but also incredibly more expensive. My deposit on a Fisker Ocean won't be fulfilled until late 2024 and don't think I can handicap my retired parents to just one car between them though they hardly go anywhere these days...

Help?
We have a Model Y and a Hybrid Sonata, didn't want to rely 100% on electricity incase the grid goes down etc. It's also about 20% cheaper for us to roadtrip in the sonata than the model Y with supercharging.

It’s a good car. Drives well. Volvo OTA has been very unexciting, but it’s my wife’s daily driver and she doesn’t really care about those things. I personally prefer the Model Y but I’ve been happy with the C40 purchase, especially since we got it before it lost the tax credit. I enjoy driving it once in a while to change things up.
Same here wife with an ID.4.

FSD beta freaks her out so she’s glad not to get a Tesla.

We leased a C40 Recharge Twin Ultimate today at 9% off MSRP pre-incentives + OEM $7500 EV lease + $5000 lease bonus. Overall about 29% off MSRP. It has more HP/torque than a MYLR. Better deals for C40 can be had thru brokers on Leasehackr. We looked at ID.4 too (RWD turning radius is awesome compared to MY). Didn't want another MY.

I'd do it, or another tesla product, love them. We have 3 cars at the moment, G05 X5, and an E70 X5 ( e70 is almost worth nothing now so just using it for random tasks or bad weather until it breaks completely) when it does I'd love to replace it with a model y or other ev. Almost no maintenance, easy to leave for vacation etc I like the apps/UI of Tesla, supercharger network. I have a MYP, with how cheap M3P are going now would be a fun car to mod and play with and reliable

We did 2 Model Ys and we’re happy with the decision. Wife’s is white and mine is gray We had a low mileage Lexus RX 450h that we gave to our adult daughter. Both are MYLR cars.

We do have a New Ford F-450 that is used primarily to tow our 5th wheel RV. If the grid goes down I guess we could use the truck as an emergency vehicle or worst case borrow the Lexus from my daughter.

IMG_3073.jpeg
IMG_3086.jpeg

Last edited:
Just passed our Pacifica PHEV to our daughter, who has a growing family. Replaced it with a MYLR, which is making the wait for a CT more bearable.

Deal is that I can borrow back the minivan if we need the room, or taking a trip where charging might be an issue. Son-in-law has a pickup we can use for bigger loads.

Other car is a MSLR, the long trip car. So far two Teslas has been great. Life is so much simpler without the overhead of gas stations and oil changes.

Help?

Funny you mention building a MYP on the website repeatedly only to close out the browser - I've done the same thing several times and am still watching the existing inventory day to day. We bought a MY LR on 3/30/2023 and I find myself wanting a MYP to replace my 2018 RMA 1500 pickup - despite the fact that I sometimes use my pickup for tasks that I simply wouldn't be able to use the MY for given they are two very different types of vehicles. I've had a CT on order ever since day one, that's the only thing that keeps me from buying a MYP really - because the CT would handle all of the various use cases that my pickup handles today. That and not really wanting to have two of the same vehicle in our garage. :cool:

Reactions: Zer0Her0
Funny you mention building a MYP on the website repeatedly only to close out the browser - I've done the same thing several times and am still watching the existing inventory day to day. We bought a MY LR on 3/30/2023 and I find myself wanting a MYP to replace my 2018 RMA 1500 pickup - despite the fact that I sometimes use my pickup for tasks that I simply wouldn't be able to use the MY for given they are two very different types of vehicles. I've had a CT on order ever since day one, that's the only thing that keeps me from buying a MYP really - because the CT would handle all of the various use cases that my pickup handles today. That and not really wanting to have two of the same vehicle in our garage. :cool:
Get a tow hitch and rent or buy a small trailer.

I can understand 2 Telsa's, but 2 of the same model? I always thought it was strange my neighbors have 3 different colors of Toyota Carolla.
What can I tell you. I'm just boring :)

We even have 2 of the same dogs, Mini Goldendoodles, both females and from same parents but different colors.

Since 2015 I've had 8 Ford trucks in a row the same Gray color. That way the neighbors didn't realize I kept buying new trucks.

Recently I went crazy and bought myself a White Ford truck for my 76th birthday. As Steve Martin would say I'm becoming a "wild and crazy guy"!!!!