Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 MY Household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it matter? People have different risk tolerances. Personally I'd rather be overprepared than under prepared. To each his own.
Just asking in case I’m missing something. I rather buy an inflatable boat, cans of sardines and sparkling water than wait in line hours like everyone else at a gas station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Just asking in case I’m missing something. I rather buy an inflatable boat, cans of sardines and sparkling water than wait in line hours like everyone else at a gas station. Some would rather buy the Alex Jones new world order survival kit.
Thankfully the only thing that seems to get crushed around here are the bread and milk supplies when a storm comes for some reason. I'm not about to wait for hours in line to fill up, but if a storm is coming, i just make a point to top off at some point before it gets bad. Not sure how that would be considered alex jones like.

But when has that ever happened, plenty of outages over the last 100 years, never once have I heard of a oil distributor bringing in generators to power the pumps. They're just Sorry about your luck people.
In Florida there is no need to bring in generators to power the pumps. Florida requires that a certain percentage of gas stations have backup generators. Mostly near interstates etc. The lines get real long with longer hurricane power outages.

We've been through multiple week long power outages after hurricanes. Long lines at the gas stations that are open. fortunately first responders, medical personnel etc are allowed to the front of the line. Wife as a working nurse and while she was getting gas prior to driving to work the police directed her to front several block long gas lines.

When we prepare we have multiple generators at our homes and RVs. 2-2000 watt Hondas, a 6500 watt Coleman and a 3700 watt Westinghouse igen. All we would need is gas to run them which can be problematic with long outages. Topping off our 2 Teslas and our 48 gallon diesel truck would give us plenty of range to wait out longer outages. We just would need to not waste travel.

In Florida there is no need to bring in generators to power the pumps. Florida requires that a certain percentage of gas stations have backup generators. Mostly near interstates etc. The lines get real long with longer hurricane power outages.

We've been through multiple week long power outages after hurricanes. Long lines at the gas stations that are open. fortunately first responders, medical personnel etc are allowed to the front of the line. Wife as a working nurse and while she was getting gas prior to driving to work the police directed her to front several block long gas lines.

When we prepare we have multiple generators at our homes and RVs. 2-2000 watt Hondas, a 6500 watt Coleman and a 3700 watt Westinghouse igen. All we would need is gas to run them which can be problematic with long outages. Topping off our 2 Teslas and our 48 gallon diesel truck would give us plenty of range to wait out longer outages. We just would need to not waste travel.
Thanks, I had NO idea that Florida required a percentage of gas stations to have backup generators.

Well, I just ordered MYP as a second car, after owning M3P for barely 4 months. So much for diversity here :)
That decision also included cancelling CT5V Blackwing order on which I was sitting for just about 2 years ( i was told it was going to be 6 months )

Something really special will have to appear or drop from Mars for me to ever consider another ICE, or in all honesty a different brand EV.
Teslas may be plane , but they're just brilliant in their own way. Even if they don't know how to self park LOL
Will be interesting to see which one you like more after driving both for a while. Test drives lack the real world, day-to-day ownership.

Reactions: iloveplywood
Thanks, I had NO idea that Florida required a percentage of gas stations to have backup generators.
Actually it's not a certain percentage as i posted but there are mandatory requirements hat must be met. After Hurricane Wilma I seem to remember that about 20% of gas stations were open when local power was out. The worst thing was that with power pout my street red/green lights were working. That made every intersection with sights a 4-way stop which slowed travel down. A typical 20 minute commute became almost an hour trip.

Here is some excerpts from the Florida Law created in 2006 for gas stations.

"Each newly constructed or substantially renovated motor fuel retail outlet, as defined in s. 526.303(14), for which a certificate of occupancy is issued on or after July 1, 2006, shall be prewired with an appropriate transfer switch, and capable of operating all fuel pumps, dispensing equipment, lifesafety systems, and payment-acceptance equipment using an alternate generated power source.

Each motor fuel retail outlet described in subparagraph 1., subparagraph 2., or subparagraph 3., which is located within one-half mile proximate to an interstate highway or state or federally designated evacuation route must be prewired with an appropriate transfer switch and be capable of operating all fuel pumps, dispensing equipment, lifesafety systems, and payment-acceptance equipment using an alternate generated power source:

Each corporation or other entity that owns 10 or more motor fuel retail outlets located within a single county shall maintain at least one portable generator that is capable of providing an alternate generated power source as required under subsection (2) for every 10 outlets. If an entity owns more than 10 outlets or a multiple of 10 outlets plus an additional 6 outlets, the entity must provide one additional generator to accommodate such additional outlets. Each portable generator must be stored within this state, or may be stored in another state if located within 250 miles of this state, and must be available for use in an affected location within 24 hours after a disaster"

• Informative
Reactions: 804son
Our original plan was to get a 2nd Y (an MYP to go alongside the '20 MYLR). Buuuut... we ultimately sold the MYLR (last summer, at the height of resale), and bought an MYP + M3P. It was the right choice for us: we both drive either car interchangeably, though the Y is the definite go-to for 3+ people, or when needing a tow hitch for the bike rack. Having a 2nd Y seemed a bit excessive for us, as we just didn't need two cars that large.

If you don't always need the extra cargo space & rear passenger space, the M3P is an absolute blast to drive (and does a bit better in tight/narrow parking garages). Having two Teslas is a definite advantage regardless: portable user profiles across cars, single app for both cars, same wall connectors...
We have a 13+ month old baby so definitely need the extra space. My buddy has a M3P and he has two girls, 7 & 2 YO, and has no issues with storage or space. I just don’t want to be restricted in case my wife takes the MYLR and I’d have to fumble around fitting stuff in a M3P.

First time parents so we overpack for EVERY.THING lol

We have a 13+ month old baby so definitely need the extra space. My buddy has a M3P and he has two girls, 7 & 2 YO, and has no issues with storage or space. I just don’t want to be restricted in case my wife takes the MYLR and I’d have to fumble around fitting stuff in a M3P.

First time parents so we overpack for EVERY.THING lol

If you can swing it I’d get two MY. Got 7 and 2 YO boys and can totally manage with the M3 when I need to cart them around but the MY is just so much nicer for the space.

Reactions: WyoDude
We did 2 Model Ys and we’re happy with the decision. Wife’s is white and mine is gray We had a low mileage Lexus RX 450h that we gave to our adult daughter. Both are MYLR cars.
View attachment 932277
Same !!! But with model 3. I got my MSM in September (2nd Tesla) and then she picked out her Pearl in March. I was only somewhat surprised. One kid has a Tucson and the other has a Camry.

if i lived in florida i'd have solar to charge the car when the grid is out.. i mean i live in CO and i have solar so im sure i would there too

also.. id get the m3p and if youre worried about space get a roof box or something that u could stick on in a pinch

hell i'd probaby get the standard model 3 with an LFP battery but im cheap

also @Konicom04 that costco generator is pretty sweet could potentially run off your homes natural gas

Last edited:
if i lived in florida i'd have solar to charge the car when the grid is out.. i mean i live in CO and i have solar so im sure i would there too

also.. id get the m3p and if youre worried about space get a roof box or something that u could stick on in a pinch

hell i'd probaby get the standard model 3 with an LFP battery but im cheap

also @Konicom04 that costco generator is pretty sweet could potentially run off your homes natural gas

Power in FL is relatively cheap and hard to justify the cost of Solar and Power walls. The size needed to handle the A/C demand is big for larger homes with 2-3 HVAC units and a pool heat pump. Also during hurricanes when we have extended outages it might also damage the panels.

Power in FL is relatively cheap and hard to justify the cost of Solar and Power walls. The size needed to handle the A/C demand is big for larger homes with 2-3 HVAC units and a pool heat pump. Also during hurricanes when we have extended outages it might also damage the panels.

FL has the 3rd most solar MW installed in the country.. someone has justified the cost lol

incidentally the price per kwh in FL and CO is very close but FL has more irradiation so its probably an even better deal down there than here

If you can swing it I’d get two MY. Got 7 and 2 YO boys and can totally manage with the M3 when I need to cart them around but the MY is just so much nicer for the space.
If one already has a Y in the family - the M3 (especially the P) is the more balanced garage (IMO). They drive completely different - the M3P feels planted like a sports car and MY(P or LR) is a much taller SUV with the 6" riser on the seat to the floor.
Kind of the difference between a 911 vs Macan or BMW M3 vs X5.

Reactions: gt2690b and 804son
If one already has a Y in the family - the M3 (especially the P) is the more balanced garage (IMO). They drive completely different - the M3P feels planted like a sports car and MY(P or LR) is a much taller SUV with the 6" riser on the seat to the floor.
Kind of the difference between a 911 vs Macan or BMW M3 vs X5.

Actually I do agree with this now. My wife took the 3 the other day and was commenting on how different it is from the Y. I then drove the 3 again and realized it does totally make sense to have a Y and 3 vs. two Y's. Both of ours are LRs...coulda, woulda, shoulda a P maybe, but we're content with what we have. Maybe we'll add the acceleration boost in future if so compelled.

Reactions: Evpowerdan