Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 MY Household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I do agree with this now. My wife took the 3 the other day and was commenting on how different it is from the Y. I then drove the 3 again and realized it does totally make sense to have a Y and 3 vs. two Y's. Both of ours are LRs...coulda, woulda, shoulda a P maybe, but we're content with what we have. Maybe we'll add the acceleration boost in future if so compelled.
My 2-cents (worth less in this super inflation economy). Save the $$$ for the next updated Tesla - 4.2 sec (M3LR) and 4.8 sec (MYLR) is still blazing fast compared to everything else - ICE or EV wise.

FL has the 3rd most solar MW installed in the country.. someone has justified the cost lol

incidentally the price per kwh in FL and CO is very close but FL has more irradiation so its probably an even better deal down there than here
When I ran the numbers less than 2 years ago it was a 20-22 year break even for me in South FL for what I needed.

did you include the federal rebate? mine came out to about 8 years ROI
Yes. The big cost was 4 power walls. I will also say this was not factoring any electric cars at the time but now waiting for model Y delivery. That would further reduce the break even time. There is some issues with insurance in FL with solar right now and that is potentially increasing yearly costs by a couple thousand for homeowners.

I have a whole home Generac generator that runs off natural gas utility now. I could go with a smaller PWRcell battery and solar that can be supplemented by the generator at night. The challenge is enough power to cool the large house with multiple AC units during the summer in outage scenarios.

Yes. The big cost was 4 power walls. I will also say this was not factoring any electric cars at the time but now waiting for model Y delivery. That would further reduce the break even time. There is some issues with insurance in FL with solar right now and that is potentially increasing yearly costs by a couple thousand for homeowners.

I have a whole home Generac generator that runs off natural gas utility now. I could go with a smaller PWRcell battery and solar that can be supplemented by the generator at night. The challenge is enough power to cool the large house with multiple AC units during the summer in outage scenarios.
yeah i was not running any power walls or anything.. just trying to offset my use some

Not! I'd be drag racing those too - just for fun!

On your 23 MYP - notice a big difference with the new "comfort" suspension? How are the 21" Uberturbines in RI?

HA! Not sure the wife would enjoy drag racing, but hey, YOLO as the kids say? LOL!

Ive owned 2 Model 3's, a 21 MYP, and a 21 MSLR Refresh. As stated, wife has a 21 MYLR. The comfort suspension is night and day in comparison is the older 3's and the Y we own, as well as the prior 21 MYP I had. I got rid of the 21s and through on some 20s with AS tires. Its an amazing ride. I have no regrets.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
If one already has a Y in the family - the M3 (especially the P) is the more balanced garage (IMO). They drive completely different - the M3P feels planted like a sports car and MY(P or LR) is a much taller SUV with the 6" riser on the seat to the floor.
Kind of the difference between a 911 vs Macan or BMW M3 vs X5.
When looking to add a 2nd Tesla to our stable we thought we would go for a M3 instead of another MY. When we went for demo drive I had a hard time getting into the M3. Once I was in it I couldn‘t grab the door to close it without hitting my head on the car roof. I’m 6’ 1’ 250 lbs and 76 years old. So we got another MY.

The wife was looking forward to get a M3RWD for the reduced cost but now that she owns the MY she is very happy with it. We routinely travel the 250 mile round trip between our house and cabin 3-4 times a month. The MY with all the cargo and interior space is perfect for us. Yesterday with wife and me in the front seats we also had 3 dogs in the back seat. In the rear hatch area we had our parrot in his travel cage, a cooler and misc items. We also had the fronk and the below floor storage areas full. with a M3 we would have run out of space.

It's highly subjective. My wife got a MYLR7 for utility. I'm getting a M3P (next week!) for fun.

We don't need 2 utility vehicles and I want a track car. Everyone is different, but I consider the MYP to be a compromise between a M3P and a MYLR. However, if I needed 2 cars to have that much room (love our MY), I'd see it differently.

Reactions: gt2690b
It's highly subjective. My wife got a MYLR7 for utility. I'm getting a M3P (next week!) for fun.

We don't need 2 utility vehicles and I want a track car. Everyone is different, but I consider the MYP to be a compromise between a M3P and a MYLR. However, if I needed 2 cars to have that much room (love our MY), I'd see it differently.
The ideal garage if you have/need two vehicles. Track days will be much more fun in a M3P than a MYP hands down.

We have two Model Ys; a blue 22 MYLR and a red ‘23 MYP. I put 18” wheels on the MYP, and it’s just about perfect for me. I put the Redwood GT suspension on the LR, and it’s really good now too. Just like someone else mentioned, we’re older and love how easy they are to get in and out of, and appreciate the extra cargo space. Our house is also solar powered, so they don’t really cost us anything to drive. I used to own a ‘22 MSLR, but liked the size of the Y better. And selling the S during the “crazy times” for a nice profit didn’t hurt either.

Reactions: Zer0Her0
Confirmed no HW4

Attachments

• 7E0FAF61-8AEE-486E-BC31-DAB68AB4012D.jpeg
    7E0FAF61-8AEE-486E-BC31-DAB68AB4012D.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 57