Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Tesla household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone else have this problem. We have 2 Teslas at home with 2 wall connectors. Whenever I press the button on one of the Tesla wall connector, the other Tesla also open its charge port as well. Is there a way to tell each Teslas which wall connector it belong to?

I know I know, first world problem.

Not sure if anyone else have this problem. We have 2 Teslas at home with 2 wall connectors. Whenever I press the button on one of the Tesla wall connector, the other Tesla also open its charge port as well. Is there a way to tell each Teslas which wall connector it belong to?

That's just the way they work...the buttons on all the Tesla (well, NACS, I guess) charging equipment broadcast a radio signal that tell all the cars around them to open charge ports. I'm pretty sure it's designed to work this way, in any case it's worked this way as long as I can remember. If this behavior is undesirable for some reason, you can use the mobile app, key fob, or MCU screen to open the charge port on one specific car.

(We have two Teslas and a corded mobile connector at home, and the CMC's button opens both cars' charge ports if they're in range. You can do this at Supercharger sites too, although it's usually a no-op in that situation, because most cars there have their charge ports open and connected.)

Bruce.

To be honest I’m not even sure if it can even be done in software because supposedly it just transmit a 315MHz signal which the charge port picks up and open. Perhaps it could lower the signal strength or block it somehow to so only the nearest Tesla will pick it up. Perhaps this is how Tesla supercharger accomplished this. I’ve always wonder how the next supercharger does not activate your charge door.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle and scottf200
To be honest I’m not even sure if it can even be done in software because supposedly it just transmit a 315MHz signal which the charge port picks up and open. Perhaps it could lower the signal strength or block it somehow to so only the nearest Tesla will pick it up. Perhaps this is how Tesla supercharger accomplished this. I’ve always wonder how the next supercharger does not activate your charge door.

To open the charge port, the car must first be unlocked. If however you are close enough to unlock car2, it will pop the charge port. But really nothing to be concerned. The door will close on its own a few seconds later if nothing is plugged in. At a Supercharger, It would probably open everyone's door, except the the other cars present are already plugged in.

Reactions: bmah
That's just the way they work...the buttons on all the Tesla (well, NACS, I guess) charging equipment broadcast a radio signal that tell all the cars around them to open charge ports. I'm pretty sure it's designed to work this way, in any case it's worked this way as long as I can remember. If this behavior is undesirable for some reason, you can use the mobile app, key fob, or MCU screen to open the charge port on one specific car.

(We have two Teslas and a corded mobile connector at home, and the CMC's button opens both cars' charge ports if they're in range. You can do this at Supercharger sites too, although it's usually a no-op in that situation, because most cars there have their charge ports open and connected.)

Bruce.
We have multiple Teslas and the easiest method IMO is to press on the door/cover to open. This saves open/close cycles on the other cars if you're not plugging them in.

My 2x T and 2x Gen 3 wall connector WC setup. The WCs are approx 10 feet from each other on opposite sides of a one car garage, but at the same end. I did the thru wall installs with the Gen 3s inside and then route the cables and handles to the outside via RV pass thru doors. So when the 2x Ts are parked outside and about to connect each WC handle, the Ts are now approx 13 feet apart, both Ts outside and both WCs inside.
My experience, walk up to each T, push the button on the handle and that Ts door opens; no opposite T, door opening.
My difference potentially from yours. my 2x Ts are a MYP and a M3RWD. For those with this issue, are they 2x of the same T model?

i also have multiple teslas. As other have said, easiest is just touch the port. They’re surprisingly touch sensitive so it’s easy.
if you feel creative you could perhaps take the covers off your wall connectors and replace their antennas with directional 315 MHz ditto.

Reactions: kpanda17

My daughter's boyfriends / friends constantly drive by our house with some radio emitter opening charge ports on both of out teslas thinking its funny :D

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and kpanda17

Bruce.

We just did a trip and I was at a supercharger, grabbed the cable and was about to push the button when my port open. I looked up and the guy two over was just putting the connector into his car. Clearly he had pushed the button about the same time I was going to. So, yeah still works that way. I do have a 2014 at this time ( which does not automatically close its charge port door). It'll be interesting to see if the 2018 we're getting is any different.