Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years: Musk's new timeline for door-to-door full autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For one, this should dispel the notion by some that somehow Tesla had promised FSD level 5 driving would be released this year.

The LA to NYC demo will happen this year, but that's just a demo, not release to customers.

This also dispel the notion from many tesla fans who claim that tesla is ahead and not only ahead but ahead by years. But we both know that's not how it works right? People will twist and contour things to fit their own warped logic.

Example below and look at those upvotes

Capture3.png

I don't blame him at all for the delayed time line. This is a very serious and game changing advancement in the auto industry. They absolutely need to knock it out of the park. I find it rather silly that people freak out "omg but Elon said 2017".

That said, I am curious if the current hardware suite truly supports fully autonomous vehicles or if an upgrade will be required. 2 years from now....at the very least I would think they'd need Nvidias Xavier unit

Reactions: shonline
Totally agreed! Imagine the head of ANY other company making bold promises like these, never materialize on time or functional as stated, while getting the free passes (That's just Elon time, you should have known and accept it by now, it's a new company...)

He isn't building some trivial gimmick products. He gets a free pass because he actually rocks entire industries. If he needs more time to deliver something as complex as autonomous vehicles with machine learning then he needs more time. It's seriously hilarious to me that people feel they're qualified to negatively comment on his timelines. Delays happen, it's gonna be ok...

I wonder how awesome a car or cars Tesla could have developed by now if they had not devoted so much time and resources to autonomy.

I like to drive. That's why I love Tesla. I love how Tesla has rapidly advanced the adoption of electric vehicles. But I'm depressed that the company is also trying to advance the development of cars that drive themselves.

He isn't building some trivial gimmick products. He gets a free pass because he actually rocks entire industries. If he needs more time to deliver something as complex as autonomous vehicles with machine learning then he needs more time. It's seriously hilarious to me that people feel they're qualified to negatively comment on his timelines. Delays happen, it's gonna be ok...

Amen.

Like Ford, GM, VW (oops, I mean, we love diesel exhaust) and other are moving the bar forward. Um, nope.

It is FAR FAR too early to take what Tesla is doing for granted. Embrace it and stop being os negative folks. Elon means what he says - as far as the end goal. If they run inot unforeseen issues trying to change the world, well best to back off and get it right.

Sheesh.

Reactions: anonim1979
Amen.

Like Ford, GM, VW (oops, I mean, we love diesel exhaust) and other are moving the bar forward. Um, nope.

It is FAR FAR too early to take what Tesla is doing for granted. Embrace it and stop being os negative folks. Elon means what he says - as far as the end goal. If they run inot unforeseen issues trying to change the world, well best to back off and get it right.

Sheesh.

Well, means what he says is one thing, taking money for something and not delivering is another. In this case they sell $100K car with a promise of self driving, but what if it doesn't come by the time the car is old, out of warranty, and not functional anymore?

Reactions: oktane
Well, means what he says is one thing, taking money for something and not delivering is another. In this case they sell $100K car with a promise of self driving, but what if it doesn't come by the time the car is old, out of warranty, and not functional anymore?

Sold what? Did you read the fine print in the self driving option? Read it again. Nothing was "promised". Lordy. You bought hardware with POTENTIAL - PENDING DEVELOPMENT AND APPROVAL.

The entitlement is amazing in our culture.

I bought mine to support the cause. To help accelerate the move away from a world full of fossil fuels and "VW-Gates". My AP1 car is amazing - but AP1 WAS NOT when launched.

The AP 2 folks will have it best aid I hope all the AP2 whiners come back here and apologize. (and re-read the fine print)

Support the movement. This is not JUST a car. If you can't see that, sell it and get an ICE again.

Sold what? Did you read the fine print in the self driving option? Read it again. Nothing was "promised". Lordy. You bought hardware with POTENTIAL - PENDING DEVELOPMENT AND APPROVAL.

I bought mine to support the cause. To help accelerate the move away from a world full of fossil fuels and "VW-Gates". My AP1 car is amazing - but AP1 WAS NOT when launched.

The AP 2 folks will have it best aid I hope all the AP2 whiners come back here and apologize. (and re-read the fine print)

Support the movement. This is not JUST a car. If you can't see that, sell it and get an ICE again.

entitlement for something you paid for? Lol you people are amusing.

Is there online video about this TED interview?
I don't believe so, at least not yet

TED has some of this year's sessions online already but not all of them. There's still a for-fee cinema showing of some highlights coming up, on Apr 30 (tomorrow!) in theatres around the world TED Cinema Experience

I just noticed that Elon's interview is listed among the highlights in that cinema showing, so I doubt they'll be posting a free copy on the internet at least until after the last paid viewing. In general however, I believe TED eventually posts all the sessions on their site, but you may have to wait a while

It's not entitlement of the culture, people really did think they paid for something here. It's the misinterpretation of what Tesla is selling by their customers. If Tesla was direct and rather than hide it in the fine print, would simply state it like you did "$8,000 Donation to the self-driving car movement. Purchasing this gives you a chance that one day your car MIGHT do [insert definition of FSD here]." then I think there would not be people complaining. Now, if this "misinterpretation" is common among customer base, then this could actually fall into "misrepresentation" category, especially if one could argue that it was on purpose in order to get people to donate. If this was an honest miscommunication by Tesla, they should change the description to "donation" and offer folks who paid for it with the old description a full refund. Do you think they'll do that?