Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years: Musk's new timeline for door-to-door full autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take this for what you will - he tweeted today that we are still 2 years from sleeping door to door. That's my definition of level 5 and a Tesla network of autonomous robo taxis.

So at this point the logical extrapolation from Musk's claims is:

1 - Teslas since October 2016 builds will do Level 5. This is due to his Tesla Network claim.

2 - Cameras are all that is needed.

3 - A board swap is possible if needed later.

4 - Tesla has a long software road ahead.

Interestingly he repeated the claim that an autonomous Tesla will go NYC to LA in 2017.

I didn't see the abovementioned tweets, but...
[...]

Interestingly he repeated the claim that an autonomous Tesla will go NYC to LA in 2017.

Elon was a speaker at TED Talks today in Vancouver, I was able to watch a live stream of the session this morning at the public library. It was a 1/2hr interview/discussion with the TED host. They were talking about autonomous driving, among other things... he showed part of that sped-up video we've all seen already with a Model S driving itself, and the host asked something about when we'd be able to take hands off the wheel and sleep, or something along those lines - that's where Elon mentioned it being 2 yrs away, and he added that within this year a Tesla would be able to drive autonomously from a parking lot in LA to a parking lot in NYC. btw I posted a few other tidbits from the talk over in the Elon Musk thread.

[edit]
p.s. in talking about being able to drive autonomously from LA to NYC, Elon emphasized that by that he didn't mean it would only be on a pre-planned or canned route - he claimed the route could be dynamically changed, for example depart from LA towards NY, and then enroute change the destination to Toronto. And btw, although he didn't say so explicitly, I took this all to mean Tesla would be able to demonstrate the ability to do this within 2017, not that the capability would be available to customers in this time (I think that's where the "2 years" comes in). But he seemed quite confident on 2017.

Last edited:
Door to door? I can totally see it. Just like my AP1 car meets me at the curb, as long as the curb is directly in front of the garage door parallel to the driveway (many Tesla fansboys argue that satisfies the "meet you at the curb on private property" ), I can see AP2 driving doot-to-door, as long as the 2 doors are along the same street, no intersections, and less than 60s away so that the hold-the-wheel nag doesn't disable the car. I can totally see that, *yawn*. :p

Well, let me tell you about Autopilot. Everyone keeps asking me about FSD. People love my autopilot. I make the best autopilot. And we will have LA to NY FSD by end of this year. It will be great, the best drive ever, and FORD will pay for it. Tesla owners keep saying to me “We need autopilot!” and I say I hear you! I am the best autopilot maker ever and we WILL have autopilot! And you will love this pilot, bigly!. People want autopilot and everybody knows what's happening and believe me, we have the best autopilot ever!