Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" or 22" wheels? couldn't decide so I got some lightweight 21"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was torn between the look of the 22" and the performance of the 21". So I spent a lot of time researching and settled on a compromise. I got 21" MRR flow forged black Fs01 wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. The Scorpions have a long treadlife and Consumer Reports rated them as one of the lowest rolling resistance tires (hence the Verde name.) So these LRR tires combined with wheels that only weigh 26lbs (15 lbs lighter than the tesla 22"), I think I am happy with the compromise. The wheels are rated for the Model X weight wise and have a retail of abound $600 each. the only downside was they used more weight than I would've liked, and my mechanic didn't have black weights. So I'll be switching those out shortly. Sorry for the crappy photos. It is raining tonight so I'll take some better pics in the sun tomorrow. I didn't really notice any difference in driving feel, nor did I notice any difference in noise even though these tires do not have foam. The do have a fairly soft sidewall and were really one of the only choices in this in between size. 275/40 on rear. 265/40 on front. It totally changes the appearance of the car without (hopefully) as much of a performance hit. These wheels are actually lighter than the stock 20" by a few pounds. Tony c
IMG_8941.JPG

The overall circumstance/diameter is the same. The wheel size increased by 1" but the tire height decreased by 1/2" on each side, so that made up the difference. it is called +1. stock tire is 45% of 275mm night on rear. my 21s are 40% of 275mm. = 275/40 r21 tire size,

I didn't have the 20's on for more than a few days, so I don't know. I don't drive slowly at all, and most of my driving is short trips around town. maybe 50 miles per day. I average around 370kw usage wheels are lighter than the 20's

I appreciate the data point. To my knowledge (perhaps I just haven't searched enough), there hasn't been any consumption data comparing the two stock wheels to the various aftermarket options. So this helps.

They're nice looking rims, too.