Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously if you're including information about heat AC or preconditioning of the battery in your kilowatt hours per mile that is misleading and in a real sense uninterpretable. Because you don't know how much is the drivetrain and how much is the other stuff.
Well, my other option would be to drive all the time with the windows closed and the climate control off. I’m all for science, but that would have been a very uncomfortable 4.5 years with the car!

These numbers extracted from the car api by teslafi match what it says on the dash. Which I’m pretty is what others here are reporting as well.

Well, my other option would be to drive all the time with the windows closed and the climate control off. I’m all for science, but that would have been a very uncomfortable 4.5 years with the car!

These numbers extracted from the car api by teslafi match what it says on the dash. Which I’m pretty is what others here are reporting as well.
Unfortunately not close. I've done some of my own informal testing based on just driving 2 miles had a fixed speed in autopilot. That's all you need in your energy consumption tab to get enough of a flat line to get at least close. Don't have time to post that stuff as I'm headed off to traveling for several weeks. But when I land I'll try to pull it together. The notion that your energy consumption is essentially the same or worse at low speeds compared to high speeds is of course from a physical standpoint impossible. It also grossly contradicts Tesla's own software which warns you to slow down when you want to use less battery and your risking coming in on fumes.

Unfortunately not close. I've done some of my own informal testing based on just driving 2 miles had a fixed speed in autopilot. That's all you need in your energy consumption tab to get enough of a flat line to get at least close. Don't have time to post that stuff as I'm headed off to traveling for several weeks. But when I land I'll try to pull it together. The notion that your energy consumption is essentially the same or worse at low speeds compared to high speeds is of course from a physical standpoint impossible. It also grossly contradicts Tesla's own software which warns you to slow down when you want to use less battery and your risking coming in on fumes.
I would expect a curve with an optimal energy consumption at medium speed, when you cover the most distance for the least energy, with a nonlinear (n^2) rise at higher speeds, and a linear-ish rise at lower speeds where the non-drive energy consumption starts to be a significant percentage.

I would expect a curve with an optimal energy consumption at medium speed, when you cover the most distance for the least energy, with a nonlinear (n^2) rise at higher speeds, and a linear-ish rise at lower speeds where the non-drive energy consumption starts to be a significant percentage.
Don't think that there's a rise at lower speed rate of consumption per se because rolling resistance is your primary energy drain there and if I'm not mistaken that is proportional to speed not an exponent. But there is a point at which aerodynamic losses are exceeded by rolling resistance but I believe that's like 10-15miles an hour or less. In my own informal testing on the Energy tab I continued to see steady and discernible reductions in Watt hours per mile numbers down to 15 mph. They might have still continued but I didn't feel comfortable going below 15 miles an hour for a mile or more on local streets.

Last edited:
ABRP feels that peak range / efficiency is between 20-40mph

Don't think that there's a rise at lower speed rate of consumption per se because rolling resistance is your primary energy drain there and if I'm not mistaken that is proportional to speed not an exponent. But there is a point at which aerodynamic losses are exceeded by rolling resistance but I believe that's like 10-15miles an hour or less. In my own informal testing on the Energy tab I continued to see steady and discernible reductions in Watt hours per mile numbers down to 15 mph. They might have still continued but I didn't feel comfortable going below 15 miles an hour for a mile or more on local streets.
I believe rolling resistance is higher at very low speeds, especially stop and go.

The rise at lower speeds is related to the fixed energy consumption in the car (computer, A/C etc), which become a larger percentage as the car moves at lower speeds, resulting in an increase in the energy driven per mile. Of course, when stationary the energy per mile is infinite :)

The rise at lower speeds is related to the fixed energy consumption in the car (computer, A/C etc), which become a larger percentage as the car moves at lower speeds, resulting in an increase in the energy driven per mile. Of course, when stationary the energy per mile is infinite :)
True but I think the computer and all the other stuff pulls about 50 Watts - that's not enough to even move the car at two miles an hour. AC is another story and should never be on if you're trying to do an apples to apples energy consumption map of what the car goes through at various speeds.

True but I think the computer and all the other stuff pulls about 50 Watts - that's not enough to even move the car at two miles an hour. AC is another story and should never be on if you're trying to do an apples to apples energy consumption map of what the car goes through at various speeds.
The computer is nearer 200W if I recall (there are two, one for screen etc and one for driving).

Reactions: XPsionic and brkaus
Wish I took photos of my efficiency numbers when I went down to 18's with AS4's on my 2020 performance for 10k miles. I just went down to 18's with DWS06+ on my 2023 performance yesterday so it would be interesting to compare once I put some mileage on these tires.

I noticed earlier you went form the 20" stock wheels/tires to an 18" All season 4s.

What 18" wheels are you using?

I just replaced pretty much brand new 20" wheels/tires on my new M3P with 18" TSportline TSRs and All season 4s, so am trying to gauge what to expect.

Update on my efficiency this season running 265/40 Pilot Sport AS4's with 18x9.5 wheels. I drive about 95% highway due to my commute and cruise is always set to 80 - 85.
20230824_155620.jpg

Update on my efficiency this season running 265/40 Pilot Sport AS4's with 18x9.5 wheels. I drive about 95% highway due to my commute and cruise is always set to 80 - 85.
View attachment 968053
Thanks for that! I am running 245/40/19 on my Aodhan AFF7s and over 12k miles, my wattage mile is around 280w/m. I think a lot of efficiency hit are on the wheels as they are quite open and very inefficient design, IMO, but I love the look. Really never cared about range unless on long long trips. :)

Attachments

• 348733128_1391930488256326_1966520739311973357_n.jpg
    348733128_1391930488256326_1966520739311973357_n.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 54
What is the overall consensus on these tires? I’m considering these or BFGoodrich g-force. It is unclear to me which perform better in terms of range.
Well, it's pretty obvious from these posts is that they are great tires. I love them, perfect 3 and almost four season tires! They do it all, except deep snow I guess. Range does take a little hit, but that's all! No hesitation for me to get them again!

Reactions: jbrady3324
How do these compare to the Crossclimate 2 in terms of range and snow performance? I live in the Chicago area. For reference I have been totally fine with the MXM4 in the snow so range is a bit more important to me
PSAS4 are not known for being good for range or noise, but is decent for snow and great for dry and wet. Crossclimate 2 will be even better for snow and on par for range, but less grippy in the dry.

Reactions: jbrady3324
Is there a better option for range that can handle some snow?
Not really. There seem to be an inverse correlation between tire compounds and construction that's good for range and what's good for snow. For range you want stiffer compound, less flexible tread, grooves that expels water well but are quiet. For snow you want softer compound, deeper and wider tread.

I still haven't seen a review of any of the eco focused tires with good EV range that's especially good on snow. If I were you, I'd just pick something like PSAS4 or DWS06+ and live with the slightly shorter range. If you've got access to easy overnight charging, then most of your trips won't really be hampered by the 5-10% range penalty.