Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$200 tow hitch worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've looked for threads about this topic....

If we want to be able to tow bikes sometime in the future...is this tow hitch something we should get factory installed or can it be done after market? Is it less trouble, less cost to get it now vs later? Do after market options have more features or would they all do the same thing? Look similar?

Thanks

This is still confusing. They used to have the accessory hitch for free and it was 1 3/4". Then they dropped the free and wanted $200 and it was also 2". All of the recent cars that ordered the accessory hitch have gotten essentially a full tow option but limited to 3500 lbs.

So we really don't know the full story yet nor are we certain what this will all end up looking like.

But to net it out I think you DO have to order the accessory tow hitch for $200 as you cannot just bolt a third party hitch receiver onto the car. And when you do that you basically get a full hitch with connector and wiring as of right now.

i've looked for threads about this topic....

If we want to be able to tow bikes sometime in the future...is this tow hitch something we should get factory installed or can it be done after market? Is it less trouble, less cost to get it now vs later? Do after market options have more features or would they all do the same thing? Look similar?

Thanks

Yes...Get the tow hitch...then you can mount a decent rack (and have other capability for towing as well)
Here is a thread on the rack I got...Works great...

Nice Bike Rack for the X....

Interesting. I got the accessory hitch on my 90D, thinking I'll one day get a rack to carry my family's bikes or skiis around or something. I asked about it at delivery as it was not attached to the car (in the trunk), and they kept mentioning limited "tow hitch" but I was like, no, I ordered the accessory hitch....

Can someone lay out exactly what happened? Did I get a bonus accessory hitch+ or something (a la retractable spoiler)?

Those that ordered the small hitch early have been getting a free big hitch with plugs and software. Said to be good for up to 3,500 lbs.

Now the small hitch looks to be cancelled and you can pay $200 for the bigger hitch and plugs.

So that means there's only one hitch option now? (Or, I guess the accessory hitch option never materialized?) Big hitch only, good for both accessories and limited towing? If I recall, the big hitch was $750 or something when there were both options.

For what it's worth, I ordered the 90D with accessory hitch (and no towing), and I haven't received anything related to it or towing in general (I picked up my car on Saturday).
Check to see if you have a 7 pin wiring harness inside the lower bumper opening. If so, you should be able to purchase the missing 2" tow hitch receiver for $20 or so if/when needed. There is said to be a difference in the hitch mount to be beefier for the full tow package 5000 vs 3500 lbs, but no idea how it could be verified, other than to ask the SC mechanics later once they have seen enough of them perhaps. I plan on using a hitch tray and bag besides bike rack so either way it comes will be fine, however, towing a flat trailer with light dirty loads might be a nice future option. Do let us know if you have the wiring harness if you can.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen
For what it's worth, I ordered the 90D with accessory hitch (and no towing), and I haven't received anything related to it or towing in general (I picked up my car on Saturday).

Did you check your frunk or trunk? Mine was in the frunk, and no one thought to let me know about it until after I asked. But I assume you've been all over your car since you received it... It was wrapped in thick plastic. Nice and hefty feeling piece of metal. I haven't actually unwrapped mine to see if there's any wiring associated with it, but I will as soon as I get home.

Did you check your frunk or trunk? Mine was in the frunk, and no one thought to let me know about it until after I asked. But I assume you've been all over your car since you received it... It was wrapped in thick plastic. Nice and hefty feeling piece of metal. I haven't actually unwrapped mine to see if there's any wiring associated with it, but I will as soon as I get home.

My hitch did not come with my X. The SC said it would ship it to me.

Check to see if you have a 7 pin wiring harness inside the lower bumper opening. If so, you should be able to purchase the missing 2" tow hitch receiver for $20 or so if/when needed. There is said to be a difference in the hitch mount to be beefier for the full tow package 5000 vs 3500 lbs, but no idea how it could be verified, other than to ask the SC mechanics later once they have seen enough of them perhaps. I plan on using a hitch tray and bag besides bike rack so either way it comes will be fine, however, towing a flat trailer with light dirty loads might be a nice future option. Do let us know if you have the wiring harness if you can.
FullSizeRender.jpg

It came also the wire bundle in the bumper compartment. Looking at the writing looks like I have the full tow package. Someone mentioned above that tow capacity is related to wheel size, and voila! There it is!

Isn't the weight limit with just the tow hitch 125 lb though??
That should have been for the older smaller original hitch. The 2" hitch receiver shows 500lbs based on 20" tires.
From the manual on page 73:
"Model X is designed to support a bicycle carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg)."
But this is referring to the 1.25" hitch.
The $200 accessory hitch calls it a 2" receiver and will fit all 2" accessories.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuplexDianne
It seems the "Accessory Hitch" that was hidden behind a nicely sculpted cutout in the bumper we saw at the reveal is MIA at the moment and all that ordered it are getting the full "Towing Package" with a verbal warning that it will only tow 3500 lbs.

Some assume that is because it didn't get the full internal reinforcements that the full tow package likely comes with. No way to verify this without taking the rear end of a couple X's equipped with each package apart and comparing them. I'm not so sure I'd want to find out the towing limit of the the "Accessory Hitch" equipped version the hard way though. ;-)