Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B5716EEE-184D-4BC4-89CB-66E440F13E4F.jpeg

WOW! I am impressed with the mileage! Have you had a battery replacement in all those miles?

to follow up - I did (fortunately) have a battery replacement at 200k. At the time, full range was about 228 miles. The battery worked well, but it started to err on calculating remaining range especially at less than 20 percent state of charge. This was apparently a known firmware issue for which Tesla preferred to replace the entire battery

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
My car posted a notice for software update to 2019.40.2. Does anyone know what this update does for us classics?

It added the option to have the car charge based on when you are going to be leaving or "scheduled departure", And it added "automatic navigation" which is supposed to route you to your most likely destination upon entering the car if you have calendar enabled with the information in your calendar and or have your home and work addresses programmed in to your car's NAV.

2019.32.12 has the wheels config option. Departure scheduling and auto nav were introduced fleet wide in 2019.36. I’m afraid Tesla is pushing an update to disable satellite map view and live traffic presentation since I bought my classic after the lifetime premium connectivity cutoff date. Hoping that if I don’t update, I’ll keep those features. Comunal thoughts?

2019.32.12 has the wheels config option. Departure scheduling and auto nav were introduced fleet wide in 2019.36. I’m afraid Tesla is pushing an update to disable satellite map view and live traffic presentation since I bought my classic after the lifetime premium connectivity cutoff date. Hoping that if I don’t update, I’ll keep those features. Comunal thoughts?

Is your car a 2012? If it's a Signature or a 2013 maybe even a 2014 it should be grandfathered into all of those things I don't think you'll have to worry about losing premium connectivity etc. In those days all those benefits remained with the car along with free unlimited supercharging.

Although I guess I did hear recently that some vehicles listed for sale by Tesla had free unlimited supercharging removed even though they would have been of the vintage that should have it enabled for life.

Although I guess I did hear recently that some vehicles listed for sale by Tesla had free unlimited supercharging removed even though they would have been of the vintage that should have it enabled for life.

And the same is true for premium connectivity on any used Tesla purchased from Tesla after June 30, 2018. Lifetime premium connectivity is removed as soon as Tesla takes possession of the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
I’m loosing Premium connectivity after Dec 31, 2019. I bought my ‘12 Sig from Tesla after the cutoff date. Looks like the 40.x firmware update wasn’t what removes it. But rumor is, no root persistence with 40.x+. So I’m skipping this one, for now.

Attachments

• 2584B7BC-55A8-4B4C-BB50-443D84F41855.jpeg
    2584B7BC-55A8-4B4C-BB50-443D84F41855.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 52
Just updated to 2019.40.2.1 about an hour ago. (was notified of the update yesterday) but could not down the car until now.
Release notes are the same as for 2019.40.2 It has the standard "performance improvements and bug fixes" at the top of the release notes.

to follow up - I did (fortunately) have a battery replacement at 200k. At the time, full range was about 228 miles. The battery worked well, but it started to err on calculating remaining range especially at less than 20 percent state of charge. This was apparently a known firmware issue for which Tesla preferred to replace the entire battery
Can you tell me more about this? What did your service visit state? I have a friend with an early Model S, and he can’t let the battery go below 20% without the risk of being stranded. The car has died numerous times below 20%, like 11%, 14% and even 18%. Also, it won’t charge above 95%. The service center says it’s because he’s supercharged too many times, and since the car still works (technically the battery hasn’t failed), they won’t replace the battery. :( The car has about 180k miles on it. Thoughts?

Since I bought my 2012 from Tesla after the cutoff date, my premium connectivity ends Dec 31. This sucks, but I’m not paying $10/mo for sat maps and live traffic visualizations. Everything else can be done via cell phone Bluetooth or hotspotting.

Things are complicated now bc of battery-gate
My explanation is based on personal communication, not written.
Ok, I’m just curious what the reason was for replacing the battery. One that dies below 20% and fails to charge above 95% is not practical to use; it seems it would be deemed “failed”, and Tesla would replace it. Anything you can share would be appreciated. Thank you.