Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never seen that before, but I imagine it indicates your battery is cold and is being warmed up?

I had thought that a possibility too, but the last time I saw the battery heating icon it was between the seats in the console area and looked like a miniature version of the seat heater icons when they're turned on. But I guess it seems that's the only thing that makes sense is what you say that it is in fact the battery heating indicator.

What software version are you on now @tccartier ?
Screenshot_20200213-155649~2.png

Another bout of not-so-super supercharging :-( not sure about the validity of battery gate but I do know my charging speeds at superchargers have slowed down by almost half. It now takes nearly twice as long. In the picture you can see I'm already tapered down below 60 kilowatts at only 30 or so percent state of charge.
IMG_20200218_124402.jpg

@tccartier , you clearly have charge-gate. I was fortunate enough to get a Rev D battery replacement Spring of '19 and I too am already experiencing charge-gate for even a "new" battery. I haven't been keeping up with the monster battery/charge-gate thread (or any ancillary ones either), so I'm not sure what the latest news is on this.

That's old news ... Aug '19, much has changed since then. We 'old' folks are just running on borrowed time until Tesla feels we need to buy a new car (remember iPhone's planned obsolescence theories). I for one do not appreciate having my 'sustainable' car forced into obsolescence because I cannot upgrade a few parts and extend the usable life of the existing materials. Sure I could sell it and get the latest tech, but that doesn't negate the fact that the original sustainable car isn't very sustainable. It just boils my peanuts!

I recently suspected a higher than normal vampire drain on my 2012 Sig Model S battery.
For a test the car was parked inside (60F) , state of charge 90% and computers rebooted. There was a faint electric motor sound coming from the front of the car that the reboot did not clear.
Battery lost 12 miles in 14 hours.

I haven't fully charged the battery for some time. Battery pack was replace in 2014 with version B I believe.

Is this just a function of the age of the car or is there some battery balancing that needs to be done ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tccartier
I recently suspected a higher than normal vampire drain on my 2012 Sig Model S battery.
For a test the car was parked inside (60F) , state of charge 90% and computers rebooted. There was a faint electric motor sound coming from the front of the car that the reboot did not clear.
Battery lost 12 miles in 14 hours.

I haven't fully charged the battery for some time. Battery pack was replace in 2014 with version B I believe.

Is this just a function of the age of the car or is there some battery balancing that needs to be done ?

Add my signature to the list of cars doing that also. It didn't always used to do it although I have heard it years ago when I first got the car but never as frequently as I do now just kind of like a faint wearing sound as if some type of pump is running. Does not seem to matter if car is plugged in or not. Seems to me that it began happening about two rounds of updates ago I don't know probably the last of the 2019 updates. Just guessing. my battery pack was also replaced in 2016 with a b pack.

Add my signature to the list of cars doing that also. It didn't always used to do it although I have heard it years ago when I first got the car but never as frequently as I do now just kind of like a faint wearing sound as if some type of pump is running. Does not seem to matter if car is plugged in or not. Seems to me that it began happening about two rounds of updates ago I don't know probably the last of the 2019 updates. Just guessing. my battery pack was also replaced in 2016 with a b pack.
I think you are correct about the pump.
Since I first posted, the battery is down 25 miles and I drove 2.8 miles . Usually all systems shut down during a reboot but the sound persisted during my latest reboot attempt this morning. Could it be the BMS cooling pump running on low ? For me it seems to have started since the recent last 2 software updates. 1 came days after the other about a week or so ago , now version 10.2 (2020.8.1.1) Must be a software bug they were trying to fix.. What is the best way to report it ? Maybe if more people chime in, they will do something sooner rather than later.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Sounds like the thermal pump are either failing or about to fail. Mine ran constantly until I took it in to service. Here is an excerpt from my invoice:

Tested thermal system and found the powertrain coolant pump is not operating properly causing issues, noise and alerts.
Replaced all three coolant pumps. Vehicle now passes thermal test. Completed.

Correction: Powertrain Coolant Pump 1 - 1st Generation (RWD) (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, MOTOR INVERTER COOLANT(6007373-00-C) 1.0
Correction: Battery Coolant Pump 1 - 1st Generation (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, BATTERY COOLANT 2(6008047-00-C) 1.0
Correction: Battery Coolant Pump 2 - 1st Generation (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, BATTERY COOLANT 1(6007367-00-C) 1.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

• Helpful
Reactions: Zapped
Sounds like the thermal pump are either failing or about to fail. Mine ran constantly until I took it in to service. Here is an excerpt from my invoice:

Tested thermal system and found the powertrain coolant pump is not operating properly causing issues, noise and alerts.
Replaced all three coolant pumps. Vehicle now passes thermal test. Completed.

Correction: Powertrain Coolant Pump 1 - 1st Generation (RWD) (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, MOTOR INVERTER COOLANT(6007373-00-C) 1.0
Correction: Battery Coolant Pump 1 - 1st Generation (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, BATTERY COOLANT 2(6008047-00-C) 1.0
Correction: Battery Coolant Pump 2 - 1st Generation (Remove & Replace)
PUMP, BATTERY COOLANT 1(6007367-00-C) 1.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Warranty ?, or if not, would you mind if I ask how much $ ?
My extended warranty has expired.