Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S Free charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, If....
1) Tesla has evidently started offering cash to existing owners who want to stop the lifetime free supercharging. If I were getting ready to sell, I'd be asking Tesla about this.
2) If the car has never been traded to Tesla. Tesla didn't use to remove the Free Supercharging, but they can do anything to it if it is in their legal possession. I am not sure considering Item 1 if they are not removing the free supercharging now. Haven't heard of any particular cars where this was done.

Generally, any 2013 model S has free transferrable supercharging.

Car Dealership may have gotten the car at auction, and that ususally means that Tesla may have received it in a trade. Tesla is usually very stingy about giving any info about a used Tesla. Since Tesla removing the Unlimited Free Supercharging(UFS) has just started on these earlier year cars, who can say? If the car is advertised as UFS by the dealer, you may have some recourse if it doesn't have this feature when the car is transferred to you. Tough to say definitively any more in my opinion. 6 months ago, it would be nearly a certainty UFS would transfer to you.

@luke68bird Solid answer is that it stays permanently with the car as long as Tesla has never bought the car back at any point, as @DerbyDave mentioned. But you would have to know the history of the owners of the car to make sure it was never traded back to Tesla at any point. But any sales to dealerships or other private parties wouldn't affect that permanent free Supercharging.

Dealer has no information, called Tesla with the VIN and they would not tell me service history, stated they would only give history to current owner or dealer, dealer says they have had poor luck with getting anything from Tesla. Hesitant to buy a 2013 without knowing if motor has been changed out, looks like MCU was changed. Car is in decent shape for 20K$ with 100K miles, worth a look?